The Android 4.1 Jelly Bean OS is getting more and more popular as new smartphones are receiving the OS update daily. Of course and as usual, there are only few official updates available so far, but that doesn’t mean you can’t get a custom ROM for your phone. The same can be applied for the HTC HD2 users who can now learn how to manually update their Android powered devices to Jelly Bean firmware. The ROM was developed by those of xda-developers, so don’t forget to thanks them for the present step by step guide.
Since there is no official release of the Android 4.1 software suitable for the HTC HD2 handsets, this custom ROM represents the only way possible for updating the phone with the latest OS launched by Google. In this way you will be able to get all the new features included in the Jelly Bean system along with extra ones which cannot be found in the default version of the platform. All this so you can obtain more power for your smartphone, which will provide an improved battery life, more speed and an unchained system which will be opened for changes and improvements.
By installing the update, you will lose the HTC HD2 warranty. This is a custom ROM, not a firmware released by HTC. If you decide to complete this tutorial, then you will agree with this aspect, knowing that this operation is considerable risky; furthermore if you don’t follow my directions, you can easily brick your smartphone. If somehow something goes wrong, you will be on your own there will be nobody to help you out. So, be careful in what you do and read all the lines from the present guide for ensuring that your phone is in safe hands.
The warranty can be restored as soon as HTC launches the official Jelly bean update for your HD2. Then, you can apply the same, regaining the warranty back as the factory restrictions will be reinstalled. The same will happen if you will decide to make a downgrade to the stock ROM, so don’t worry as you can anytime return to what you once had and yes I am referring to the warranty and to the default version of the Android software.
On the other hand, for being able to apply the method described here, your HTC HD2 must be rooted. The root access can be gained easily so go and complete this task and then return here. After rooting you should also install a custom recovery image on your device. We will use this tool for flashing the ROM into the system. Without these two procedures you will not be able to update the HD2 to Jelly Bean. Take note that the warranty will be removed if you root the operating system; if your handset is already rooted than you have nothing to worry about, just go to the next section of this how to guide.
As we are dealing with a custom ROM firmware, for being able to properly install it you will have to perform a full wipe of the system. I will show you how and when to do it, during the steps from below. But, before that maybe it will be a good idea to backup the data from your HD2. You can save anything you want to, from text messages, market apps, contacts, call logs to images and videos files, so don’t hesitate and backup your personal saves. You have several backup guides here on Android.gs, just search and try the same.
Then, after the backup operation you must complete some preparation tasks. In a few words and to resume it, here is what you need to do:
- Have access to a Windows running computer and to the phone’s USB cord.
- On the PC and on the HTC HD2, uninstall the Firewall protection or the antivirus programs.
- Remember to root, install a custom recovery image and backup the data.
- Then, make sure the handset has at least 60% power left, or else charge the battery.
- On the device, enable the USB debugging option: “Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging”.
Finally, you can go and start the proper guide. But first, let’s see which are the features added by the update and the things that aren’t working well. From what we know, here are the features that are working:
Then, users who had tried the Rom reported that there are issues with the camera, with the browser which works but the display is messed up, you will get errors when installing some apps and Google Now crashes.
How to Update HTC HD2 to Jelly Bean 4.1 OS
- Get the ROM file from here. Save it to your computer.
- Connect the HD2 with the PC.
- Select the zip file from your computer and copy paste it to your phone.
- Disconnect the USB cable.
- Turn off the handset.
- Reboot in bootloader from where choose recovery.
- For reaching bootloader mode press and hold Volume UP Key and OK button while powering on.
- Then, from recovery it’s time to make the already mentioned wipe.
- Go and select “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition”.
- When you are done with the wipe return to recovery.
- Then select “install zip from sd card” and “choose zip from sd card”.
- Pick the ROM file downloaded before and select “Yes” for begging the installation process.
- In the end, just select “+++go back+++” followed by “reboot system now”.
Since this is still a beta firmware, there might be some bugs in the system which will be resolved once a new version of the update will be provided. Until then, test the ROM and see if you are satisfied by it; if not you can anytime choose to make other updates with custom ROMs or beta firmware. That was the how to procedure in which you could learn how to update your HTC HD2 to Jelly Bean 4.1 firmware, so share your thoughts with us by using the comments area from below.