Virtuous Team are the ones that have created a series of Virtuous ICS ROM installations for HTC Devices and now they’ve released the Virtuous Eclipse for HTC Evo 3D GSM device. This post will teach you how to properly install and update your device to Eclipse ICS ROM firmware and benefit from Android 4.0.3 and Sense 4.0 without too much trouble. Make sure to read the entire article and use the comments section to ask for help.
It has been said that the Virtuous Eclipse is currently the first and the only custom ROM installation based on Sense 4.0 ROM for HTC EVO 3D GSM smartphone. Note that this firmware is still in its testing phase and it packs several bugs, but if you’re an Android enthusiast that loves to test and see how ICS and Sense 4.0 for Evo 3D GSM performs while put together in a custom ROM installation. This means that beginners should avoid installing it and it would be better to turn your attention to other more stable custom ROM releases.
It is recommended for you to create a full backup of your currently installed ROM firmware as this one you’re about to install might not become the one a ROM to be used for long. There are some functions and features that aren’t working with this ROM: Wi-Fi Tethering and 3D.However, these should be fixed with future releases and you should keep an eye on our website as we will post new guides on how to upgrade your HTC Evo 3D ROM and benefit from all Android HTC specific functions. Your phone has to be rooted and CWM Recovery should be installed.
Before we can begin the installation of this new ROM you will need to read the preparation guide and learn how to properly configure the device so that the Virtuous Eclipse ICS ROM will install successfully without you being forced to repeat the entire process more than once. Also, in the preparation guide you will find applications that you can use to backup almost any part of your EVO 3D device.
Now that you know all this general info, it means that you’re ready to move to the preparation tutorial. Read all the info listed below and only after that you are free to move to the custom ROM update guides. Here’s what you need to do:
- As I’ve told in the above text you should create a full backup of your currently installed ROM. This can be done by installing ROM Manager, CWM Recovery or ROM Toolbox Lite. All these three Android apps have support for creating complete backups of ROM firwmare and you can use the backup data to restore your device back after the new Virtuous Eclipse ICS firmware is installed.
- If you like the new ROM and you don’t wish to revert back to the previous one, then you will still need to save your important files, such as videos, audio, photo, pdf docs, text documents, bookmarks, ebook files etc. These can be moved on your device’s internal / external sdcard or you can transfer them to your PC using the USB connection cable.
- The Android apps, SMS text messages and Call log information can be saved using these small programs for your phone: AppBak for saving and restoring Android apps | SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore.
- The Phone Contacts should be synced with your Gmail account. If you don’t know how to do it then you can use the instructions listed in this post here.
- Installing this new ROM requires for you to perform a full wipe and factory reset operation, and this means that you will have to save the APN and MMS Settings. These values will allow you to restore the original configuration for your device’s carrier internet settings and you can do it by installing the APN backup & restore app. However, you will need to use it only if the internet doesn’t work after the update is complete.
- enable the USB Debugging option.
- Your device should be rooted and a custom Recovery image has to be installed on it, otherwise you won’t be able to flash the new custom ROM.
- The battery’s charge level should say that it’s over 70% as otherwise your device might power off while you’re upgrading the firmware.
- Gapps package doesn’t have to be downloaded separately, as these Google Applications are already included within Virtuous Eclipse zip file. You’ll learn more when you’ll move to the tutorial guide.
- This guide is supported only by HTC EVO 3D GSM edition.
Now that you’ve read the above info it means that you’re ready to move to the tutorial guide and learn how to update to custom ROM firmware that is based on Android 4.0.4 ICS.
Please note that Android.gs and the developers of this ROM cannot be held responsible if something were to go wrong and your EVO 3D device gets bricked. Make sure that you know what you’re doing and that you respect all the steps I’ve listed in the tutorial guide. For any extra questions, use the comments section listed at the end of this post.
How to update HTC EVO 3D GSM to Virtuous Eclipse ICS 4.0.3 ROM:
- Download the Eclipse ROM Android 4.0.3 ICS zip file and then place it on your compute’s desktop.
- Connect your phone to your PC. Now move the zip firmware package on the device’s internal sdcard.
- Disconnect the phone and power off the device.
- Now put the phone into custom Recovery mode.
- Select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ option and confirm this action. When the wipe is complete, move to the next step.
- Now, you’re back on the main recovery menu. Select ‘install zip from sdcard’ and then select ‘choose zip from internal sdcard’.
- Find the ROM zip package you moved on your device at step 2 and confirm its installation.
- Wait for the update to be complete. Now get back to the main recovery screen.
- Select ‘reboot system now’ and you Evo 3D device will launch its first boot with Virtuous Eclipse Android 4.0.3 ICS firmware.
- Enter your Google account details and after that you’re free to customize the new custom ROM.
That’s the last step you had to take and now your device should be running the Android 4.0.3 ICS with the Virtuous Eclipse custom ROM firmware.
Usually, a new custom ROM’s first boot might take up to 10 minutes to completely load all of its files and that why you should patiently wait until that completes and you’re taken to the main Android 4.0.3 home screen.
Please note that in case the first boot doesn’t complete, then you will be forced to remove the phone battery and then re-insert it. Now repeat the entire tutorial guide as you might’ve forgot to apply one or two steps listed above. Make sure that you’ve wiped the data as otherwise the new ROM won’t be able to run over the previous ROM firmware installation.
For any extra info and questions please use the comments section and we will help you complete the installation of Virtuous Eclipse Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich ROM on your HTC EVO 3D GSM phone. Also, you are free to open other sections of our website and learn new tips and tricks to better learn how to use your Android device.