ICS Saga Edition is a new custom ROM that can be installed on your device and now you can find all the instructions on how to do that in this post. Make sure to read the entire article and do not even think about skipping any steps as that will prove to be a failed attempt to install the ROM.
ICS Saga Edition uses Android 4.0.3 and it is Sense 4 with full support. All Android functions are working, except for the Wi-Fi tethering which should be fixed in future releases of this ROM firmware. It is a new custom firmware ROM that has been created only several days ago and you should only install it if you wish to test it, as there is still much work to be done until it will manage to establish itself as a powerful tool that you can use to improve your HTC Desire S device.
If you wish to install this ROM, then you should know that your device should be rooted. It uses a 3.0.16 stock kernel and before moving to the tutorial guide you should read the instructions listed under the pre-requisites info. Below you can find several guidelines that will help you to install ICE Saga Edition successfully on your phone. Here’s what you need to know:
- because you will need to wipe the data of your phone, it means that you’ll have to move the important files such as videos, photos, audio, ebooks, bookmarks and all other. These need to be transferred on your phone’s internal sd card as this will be left unchanged during the update. Also, you can move these files on your computer and after the ICS Saga Edition is installed you can restore them back to their original location.
- Applications, call logs and SMS text messages should be also backed up. If you wish to do it, then you should use these three applications: AppBak application to backup Android apps | SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore. Make sure to read the instructions listed in these guides and after you’re done you should return to this post.
- all your phone contacts and their info can be synced with your Gmail account. If you cannot do it, then you should read our guide on how to sync Contacts with Gmail on Android smartphones.
- You need to backup your APN Settings. Learn here. This will help you restore your original internet carrier settings in case you won’t be able to browse the internet after the update is complete.
- make sure that you don’t forget to fully charge your phone’s battery. This will prevent your Desire S device from powering OFF while you’re installing the new ROM firwmare.
- because the ICS Saga Edition is still in its first stages of development, you should create a full backup of the current Android OS firmware, and in case you don’t like the new one then you can easily restore the backup and you won’t regret anything. ROM backups can be created with ROM Manager, CWM Recovery, ROM Toolbot Lite or with any other similar Android app that you can find in Google Play Store.
I think that these were all the instructions you had to know before moving to the part that really interests you, which is to learn how to upgrade your device to a brand new custom ROM firmware.
NOTE that we cannot be held responsible if something goes wrong and your device is bricked, as these steps should be applied only by advanced Android users. If you still wish to go on installing this ROM and you didn’t quite understood some instructions listed here then you should ask me in comments and I will help you. Now that all has been said, you can move to the tutorial guide and you can start updating your phone’s firmware.
How to update HTC Desire S to ICS Saga Edition Android 4.0.3 custom ROM firwmare:
- Download the ICS Saga Edition custom ROM zip package. Do not extract its files, simply save it on your computer’s desktop.
- Connect your HTC Desire S to your PC. Move the ROM file on your phone’s internal sdcard and after this, disconnect the phone and power it off as you’ll need to boot into recovery mode.
- Now, boot into any custom recovery.
- Perform a full wipe process and factory reset your Desire S phone. When done, move to the next step.
- Now, select ‘install zip from sdcard’ and after this you need to select ‘choose zip from sdcard’.
- Point the recovery menu to the location where you’ve place the ROM zip file. Confirm its installation and wait for the update to be complete.
- Reboot your phone now by selecting the restart option recovery.
- The HTC Desire S will now start its first boot with ICS Saga Edition custom ROM. Please note that this process should take between 5 to 10 minutes and the only thing that you can do is to wait for it to boot into your brand new ICS home screen.
- Enter your Google account details and that would be all.
Please note that in case your HTC device perform a boot loop or it freezes then you will have to power it off. After that you need to power it back ON and repeat the entire installation process, only that this time you should carefully re-apply all the steps listed above without skipping any steps. Make sure to perform the full wipe step as that is a very important action if you wish to update to ICS Saga Edition Android 4.0.3 custom ROM firmware.
If you have any extra questions then please feel free to ask us in comments. Also, you can use browse our website for multiple other HTC Desire S and Android related guides and you might learn new tips and tricks on how to improve the overall performances of your device.