Even though the HTC Incredible S is an old smartphone with outdated performances, its users can still enjoy the latest Android updates, as those of xda-developers are coming with new and stable firmware. The Incredible S is currently powered by the ICS platform and unfortunately that is all you will get because there won’t be any official Jelly Bean updates rolled out for this device due to hardware limitations. Anyway, if you still want to test, run and operate the latest version of the Android system, the 4.1 variant of the OS, then I recommend you to complete the present step by step guide for learning how to update your HTC Incredible S to JB based CM10 custom ROM software.
This custom firmware had just been made available by those of xda-developers (we have them to thanks for this tutorial) and it is the unofficial port of the CM10 ROM. Also, the OS is still in development stage as, according to those who had already installed CM10 on HTC Incredible S, there are some minor bugs included in the system; apparently the issues are referring to: video recording and headset mic. Of course all the issues will be resolved as soon as possible and also, beside the mentioned bugs, the CM10 platform is stable and will smoothly work on your Incredible S.
Do take note that this is the unofficial version of the CM10 custom ROM and also you are not dealing with the official release of the Jelly Bean OS for your HTC Incredible S. Therefore, you cannot OTA apply the software as a manual installation procedure will be required. So, this is why you need to follow and complete this step by step guide: it will take you through the flashing operation. But, in order to succeed with the same you first have to perform the pre requisites for preparing your smartphone, or else you will not be able to update it to custom Android 4.1 software.
Well, I have resumed the preparation tasks during the following list. Do apply all the operations from below before heading to the proper update procedure. This is a complex and risky method meaning that if you somehow mess things up, or if you apply things without consulting this tutorial, you can end up in bricking your Incredible S, not to mention that you will not be able to safely flash the CM10 firmware into its system.
- You need to have a rooted Incredible S or else you won’t be able to complete this step by step guide. CM10 custom ROM can be installed only on a rooted handset.
- The warranty will get void, so be careful in what you do and if possible read twice before applying something on your phone.
- The warranty can be restored afterwards by performing a un-root operation, or by downgrading your Incredible S to stock ICS OS; then the root access will be revoked and the factory restrictions re-installed.
- As soon as your device is rooted, you need to learn how to flash a custom recovery image, like CWM recovery into its system. This tool will be used on the update operation because the stock recovery can’t be used for installing .zip files from the SD card.
- Now, it is extremely important to backup all of your personal info and data; save everything that is being installed or stored on the internal storage memory of your phone because a full wipe of the system will have to be performed (I will teach you how a little bit later).
- It is recommended to use the custom recovery image for making a Nandroid backup too; in this way if something wrong happens, you can easily restore the stock firmware instead of using a the bricked CM10 OS.
- After taking care of the mentioned tasks, you will have to ensure that a computer or notebook with internet connection enabled, your handset and its USB cable are near you and can be used.
- After that, on both computer and smartphone you need to uninstall or deactivate all the security tools because these programs are usually interfering with the update operation.
- Next, you need to charge the battery of your Incredible S if you notice that there is less than 60% power left; if different you can skip this step.
- Enable the USB debugging option from your phone or else you will not be able to connect it with the computer.
Finally, you are ready for the flashing guide. But before starting to update your Incredible S to Jelly Bean powered CM10 custom ROM, make sure that you are applying the next steps only for the mentioned phone. This tutorial will work and it is compatible only with the HTC Incredible S device.
How to Update HTC Incredible S to Jelly Bean with CM10 Custom ROM Firmware
- First you need to download the update file, the Google apps package and the radio file on your computer; use the download links from below.
- For the firmware go here.
- The Google apps package can be downloaded from here.
- The radio package can be downloaded from this page.
- Now, connect your Incredible S with the computer via its USB cable.
- Select all the downloaded files and copy them from your computer to your phone’s SD card.
- Disconnect the device from the PC by unplugging the USB cord.
- Turn off the handset.
- Reboot it into recovery mode.
- Use the recovery mode menu for applying a wipe first; you need to select “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition”.
- You can go back on the main menu by selecting “+++go back+++”.
- Then, by using the same select “install zip from sd card” followed by “choose zip from sd card”.
- Pick the software file first and flash the same; then apply the Google Apps package; finally install the radio file.
- In the end you need to select “+++go back+++” and “reboot system now”.
- The first boot will take longer than usual, so don’t panic.
- But, if instead of that you will get stuck in a boot loop, then you will have to reboot into recovery again; then you must re-wipe the system of your phone just as showed above.
That was all for today; you have finally learned how to easily update your HTC Incredible S to Android 4.1 Jelly Bean by installing the CM10 custom ROM firmware. Do test the software now as this is not the official version of the CM10 OS, and report the bugs, or the issues; also do share your impressions and thoughts related to this ROM and to the update procedure explained above as there might be other users who might want to apply the same.