The last time we talked about the HTC Evo 4G was when I have showed you how to update it with the ICS 4.0.4 based AOKP custom ROM firmware. But, since then, Jelly Bean was pushed out, more and more Android powered handsets being updated with the same. So, today, it’s time to install the latest version of the Android OS on your Evo 4G device and this by flashing the CyanogenMod 10 custom ROM firmware into its system. The method is being described during the following step by step guide, so go and check it out.
The first aspect to start with is related to the ROM you are about to get and install on your phone. It’s important to know that CM 10 isn’t yet officially available, this version being tested and developed for the HTC Evo 4G by those of xda-developers (we have them to thanks for this tutorial). The ROM will soon be released by the CyanogenMod team, but if you just can’t wait, this opportunity should be perfect. As the firmware is not ready yet, there might be some issues with a few of its features and capabilities.
Anyway, these problems will be resolved once a new version of the update will be made available, but since then, you will have to deal with some things that aren’t working. For example, the camera, camcorder, 4G, FFC and video playback isn’t working at all for your Evo 4G. The rest of the features are fine; for example, the WiFi, sounds, phone calling, data and SMS are performing as expected. The up-mentioned bugs were reported by users who had tried the ROM, but there might be other problems too. If this aspect isn’t on your taste, maybe it will be a good idea to wait for the official update.
Being a custom ROM, the CM 10 will power up the performances of your HTC Evo 4G. Furthermore, the firmware is being based on the Jelly bean platform, meaning that it will update the phone OS to the latest version of the Android platform. You will not get the default Android experience though as the CyanogenMod team is coming with new features, looks and capabilities. You will be able to gain more speed, the handset will have an improved battery life, the system will be unchained and you will be able to get apps from outside the Google Play area.
You will have to root the Evo 4G for being able to perform this operation. Also the ROM will be flashed through a custom recovery image which must be installed on your smartphone. Take note that one you root the warranty will get void. The only way for restoring it will be by downgrading to the stock ROM or by applying an official update released by HTC and suitable for your Evo 4G. Now, be aware as without completing these operations you will not be able to update your handset at all and more you can even brick its operating system.
If you are ok with this than let’s head to the preparations tasks. This section is maybe the most important one; don’t skip it and perform the next operations for ensuring that everything will be fine. You have tips for making a backup and other info detailed during the following list, so take care of the same.
- The data will be wiped out therefore make a backup for saving the data from your HTC Evo 4G.
- For saving the contacts learn how to sync with Google.
- For saving text messages (SMS or MMS) download SMS backup and restore tools.
- For saving Call logs download backup and restore apps.
- You can save the current ROM by using a custom recovery image.
- Use any other tools or a computer for saving other files from your phone.
- After completing the backup procedure, charge your phone or ensure that it has more than 60% power left.
- Then, enable the USB debugging option: “Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging”.
- On your computer and on your device you must deactivate the Firewall protection and the antivirus programs.
- Root the Evo.
- Install a custom recovery image on it.
With the pre requisites safely completed you are ready for the proper step by step guide. Remember that this tutorial can be applied only for the HTC Evo 4G handsets and not for similar ones because you can end up in bricking your smartphones.
How to Update HTC Evo 4G to Jelly Bean 4.1 with CyanogenMod 10 ROM
- Download the Cm 10 file from here.
- Also, download the Google apps from here.
- Save the files to your computer.
- Then, use the USB cord for connecting the smartphone with the PC.
- Copy the downloaded file to your phone.
- Remove the USB cable.
- Turn off the phone.
- Reboot and enter in recovery mode: press and hold Volume UP Key and OK button while powering on. Then, from bootloader select “recovery”.
- Once in recovery mode, select the following: “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition”.
- Return to the main menu: “+++go back+++”.
- Then, select: “install zip from sd card” and “choose zip from sd card”.
- First pick the CM 10 file and install it. Then, do the same for the Google Apps file.
- When done, select “+++go back+++” and “reboot system now”.
That was all. You now know how to install the CyanogenMod 10 custom ROM firmware on your HTC Evo 4G; this means that the phone was updated to the latest Android OS, the Jelly Bean 4.1 platform. If there are too many bugs, just search through our hot to section and flash another OS on your smartphone. But until you do so, just share your thoughts and opinions about this procedure with us and with other users by using the comments area from below.