Update HTC EVO 4G LTE Sprint to Android 4.0.x ICS using Classic Jewel custom ROM
Classic Jewel is a custom ROM designed for HTC phones and now you can install it on your HTC Evo 4G LTE. Use the info and the steps listed in this article to learn how to correctly flash this custom ROM on your device.
The Classic Jewel custom ROM comes with integrated support for the Sony Bravia Engine that should bring improved image quality, enhanced music applications with Sony Xperia integrated music system, Infinity music extensions, Sony Walkman music system, Sony xLoud engine for improved audio etc. Also, it packs Playstation app, browser tabs, memory tweaks and multiple other enhancements that should make your device work better.
Classic Jewel for HTC Evo 4G LTE was created by XDA developers and for the moment it is still in the development phase which means that some features and functions packed within might have bugs causing them to malfunction. The PS Store is glitchy, Xperia PLAY currently isn’t working and the Performance Assistant’s ANT+ option should be left untouched and when you get to the tutorial guide you will find instructions that are telling you not to mess with Ant+ as that might get your phone into an endless boot loop. You simply need to make sure to check the Google Music and Books, but not the ANT+ option. Also, the developers need to work on the ‘infinite scrolling’ option and Fidelity Music.
Now that you’ve read all the above info you should move to the preparation guide and learn how to properly configure your HTC Evo 4G LTE so that you’ll be able to flash the Classic Jewel custom ROM from your first try. Here’s what you need to know:
- Install the custom ROM only on the HTC Evo 4G LTE Sprint variant. Do not attempt to install it on any other HTC smartphone.
- The Classic Jewel custom ROM can be use to update only the Evo 4G LTE devices that are rooted and have installed the TWRP Recovery image.
- During the updating process you will need to wipe all data and factory reset. This means that you should create backups of all important files currently stored on your device. Move these files on your computer or you can choose to move them on your device’s internal / external sdcard, as these two storage cards won’t be changed by Classic Jewel ROM.
- If you wish to save the installed applications, SMS texts, Call Logs and the APN Settings, then you should use these Android apps: AppBAK for Android apps backups | SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore.
- Sync the Contacts saved on your phone with the Gmail account that is currently used to control your Android device. If you don’t know how to use Gmail to save the phone contacts, then use this ‘how-to guide’ here.
- enable USB debugging on your phone.
- Make sure that you fully charge the device’s battery so that it won’t discharge while you’re updating its ROM.
- In case you won’t like the Classic Jewel custom ROM then you should create now a full backup of the ROM that is currently installed on your Evo 4G LTE.
- Please note that we cannot be held responsible in case your phone won’t work after the update and that is why the previous step told you to create a full backup ( Nandroid ) of the ROM, so that you’ll be able to restore the phone to a previous working state.
I think that these were all the extra instructions I had for you and now you should move to the tutorial and learn how to successfully update your Evo 4G LTE with this custom ROM. Make sure to read the entire tutorial before applying step 1 and remember not to skip any of the steps listed in it, so that you’ll manage to successfully flash the update at your first attempt.
How to install Classic Jewel custom ROM on HTC Evo 4G LTE Sprint:
- Download the custom ROM zip file from here.
- Connect your Evo 4G LTE to your PC and transfer the ROM package on its internal sdcard. Don’t extract the zip file contents.
- Power OFF the smartphone and disconnect it from your computer.
- Next, boot it into Bootloader Mode. This can be done by pressing and holding ‘volume down’ and ‘power’ buttons.
- Use the volume buttons to select ‘RECOVERY’ from Bootloader Mode screen. This will boot your device into TWRP Recovery.
- Optional step: If you want to backup the currently installed ROM you will need to select Backup and now TWRP Recovery will create a ROM backup that you will be able to restore it in case you don’t like how Classic Jewel custom ROM is running on your device. If you did create a backup before moving to the tutorial guide, then you should skip this step.
- Now select ‘wipe’ and after that ‘factory reset’. Confirm that you want to delete all data. Please note that this process won’t delete the data stored on your device’s internal and external sdcard. When the data wipe is complete you should return to the main TWRP Recovery menu by clicking the home button.
- Select ‘Install’ and find the Classic Jewel custom ROM zip file. Select it for installation and confirm the update.
- When the custom ROM installation is complete you should select ‘reboot system’ and now your HTC Evo 4G LTE will perform its first boot under the new Android ICS installation.
- After the Evo 4G LTE boots you will notice that Performance Assistant applications will appear and now you need to make sure that the ‘ANT+’ option is disabled. Do not select it because this will force your device to get into a boot loop and you won’t be able to use the Classic Jewel custom ROM.
That’s the last step you had to take and now you should start to customize it and test the current custom ROM. In case you have any other questions or you know some tips and tricks that could help users flash ROMs easier on HTC Evo 4G LTE Sprint devices.
Please note that in case the first boot process doesn’t load successfully then you should power off the device and repeat the entire tutorial guide. Also, if you wish you can boot into TWRP Recovery and restore the ROM backup created before applying Classic Jewel custom ROM.