Update HTC Droid Incredible by Installing the Abduction ICS 4.0.3 Custom ROM Firmware
The HTC Droid Incredible users can now improve the performances of their handset as a new custom ROM has been made available. The firmware is coming with several features and capabilities along with the Ice Cream Sandwich OS on top. Note that this software was designed especially for the Incredible, so don’t try to apply the same on other Android powered devices.
As usual, during the following lines I will try to teach you the easiest and safest way in which you can update the HTC Droid Incredible by installing / flashing the Abduction ICS 4.0.3 custom ROM firmware into its system. The update was developed and tested by those of xda-developers, so we have them to thanks for coming with this opportunity for us.
The Droid Incredible has quite a history on the market, the phone being released for the first time back on April, 2010. Since then, HTC managed to make an improved version of its handset, the well-known Incredible 2. So, as you can tell, the performances are a little bit outdated. The specs are including a 3.7 AMOLED display, a single core 1 MHz processor, 512 MB of RAM, 512 MB ROM, 8 GB of internal storage memory and an 8 MP dual led flash rear facing camera; the Android Gingerbread comes pre-installed.
The best way in which you can improve the up mentioned is by learning how to flash a custom ROM into its system. The one described in this tutorial, the Abduction ICS 4.0.3 firmware, is coming with extra features and capabilities that will power up the performances of your phone. The system will be unchained, you will gain more access over the OS, get more speed and a considerable improved battery life. Not to mention that once you install the same, you will be able to enjoy the Ice Cream Sandwich experience on your own HTC Droid Incredible. You have some of the features included in the system listed in the image from below; check them out:
Now, the present update isn’t released by HTC and has nothing to do with the already mentioned company. Also, unfortunately there are no words or rumors about when it is possible to have the official software launched for the Incredible, so this custom ROM is all you get so far. In order to apply the OS upgrade you will have to have a rooted smartphone, which means that the warranty will be void. So, in case you are not comfortable with this aspect, maybe it will be better to stop going any further.
Now, in order to make it through, you need to have access and use a Windows / Linux / MAC running computer, your phone and its USB cord. Furthermore, the following procedures must be completed before commencing the update.
- Backup the Droid Incredible first. The installation is usually erasing the data from its system, along with the Market apps, the contacts stored and the messages received and send. For a full backup use our step by step guide: download SMS backup and restore apps for Android.
- The power indicated on your handset should be around 70%. If lower you must take your phone and plug the charger.
- Uninstall, or disable the security tools located on the computer and on the handset; these programs usual interrupt the update. In the end you can re-activate them.
- Remember that the handset must be rooted (the warranty gets void); if not go and root your HTC Droid Incredible phone first.
- Enable the USB Debugging from your device. This can be achieved by going to “Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging”.
You can now proceed to the next section of this step by step guide. Read carefully and follow my directions.
How to Update HTC Droid Incredible with Abduction ICS 4.0.3 Custom ROM Firmware
- First, you have to get the tools needed. So, from here download the Custom ROM Firmware Package and from here the Google Apps and place them to your computer.
- Connect your phone to the computer by using its USB cord.
- Copy the files downloaded instep 1 from the PC to the phone’s SD card.
- Disconnect the device from the computer by removing the USB cable.
- Then, turn it off.
- Reboot it by entering in recovery mode. This can be achieved by holding simultaneously the Volume Down and Power button.
- In the recovery mode menu you have to select “Wipe data/factory reset” (this is why you need to do a backup) and “Wipe Cache partition” (this option will erase the cache from your Droid Incredible).
- The, after completing the above mentioned, in the recovery menu select “install zip from sd card” followed by “Choose zip from sd card”; the file should be right there, just pick it.
- Now the installation process should begin. Don’t worry; the procedure will take a couple of minutes. In the end you will back on the recovery mode menu.
- Now, you must choose “+++ go back +++” and “reboot system now”.
- That’s it.
The Abduction ICS 4.0.3 Custom ROM Firmware should now be running on your HTC Droid Incredible handset. But if you can’t complete something or if you are having problems in understanding one of my explanation, share the issues with us and we will help you out.