The latest version of the AOKP custom ROM firmware is here and can be easily flashed on a HTC Incredible 2 handset. A full step by step guide will be detailed during the following lines along with all the aspects required for the installation process, so if you want to update your Incredible 2 with a new ICS based software, check the same. I have also brought the features list included in the AOKP upgrade and I recommend you to read it before starting to apply the ROM.
The AOKP version which can be downloaded and installed through this tutorial is the latest one available (build 40) and it’s the most stable so far. The bugs reported by users who had tested previous variants of the ROM were resolved by the AOKP team and other features and enhancements have been added in the system, meaning that you will get an improved Android 4.0 experience. Obviously, the present firmware is being based on the Ice Cream Sandwich platform so by flashing it you will be able to update your HTC Incredible 2 with the same.
As we are dealing with a custom ROM, there are some aspects that must be mentioned. First, this operation isn’t provided by HTC and has nothing to do with the already mentioned company. There are no words about a future release of an official ICS update suitable for the Incredible 2 smartphones therefore this might be the perfect opportunity for you, especially if you want to improve your phone’s system. Then, for being able to apply this tutorial, your device must have an unlocked bootloader.
An unlocked bootloader means unchained system; and this means that you will void the warranty. This is happening because you are removing the factory restrictions from the Incredible 2 by changing the default settings. Anyway, you have nothing to worry about as if you are following a step by step guide like this one, your smartphone will be in safe hands. Furthermore, you can anytime restore the warranty by installing an official firmware, or by applying the stock ROM (implies a downgrade), also by following suitable tutorials. It’s important not to complete something by yourselves as you can easily brick your Android powered handsets.
Now, let’s see the advantages that come with a custom ROM firmware. First of all, by updating your Incredible 2 with the AOKP ICS built 40 you will bring numerous features that can’t be found in the default version of the Android platform. You can gain control over the system, you can optimize and customize it and your smartphone will gain more speed, improved battery life and its performances will be powered up. This is the operation that must be completed if you want to take full advantage of your phone. But, for making a proper idea here are the main features included in the AOKP custom ROM firmware.
As we are dealing with a complex operation, for being able to safely complete this guide you must first take care of some preparation procedures. A backup is also required as a full wipe of the system will have to be completed. For suitable tips and recommendations check the list from below.
- Backup the current ROM. In case you mess things up you can easily restore the previous OS.
- Backup text messages, like SMS, by downloading backup and restore tools.
- Save call logs.
- Sync with Google and save your contacts.
- Backup the Internet settings too.
- Use a computer, or the SD card for other files.
- After saving the data, you should charge your phone, or make sure that there is more than 60% battery power left.
- On your computer and on the Incredible 2 uninstall the security tools.
- On your device enable the USB debugging option: “Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging”.
- Don’t forget to unlock the bootloader.
As a final note, don’t apply this how to guide for similar devices as you can brick them. This tutorial was developed and tested only for the HTC Incredible 2 smartphones that has an unlocked bootloader. Now you can finally go and start the proper steps.
How to Update HTC Incredible 2 with latest AOKP ICS Custom Rom Firmware
- Click on the next links for downloading the AOKP update (link here) and the Google apps (link here); save the files on your computer.
- Connect the phone with the PC; use the USB cord.
- Copy the files downloaded in step 1 from the computer to your handset.
- Disconnect the device by removing the USB cable.
- Turn it off and reboot in recovery mode.
- You can do this by choosing the recovery mode option from the bootloader mode.
- Bootloader can be reached by holding on the Volume UP Key and OK button while powering the device on.
- In recovery mode select “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition”.
- Then, choose “install zip from sd card” and “choose zip from sd card”.
- Pick the files from step 1 (first the update and then the Google apps).
- In the end select “+++go back+++” and “reboot system now”.
Now, the HTC Incredible 2 is running the AOKP ICS built 40 Custom Rom Firmware. What do you think, it is how you thought it will be, or it’s another disappointment for you? Share your impressions with us and with other users and also tell us how things worked with the tutorial from above. If there were problems, we will try to resolve them.