HTC One Mini can be updated with a great firmware as those of xda-developers released the Magio custom ROM software. This OS based on Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean system comes with important features that cannot be found on the default version of Jelly Bean platform along with stock apps and capabilities. Furthermore, Magio ROM brings new looks, themes and visual effects that will smoothly run on your HTC One Mini. Therefore, if you choose to install the Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean powered Magio ROM on your One Mini you will be able to change everything you used to know about your smartphone.
That’s why if you want to test the ROM you should follow and complete this step by step guide. Magio firmware is not an official Android update released by HTC for the One Mini. So, the same can’t be OTA applied which means that only a manual update operation can be used. Due to same reasons this method isn’t official so you should be careful when applying the guidelines from below – don’t apply things by yourselves, just stick to the steps from this tutorial and everything will be fine.
As mentioned the Magio ROM has been developed and offered by those of xda-developers; we have them to thanks for the present tutorial. Furthermore, the firmware is based on stock Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean software though you will be getting a custom UI, custom features and custom capabilities. All the new features can be easily used for improving the performances, upgrading the battery life, bumping the speeds and more. The best is that Magio isn’t coming with bugs and issues so we are dealing with a stable update that will smoothly run on your smartphone.
Since it is a custom update developed by third party devs, for being able to safely flash the Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean based OS on your HTC One Mini you will first have to complete the following tasks.
- Gain root access on your One Mini and unlock the bootloader. Well, without applying these operations you will not be able to install Magio Custom ROM.
- When rooting and unlocking the bootloader you are removing the factory, default and in built settings and restrictions. Therefore, by doing the same the warranty of your handset will get void.
- The warranty gets void because the binary flash counter of your device will be increased. So, as you can already tell, for restoring the warranty you will have to reset the flash counter; but how? Quite easy actually: downgrade to stock Android OS or update with and official Android firmware.
- On rooted phones the OTA releases can’t be noticed or flashed, so a manual update will be required for your One Mini.
- Install CWM or TWRP recovery on your HTC One Mini. The ROM will be installed by using the same so in our case the stock recovery image isn’t useful.
- Backup the data that is saved on the internal storage memory of your smartphone. During the update process a wipe will be required so you will lose all of your data, personal saves and accounts.
- You can use backup and restore apps from Google Play for saving the text messages, call logs, EFS folder (click here if you don’t know what is the EFS folder – the guide is for Samsung devices but you can make a proper idea about the term), contacts, market apps and so on; also use CWM recovery for saving the current ROM.
Good, now you are almost ready for the proper update operation. But first ensure that you can use a computer or notebook, your HTC One Mini and its USB cable. Furthermore, on the computer and handset there shouldn’t be any security tools installed – deactivate the security protection if different; on your phone USB debugging section should be checked – enable it from here: “settings -> applications -> development”; your handset should be charged at least until the battery status shows 50% power left or else your phone might get turned off in the middle of the flashing process; don’t forget to install the Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean based Magio custom ROM only on the HTC One Mini because this tutorial is being suitable only with the same.
How to Update HTC One Mini with Magio Custom ROM Firmware (Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean based software)
- The first thing to do is to download the Magio firmware on your computer.
- Get the update package from here.
- Place the file on desktop; don’t unzip the update.
- Connect your smartphone with your computer.
- Of course, use the USB cord for establishing the connection.
- Copy the update file from desktop and paste it to your phone’s SD card.
- Remove the USB cable and disconnect the One Mini from your computer.
- Turn off your device.
- Learn how to reboot into recovery mode (click here) by using a dedicated step by step guide.
- As mentioned before, a wipe must be peformed – remember to backup the data first.
- So, select “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition”.
- Also, select “+++go back+++” followed by “advance” and “wipe dalvick cache”.
- Now, return to main menu of recovery.
- From there, this time select “install zip from SD card” and “choose zip from SD card”.
- Just pick the Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean firmware file.
- Start the flashing operation.
- Wait while the process is running.
- In the end select “+++go back+++” and “reboot system now”.
- If your HTC One Mini gets stuck in a boot loop, return to recovery and wipe the system once more (only by selecting “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition”).
Congratulations, you have learned how to update your HTC One Mini with a custom ROM firmware. Now your handset should be running on custom Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean software as the Magio custom ROM has been successfully installed. As mentioned, the platform is stable so there shouldn’t be any kind of problems; share your impressions though by using the comments area from below.