HTC One M8 users are now able to flash the first CM 13 Nightly builds using the instructions listed in this article.
Check all the info in this post and you will easily learn how to successfully flash a brand new custom ROM for your phone.
The CM 13 Nightlies are based on Android 6.0 Marshmallow AOSP builds. Besides all the stock Marshmallow functions and features you will be getting other improvements and elements designed by the CyanogenMod team. Read more about this release here.
Check the following guidelines before starting the installation process of this new custom ROM:
- use this post only with the HTC One M8 smartphones.
– note that you shouldn’t use this post for any other different Android devices.
- your phone has to be rooted and it should run the latest version of CWM or TWRP Recovery.
– the installed custom Recovery has to be updated to its latest version, so that it supports the latest Android 6.0 builds.
– theoretically any custom Recovery that is based on CWM or TWRP will work for this installation, but you should proceed with caution and upgrade the installed Recovery.
- the ‘how-to’ part of this post contains two extra preparation steps: the NANDROID BACKUP and Factory Reset.
– the NANDROID ROM Backup creates a full restore point for your device, one that you can use in case the new CM 13 ROM doesn’t boot after the installation is done.
– the Factory Reset has to be applied in order to remove the old ROM and allow the new CM 13 Nightly ROM to boot successfully.
– factory resetting the device won’t remove any data from its internal storage, but it wipe the system memory partition.
– the ‘factory reset’ will remove the installed apps from your device.
- if you need to save data from applications use the Helium tool for Android.
– don’t use Titanium Backup because CyanogenMod ROMs aren’t supporting it.
– sync data from Contacts with your default Gmail account.
- use this post only if you are an advanced user, we cannot be held responsible in case you brick your device nor in case you lose any data in the process.
- read the whole guide and do not skip any steps.
- check battery charge level of your device, make sure that it is over 50%, as it will prevent the phone from powering off during the installation process.
Note that you can continue installing future new CM 13 Nightly builds using the CyanogenMod Updates menu. It can be found under the About Phone section and installing new Nightly builds is highly recommended, as with each new Nightly that gets released you will get a better and more stable OS.
How to install CM 13 Android 6.0 Nightly ROM for HTC One M8:
- Download the CM 13 Nightly zip from here.
- Download Gapps for Android 6.0 ROMs from here.
- Move both zip files on to your phone’s internal storage.
– after the files are copied you can disconnect the phone from PC.
– do not extract the zip contents.
- Power off the phone.
- Next, boot it in Custom Recovery Mode.
- Create a full NANDROID Backup for the already installed ROM:
– CWM: select ‘backup and restore’.
– for TWRP select ‘backup’.
– confirm the process.
- Now you can factory reset the device:
– CWM: select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ process.
– select ‘Wipe’ options for TWRP.
- Start the CM 13 Nightly installation process:
– CWM: select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’.
– TWRP: select ‘install’ option.
- Find the CM 13 Nightly zip and confirm its flashing process.
– note that the installation will take at least five minutes, don’t press any buttons until all files are done installing.
- When the CM 13 ROM has finished installing you can flash the Gapps zip, too.
– use the same actions as in step 8 in order to find the Gapps file.
- Reboot your phone in normal mode after all the new files are flashed.
– the first boot of this new ROM will take a while before it loads.
When the ‘optimizing apps’ screen appears you will know that the installation process has been completed and you can close this tutorial.
If the first boot of CM 13 ROM takes more than 20 minutes and your HTC One M8 device hasn’t gone past the boot animation screen, or it has entered in a boot loop, then you will be forced to try and repeat the whole guide more than once.
If you repeat the tutorial then you will have to make sure not to skip any steps and that your phone meets the requirements listed above the tutorial.