Update HTC Droid DNA to Android 4.3 JB with Carbon Custom ROM Firmware
Android 4.3 Jelly Bean OS is here and can be installed on the HTC Droid DNA. Well, even though I am not talking about the official Android 4.3 update, you can still receive the latest Jelly Bean OS right on your own Droid DNA and all thanks to those of xda-developers who have made available the Carbon custom ROM firmware for the mentioned smartphone. Therefore, if you want the best for your handset, then you definitely must try this new custom update; just use the guidelines from below and everything will be fine.
If you want to update your HTC Droid DNA to Android 4.3 with Carbon custom ROM, you should first know that the guide is complex and might be risky if you don’t follow the steps from this tutorial. It is important to make everything as explained here; else you can mess things up. Since we are dealing with a custom update, if you manage to damage your phone, you will be by yourselves as we shouldn’t be held responsible for anything. Don’t worry though as the guidelines from below will easily take you through the installation procedure of Carbon firmware.
The Carbon platform is based on the most important platforms out there; this is a mixed software that is based on CM10.2, AOSP, AOKP, ParanoidAndroid and SlimBean custom ROMs. Therefore, if you want to flash the same on your Droid DNA, you will have to apply the highly customizable Carbon ROM. The best is that Android 4.3 Jelly Bean is included so you will be getting the latest features, apps and capabilities that are being available on the Android system. Also, with Carbon ROM, your Droid DNA will be powered up as the battery life will be upgraded, the speeds improved and the Android experience updated.
Since Carbon Android 4.3 is a custom ROM, for being able to flash the same you will first have to root your Droid DNA. The warranty of your phone will get lost because the root operation isn’t official. Furthermore, by rooting the factory and default restrictions are being removed, so you will gain access over the internal system of your smartphone. For the future, it is good to know that the warranty can be restored; all you have to do is to downgrade to stock Android OS, or to update with an official version of the same. Do note that on rooted handsets the official releases of the Android system can be installed only manually.
After gaining root access it is important to install a custom recovery image, like CWM or TWRP recovery, on your HTC Droid DNA. You see, the stock recovery can’t be used when trying to apply the Carbon JB 4.3 custom firmware, so if you want to safely complete this tutorial, first take care of the mentioned task.
Finally, it is more than recommended to backup the DNA data, at least the info which is being saved on the internal storage memory of your smartphone. A wipe will be required (I will show you how to apply the same a little bit later) which means you can lose all that’s important for you – do save the contacts list, call logs, market apps, EFS folder and even the current ROM.
Of course, because this is a manual method, the following are being required:
- A computer or notebook, where you will have to download the update file.
- For avoiding the unpleasant situations, on the mentioned computer you need to deactivate or uninstall the security programs or security protection.
- Your Droid DNA must be charged or at least you need to ensure that there is more than 60% power left – else charge your device.
- From “settings -> applications -> development” enable the USB debugging option on your phone.
- Do perform this operation only if you own the HTC Droid DNA. The CM10.2, AOKP, ParanoidAndroid, SlimBean and AOSP based Carbon Android 4.3 JB custom ROM firmware can be installed (by using the steps from below) only on the mentioned Android based device; else you can end up in bricking your handset.
How to Update HTC Droid DNA to Android 4.3 JB with Carbon Custom ROM Firmware
- Download the update file from this page.
- Save the firmware file on your computer.
- Place the software on desktop but don’t unzip.
- Connect your Droid DNA with your computer.
- Use the USB cable for establishing the connection.
- Pick the downloaded file from desktop.
- Copy-paste the file from your computer to your phone’s SD card.
- Unplug the USB cord as the computer is now useless.
- Turn off your handset.
- The recovery mode must be entered: learn how to reboot in recovery.
- From recovery first of all wipe the system by selecting “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition”.
- Choose “advance” and select “wipe dalvick cache”.
- Then from the same recovery menu select “install zip from SD card” and “choose zip from SD card”.
- Select the update file and flash the same on your smartphone.
- In the end, select “+++go back+++” and “reboot system now”.
- If your DNA gets stuck in a boot loop, return to recovery and select “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition”. Reboot and you are done.
Congratulations you have managed to update your HTC Droid DNA to Android 4.3 Jelly Bean OS. Now the Carbon custom ROM should be running on your DNA; the software is based on CM10.2, SlimBean, AOSP and ParanoidAndroid platforms so you are enjoying a powerful Android system. Do test the same and share your results with us by using the comments area from below.