Update HTC Desire S with Fallout ROM ICS 4.0.3 Android custom ROM Firmware
Fallout ROM ICS is a very new custom ROM that can be installed on HTC Desire S. If you continue reading this post you will learn how to successfully install and update your DS to Android 4.0.3 ICS with Fallout custom ROM by ‘lowveld’, an user from XDA community.
It is based on Android 4.0.3 and it uses Sense 4.0A, it is full deodexed, zip aligned, root permissions and superuser has been added. The boot image is unsecured and it will add busybox, also. It comes with an ad-blocker and several tweaks and improvements that are should make your Desire S to run much more smoothly. There are multiple other features and functions, but it would be better for you to discover these yourself. However, the Wi-fi hotspot isn’t working and we should expect a future release for this to be fixed.
Before we can move to the tutorial guide you need to read the preparation guidelines; these will teach you how to properly configure your HTC Desire S for the firmware update process. Make sure to read all the lines below and if you cannot understand what I’m telling you to do, then you should ask for more help in comments. For this guide to complete successfully and install Fallout ICS ROM on your DS device, you should be an advanced Android user who knows how to flash custom recoveries, root phones and unlock bootloaders.
Here’s what you need to know before starting to update the ROM firmware of your HTC Desire S smartphone:
- your device should be rooted along with CWM recovery or with any other form of custom recovery image should be installed.
- since you will be installing a totally brand new custom ROM, it means that you’ll have to perform a wipe data and factory reset operation, which means that before going to the tutorial guide you should make sure that all your important files are copied to your device’s internal sdcard. Alternatively, you can move them on your PC and after the update is complete you can move them back on your Desire S phone.
- Android applications, SMS text and Call Logs info should be also backed up. Here’s three applications that will help you do just that: AppBak application | SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore.
- Phone Contacts can be saved by syncing your device with your Gmail account. For those who didn’t know that this was possible, then I strongly recommend you to read this guide here and learn how to do it.
- APN Settings are the ones that allow your phone to connect to the internet and after the update is complete, their values might get changed, which is way you should back these up. The APN backup and restore application for Android will help you do that.
- make sure that you’ve fully charger the battery of your HTC Desire S, as we wouldn’t what the phone to power off in the middle of the ICS updating process.
- If your device is rooted and CWM Recovery or ROM Manager apps are installed on it, then you should create a full backup of the current installed ROM. This will help you restore it in case the Fallout ICS ROM for Desire S doesn’t work as you’ve expected it to run before installing it.
These are all the guidelines you had to read and now you’re free to move to the tutorial guide. We will first install the full Flatout ROM and after that you will need to flash its latest update. All the instructions you need are listed in the tutorial guide.
Also, note that you’re installing Fallout ICS custom ROM on your Desire S at your own risk and we cannot be held responsible if anything goes wrong and your device gets damaged in the process. Make sure to read all steps and in case you cannot complete the update, then you should ask for our help by leaving a reply in the comments section. That’s it, now you can move to the ‘how-to’ guide.
How to update HTC Desire S with Flatout ICS 4.0.4 Android custom ROM firmware:
- Download the Flatout ICS ROM zip package. This is the full ROM installation. Save it on your computer.
- Now, download the Flatout ICS ROM update zip file. Save this one on your computer, too.
- Connect your phone to your PC and then move the above downloaded zip files on its internal sdcard. When that’s complete you should disconnect it form your computer and then power it OFF.
- Boot into recovery mode and first thing you need to do is to wipe data and cache. Complete these actions and after this you can move to the next step.
- Now, select ‘install zip from sdcard’ and after this you will be taken to a new recovery screen where you have to select ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the full Flatout ICS ROM zip file and confirm its installation. It should be the file you downloaded at step 1.
- Repeat the actions at step 5, only that this time you have to select the second updating zip to flash. It is the one you downloaded at step 2.
- After both, full ROM zip and updater zip, files have been successfully flashed it means that you’re ready to reboot your device.
- Now, your HTC Desire S will perform its first boot* with the new custom ROM.
- Enter your Google account info and you’re done, Flatout ICS has been successfully installed on your Desire S phone.
*Please note that in case the first boot takes over 20 minutes to boot or it performs a boot loop, then it means that you didn’t manage to correctly update your phone. You have to repeat the entire process and the second time you need to make sure that you respect the entire tutorial guide. Make sure to wipe all data and perform a factory reset before installing the ROM firmware.
After you’ve updated your HTC Desire S to Android 4.0.3 ICS with Flatout custom ROM, you should start customizing its functions, install a new launcher and configure the home screens to better suit your needs.
For any other questions you should use the comments field and we will gladly help you with whatever problem you’ve encountered while trying to update your DS to a brand new ROM firmware.