Update HTC Desire with ParanoidAndroid Jelly Bean 4.1 custom ROM Port
ParanoidAndroid is one of the most popular custom ROMs and now it it based on the Jelly Bean 4.1 ROM and you can use the instructions listed in this article to update your HTC Desire with it. Make sure that you read the entire article to be certain that you know exactly what it means to install a custom ROM on your smartphone. However, if you’re an advanced Android user, then it means that you know how to install a custom ROM and this process shouldn’t more than 5 minutes.
This custom ROM has been ported by ‘marius.a’ from XDA Senior Member and it brings the Phablet mode for your HTC Desire phone. Besides this, you will get all the ParanoidAndroid features and the Jelly Bean 4.1 functions. Install this ROM on your phone, but first you should create a full backup of the existing ROM. The Jelly Bean OS comes with a smoother interface, Google Now, expandable notifications, smart keyboard and the improved voice recognition. In order to correctly install this custom ROM you should read the preparation guide so that you learn how to backup applications, SMS and other files.
This ROM is currently under development and since it isn’t an official release it might still pack some bugs and errors. That’s why we ask you to post any bugs found into our comments section. Now that you know all this, I think that you should move to the preparation guide and learn how to correctly prepare for the installation of ParanoidAndroid phablet Jelly Bean custom ROM on your HTC Desire smartphone:
- Install this ROM only on the HTC Desire device. It won’t work with any other smartphone or tablet, which is why you shouldn’t attempt to flash it.
- Your device should be unlocked, rooted and running a custom Recovery image like the CWM Recovery or TWRP recovery. If your device meets these requirements, you can move to the next step, as if otherwise, it won’t work and you won’t be able to flash the ROM.
- Backup your existing ROM. This backup file might become useful in case you don’t like the ParanoidAndroid Jelly Bean custom ROM and how it works for your device.
- If you want to save a list of your installed apps or to backup APN internet settings, SMS or call logs info, then you have to use the following applications for Android: AppBAK for Android apps backup | SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore.
- To save the phone numbers stored on your HTC Desire you will need to sync Phone Contacts with your Gmail account.
- Go to your phone’s settings menu and enable USB debugging option.
- Before starting to install the custom JB ROM you should check the battery power charge level, that should be over 70%. This will prevent the HTC Desire from powering OFF during the install process.
- Note that you’re the only one to blame in case the phone gets bricked during the installation. We won’t be held responsible if your phone loses data or if any files gets corrupted in the process. Also, note that this guide should be applied by advanced Android users as in case you’re a beginner then you risk to brick the device.
- Read the entire tutorial guide and only when you’re sure that you know how to install the update, you should begin the installation of ParanoidAndroid phablet custom ROM.
- Remember that this ROM is an experimental release and you shouldn’t use it as a daily ROM, which is why I told to backup the entire ROM before beginning to install it on your phone.
Now that you know all this above, you should move to the tutorial and read all the info listed there. Make sure that you don’t skip any steps that I have listed in it. Also, remember that in case you cannot complete the installation, then you should ask for help in comments.
How to install ParanoidAndroid Jelly Bean 4.1 custom ROM on HTC Desire
- Download the custom ROM zip file from HERE. Save the file on your PC and do not extract its contents.
- After the download is finished you should connect your HTC Desire to your computer via USB cable. Move the ParanoidAndroid ROM zip on the phone’s internal SDcard and after that disconnect the device from PC.
- Power off your phone and then boot into CWM Recovery mode. Do it by holding simultaneously pressed ‘volume down’ + ‘power’ until the HBOOT recovery menu appears. From the HBOOT menu select ‘RECOVERY’ menu and then you will need to press ‘Power’ button to load it.
- When you’re at the main recovery menu, select ‘backup and restore’ and create a full backup of the existing ROM. If you already have such backup then you should skip this step. If not then create the backup and then you can install the new ROM.
- Now select the ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ and confirm this action. When the data has been wiped you should wipe the dalvik cache from the ‘advanced’ menu. Now you can move to the next step.
- Next, select ‘install zip from sdcard’ and from the next screen select ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the ROM zip file and confirm that you want to install it.
- After the ROM has been successfully installed you should return tot he main recovery menu and select ‘reboot system’. Now wait for your HTC Desire to restart and wait until the boot process completes and loads all the custom ROM files. NOTE: If the first boot process takes over 15 minutes to complete, you will need to restart the installation process as the ROM wasn’t applied correctly.
- When the ParanoidAndroid Jelly Bean ROM was installed successfully, you will be taken to the main home screen of the ROM and you need to enter your Google account credentials in order to be able to experience the full Android Jelly Bean and Paranoid Android OS.
If you weren’t able to install this custom ROM, then you should ask for more help in comments. Also, if you don’t like the new ROM, then you should use the CWM Recovery or the ROM manager app to restore the previous exiting ROM backup files.
I hope that this guide was helpful and you should return in the near future to our website as we will be posting new guides and tutorials on how to improve the performance of your HTC Desire smartphone. Remember that this ParanoidAndroid based on Jelly Bean 4.1 is a phablet ROM and you can use it both in tablet and phone mode.
In case you find any bugs or errors please use the comments section and tell other users what you’ve found while testing this custom installation of Jelly Bean 4.1 for HTC Desire smartphone.