Update HTC EVO 3D CDMA with ICS Newts One S custom ROM
I bring great news for the HTC Evo 3D users, as a custom ROM has been leaked for their handsets. So, you can start updating the phone’s OS with the Newts One S custom ROM firmware, which is being based and developed on the Android Ice Cream Sandwich software. Those of xda-developers are being responsible for this, so we have them to thanks as there are no official updates released by HTC for its Evo 3D smartphones yet. Take note that this tutorial can be applied only for the CDMA version of the HTC Evo 3D, so don’t use the same for other Android based handsets.
The Newts One S custom ROM is the best firmware developed for updating the HTC EVO 3D OS so far, many bugs and issues being resolved by the developers, though some users have reported that there are still minor problems with the camera, WiFi or GPS. But, if you want to get the Ice Cream Sandwich software along with HTC’s Sense 4.0 on your Evo 3D device, than this update should be perfect for you. You can just try it and see how it works and then return to the previous version of firmware, all being possible if you make a backup of your current ROM by using the Clockworkmod Recovery image.
This backup is recommended especially for avoiding the unpleasant situations. As you might know, when you decide to flash a custom ROM, the warranty of your device will be void. So, in case something wrong happens you will be able to restore and use the old firmware. Anyway, for the up-mentioned operations you need to install Clockworkmod Recovery on your Evo first. As I was saying above the Newts One S ROM is coming with major bug fixes and features that will power up the performances of your phone. Also many ICS features will be installed of course with the Sense 4.0 UI on top. The full list of the capabilities included in the system is detailed below.
The Newts One S firmware is not an official update released by HTC and there is no OTA (Over The Air) software available so far. There are no words of a possible launch, so this might be the only way for upgrading the system that runs on your Evo 3D. But, before you do so, make sure you complete all the preventive tasks. One of the things you must perform is the backup. Else, you can lose precious info. I recommend you to save all the data stored on the phone’s internal system by:
- Follow this step by step guide for learning how to backup the SMS messages and more.
- Use our tips for backing up and restoring the Call logs from your smartphone.
- Save the contacts by syncing with Google (you can restore them in the same way).
- Store other data, like images or videos, on a computer or on the SD card.
- Remember to backup the current ROM too (read above).
After dealing with the backup you will have to do some intuitive operations, ones that are required almost each time when you try to do something different with your device. Anyway, you have them listed during the following:
- Ensure that the phone has enough battery life. The power left should be around 70%.
- On the computer you will use and on the smartphone uninstall all the security programs.
- On the Evo 3D go on Settings and enable the USB debugging option: “Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging”.
- Make sure that you have the USB cable near you and remember to apply this tutorial only for the CDMA variant of the HTC Evo 3D.
Head to the next section of the guide now and complete the steps. In the end the Newts One S custom ROM, which is bringing ICS and Sense 4.0, will be running on your Android powered smartphone.
How to update HTC EVO 3D CDMA with ICS Newts One S custom ROM firmware
- For being able to flash the ROM you must first get the same on your computer. So download the file required from here and an update patch from here.
- Connect the handset with the computer for placing the same file from the PC on the phone’s SD card.
- Then, you can remove the USB cord and disconnect the device.
- You need to enter the handset in bootloader.
- For that reboot the phone and by holding the Volume UP Key and OK button press the Power on button.
- In bootloader select “Recovery”.
- In recovery mode make a full wipe (after you have done the backup) “Wipe data/factory reset” and “Wipe cache partition”.
- Then, you must install the ROM. Just select “install zip from sd card” and “choose zip from sd card” and pick the file downloaded before.
- Wait until it’s done and don’t press anything. In the end you should be back on the recovery mode menu.
- There, select “go back” followed by “reboot system now”.
And with that, the process and your work it’s over. As you could see the operation wasn’t hard to complete. The best part is that now, the HTC EVO 3D CDMA is running the ICS Newts One S custom firmware. Test the software and see if there are bugs in the system. Share your impressions with us and tell us how do you find this update and if you like it, or if you would like to recommend it to the other users.