Since Jelly Bean was first leaked, more and more custom ROMs are being developed and offered to users worldwide. Furthermore, now there are suitable updates available for almost all the Android powered smartphones out there, so it’s really hard to stay calm and wait for the official update to come. Anyway, today it’s time for another handset to receive the Jelly Bean flavor as the HTC Desire Z can be easily updated by learning how to install the CyanogenMod 10 Custom ROM firmware into its system.
So far, CyanogenMod 10 is the only Android 4.1 based custom ROM available, the software being already delivered for several devices such as HTC Evo 4G, Samsung Galaxy S2, HTC One S, HTC Sensation, HTC HD2, Galaxy Vibrant and more. You can learn how to update the mentioned smartphones by checking our latest step by step guides. But, there is one big inconvenience with these updates: the CM 10 firmware isn’t official yet, so we are not dealing with a stable version of the same. So, in fact you will not be able to enjoy the Android 4.1 experience as it should, because there are many features that are not working properly.
For example, for the HTC Desire Z, you will have problems while trying to use the WiFi, Data / Network, sounds, music player and much more. As the ROM is not official, the beta version is being offered and tested by those of xda-developers who had tried to bring a relatively runnable OS. Don’t worry though, as the bugs will be resolved and removed once the CM team will release the software, updating with the same being more than easy. But, let’s see which the features that do work are, as this is the most relevant aspect:
Now, the HTC Desire Z is a low range smartphone with poor specs. The phone is coming with an 800 MHz processor, 512 MB of RAM and a 5 MP camera. Gingerbread is on top of all, so as you can see an update is more than welcomed. The CyanogenMod 10 ROM will bring Jelly Bean to you along with many other capabilities that will power up the performances of your phone. The battery life will be improved, the system unchained and opened for changes, you will gain more speed and you will be able to get apps from outside the Google Play Store coverage.
Flashing the Rom into your Desire Z will be more than easy, the procedure taking only a couple of minutes from your time. Also, you have nothing to worry about as the smartphone will be in safe hands. But, before starting the proper steps, you should read and complete the following tasks. These operations are the pre requisites and you shouldn’t skip this section. We will talk about making a backup, about the warranty of your device and about other important aspects, so take your time and check the list from below.
- Gain root access fist. As soon as you do it you will notice that the warranty is void. This is happening because the factory restrictions will be removed. Don’t get scared as you can restore the warranty by downgrading to the stock ROM or by applying an official update. Then, the root access will be revoked and the bootloader once more relocked.
- After rooting, you must install a custom recovery image on your Desire Z.
- Then by updating the phone with a custom ROM the data will get corrupted; make a backup.
- Use our suitable backup guides from the how to section and learn how to save the text messages, market apps, current ROM, Internet settings, contacts, call logs and a lot more.
- Then, after completing these operations, charge the battery of your handset or ensure that it has more than 60% power left.
- Furthermore, on the phone and on your computer (you need to have access to a computer) uninstall the security tools.
- Finally, enable the USB debugging option from your smartphone for being able to connect it with the PC.
That is all you need to do and prepare for the proper tutorial. You can safely begin the steps now. Make sure you are applying this guide for the HTC Desire Z handsets and not for similar devices as you can damage the system or brick your smartphones. Be careful in what you do and follow my indications.
How to Update HTC Desire Z with Jelly Bean CyanogenMod 10 Custom ROM
- First of all, you should download the tools needed. You have them below, just click on the link.
- Download link for the CM 10 file here.
- Download link for the Google Apps here.
- Save the files to the computer.
- Up next you need to connect the Desire Z with the PC; use its USB cable for that.
- Copy-paste the up-downloaded files on your phone.
- Remove the USB cord.
- Turn off the handset or just reboot.
- While rebooting enter in recovery; for that press and hold Volume Down Key and OK button while powering on. Bootloader window should be displayed; from there choose recovery.
- From recovery mode first perform a wipe: “wipe data factory reset” followed by “wipe cache partition”.
- Select: “+++go back+++”.
- Then, select “install zip from sd card” and “choose zip from sd card”.
- Choose the update file first, install the same and then re-do the step for the Google Apps file.
- In the end you must select “+++go back+++” again, followed by “reboot system now”.
There you have it; that was the how to procedure in which you could learn how to update your HTC Desire Z smartphone to Android 4.1 Jelly Bean via CyanogenMod 10 Custom ROM firmware. Well, the beta CM 10 as the official one is still expected. Test the new ROM and see how it performs; if there are too many bugs, just use another guide from Android.gs and update your phone with a more stable OS. Stay close as we will update you as soon as a new upgrade is being made available for your Desire Z.