Finally, official CM 12 Nightlies is available for HTC Droid DNA. The update can now be downloaded from CyanogenMod’s official web page and then installed on the Droid DNA through a custom recovery image. If you need help on the flashing process, don’t hesitate and check the guidelines from below, as I will teach you everything that’s related to this update operation.
As you know, CM12 was already available for the Droid DNA but as an unofficial port. The Android 5.0.1 Lollipop firmware was stable enough for a daily use, but if you want to enjoy the proper CyanogenMod experience, you shouldn’t hesitate from flashing the Nightlies release.
So, this Android Lollipop custom update is coming straight from the CM team and represents the new Nightlies built of Lollipop ROM. In order to make things clear, this version of CM 12 has been especially optimized for your HTC Droid DNA, which means that you will get a stable ROM that will smoothly run on your smartphone. CM 12 Nightlies for Droid DNA comes without bugs or any other software related issues, and brings various and great features that can be used for improving the performances of your phone.
In a few words, with CM12 installed, your HTC Droid DNA will run better and faster. You will also achieve a better battery life and a custom Android Lollipop system that can be customized and optimized by your own taste. Of course, for being able to do so, first you have to complete this step by step guide in order to learn how to update your Android device with official Android Lollipop CM12 custom ROM.
CM 12 is not an OTA firmware released by HTC for your Droid DNA. The ROM is provided by third party devs and represents an unofficial port of Lollipop OS. That’s why the update process can be applied only in certain conditions. Also, that’s why the warranty of your device will get void once your complete the steps from below – starting from now you won’t be able to reclaim the warranty of your DNA no more (if something bad happens you will have to manually fix your bricked Android device).
Bottom line, here is what you need to do before heading towards the installation process from below:
- Root your HTC Droid DNA because CM 12 Nightlies can be updated only on an unchained Android system – the ROM must access and change in built programs and features.
- Install a custom recovery image on your Droid DNA – the ROM comes in form of a .zip package and these kinds of files can be flashed only by using a custom recovery image, such as CWM or TWRP recovery.
- Backup your HTC Droid DNA data – during the update process a wipe will be applied (you will have to make a hard reset and clear cache, or else CM 12 will not run properly) and you can lose all of your personal data, info and accounts.
- In order to ease your work, for the backup operation you can use apps from Google Play, a computer or cloud platforms – in this way you can easily and temporarily save your contacts, call logs, texts, market apps, internet settings, images, videos, audio files and any other personal data, info and accounts.
- This is a manual update operation; so for flashing Android 5.0 Lollipop OS on your HTC Droid DNA you will have to use a computer.
- On that computer you first have to deactivate (only during the installation process) the security tools as antivirus-like programs are usually interfering with the update operation.
- On the other hand, from your phone you have to enable USB debugging option if you want to properly connect your smartphone with your computer when it is required – USB debugging can be checked from “menu – settings – developer options”.
- You have to charge your Droid DNA before starting the update operation; you should plug in the charger only if the battery status is currently showing less than 50% power left.
- Complete the charge as if your phone will get turned off while you try to install CM12 Nightlies, your device will probably get bricked.
- Complete this step by step guide only if you own the HTC Droid DNA – the steps from below are compatible only with the mentioned Android powered device.
How to Update HTC Droid DNA with Official CM 12 Android 5.0 Lollipop Nightlies Custom ROM
- On your computer you have to download the CM12 firmware file – go here.
- Also, you have to download Google Apps package (from here) as this file isn’t included on the update package.
- Don’t unzip these files, just place them on desktop.
- Then, plug in the USB cord and establish a connecting between your Droid DNA and computer.
- Transfer the downloaded files from desktop to your phone.
- In the end, remove the USB cable.
- Turn off your phone and enter recovery mode on your Android device.
- Use the recovery mode menu for selecting “wipe data factory reset”, “wipe cache partition” and “wipe dalvik cache”.
- Then, return to main menu of recovery and select “install zip from SD card” followed by “choose zip from SD card”.
- Pick the Android Lollipop firmware file and install CM 12 Nightlies on your HTC Droid DNA.
- Don’t forget to repeat this process for flashing Google Apps package.
- When done, from main menu of recovery choose “reboot system now” and that’s it.
Congratulations; you have successfully installed official CM 12 Nightlies on your HTC Droid DNA. Now you can experience the best Android 5.0 Lollipop OS on your own smartphone; so, tell us how things worked for you and share your thoughts with us by using the comments field from below.