Do you want to update the HTC One Max with ease and by using a safe update operation? Whether you want to use an OTA release, an official / stock Android OS or even a custom ROM firmware like AOKP, ParanoidAndroid or CyanogenMod, you can now use a dedicated step by step guide which can easily take you through the flashing operation. In that matter, read and apply the guidelines from below in order to update your HTC One Max without damaging or bricked your Android based smartphone.
First of all we should talk about the OTA updates and about the stock or official firmware. As you know, when a new Android update is being released for your HTC One Max, the software is being offered by each carrier in form of an OTA – Over The Air –update. This update can be notified by your device and installed automatically. On the other hand, if you can’t apply or receive the OTA, or if you don’t want to wait for the same, and due to various other reasons you might want to install the official firmware manually. Well, this process is different from the OTA one so you will have to use a compatible update method that can be suitable with your HTC One Max.
This manually update operation is usually required for restoring or downgrading your One Max to stock Android OS. By doing so you can fix your bricked device, you can restore its warranty, revoke root access and relock the bootloader. Thus, as you can see, knowing how to update HTC One Max to official Android OS is a must have especially if you are an advanced Android user who is also applying unofficial operations on its handset.
In that matter we should also discuss about custom ROMs, like AOKP, ParanoidAndroid or CyanogenMod. Installing a custom ROM is the first step to make when trying to customize and optimize your HTC One Max. With a custom ROM you can improve the performances of your smartphone and you can also personalize it. But, for being able to do so, you will first have to root your phone and to install a custom recovery image, like CWM or TWRP recovery. All these are unofficial procedures and when applying the same the warranty of your handset will get void. Remember that you can restore the warranty by flashing the stock Android OS – only manually as on a rooted device the OTA release can’t be spotted.
Furthermore, when trying to update your HTC One Max with official Android OS manually or when thinking in flashing a custom ROM firmware, a backup is recommended – especially for the custom ROM when previously a wipe is being required. So, before doing anything else use compatible apps and save everything you might need afterwards, including text messages, call logs, market apps, contacts list, personal data, info and accounts and even your current ROM via Nandroid backup.
Also, for the manual update operations a computer will be needed while your HTC One Max and its USB cable should be near you. Since you have to connect your devices, on your phone the USB debugging option must be enabled – just go to menu – settings – developer options. Moreover, on your computer if you have antivirus programs installed, temporarily disable the security protection – these tools might interfere with the update process. Check the HTC One Max battery status: if the power left is less than 50% then don’t go any further without plugging in the charger.
Of course, you should use this tutorial only for updating the HTC One Max and no other Android based smartphone. The guidelines from below are compatible only with the mentioned smartphone and you can end up in bricking your device in case you mess things up.
How to Update HTC One Max
Flash an OTA Update
- Enable a WiFi connection –don’t use your network data plan.
- Take your phone and if on top of its display you see the update notification icon then you can flash the OTA update.
- So just slide the notification panel and tap on download.
- Wait while the Android OS is being automatically updated on your HTC One Max.
- You can manually check for OTA updates by going to menu.
- Tap on settings and then go to about.
- Select software updates and check if a new OTA is being available.
- If it is then just download and install the firmware automatically.
Manually update with official or stock Android OS
As already mentioned, you can apply this operation when the OTA isn’t available for you, or when you need to manually flash the stock or the official Android OS. Now you will have to use a computer, where you need to download the firmware file – take it from HTC’s support web page or from other sources. Then you will have to download, install and use a dedicated tool from which you will flash your software on the HTC One Max. For further info just check this tutorial.
Update HTC One Max with custom ROMs
- Remember to root and install a custom recovery image on your phone.
- Then download the custom ROM you want to install on your One Max.
- Also download Google Apps package for your device.
- Place these files on your computer and don’t unzip the same.
- Connect your smartphone with your computer by using the USB cable in that matter.
- Transfer the downloaded files from your PC on your phone’s SD card.
- Unplug the USB cord and turn off your device.
- Enter recovery mode on HTC One Max.
- From recovery select “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition”. Moreover select “advanced” and pick “wipe dalvick cache”.
- From main menu of recovery now select “install zip from SD card” followed by “choose zip from SD card”.
- Choose the update file and install the same and the repeat the same procedure and flash Google Apps package.
- In the end return to recovery mode and select “reboot system now”.
So, there you have it. Those are the easiest ways in which you can now update your HTC One Max. Don’t hesitate to use the comments area from below if you have questions related to this tutorial and also don’t hesitate and use our how to section for checking the HTC One dedicated how to page. Also, stay close for further tips and tricks and other Android related tutorials.