Your HTC One can be updated with a new custom ROM firmware based on stock Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean OS as the Sense 5.0 powered Renovate software has been made available for your smartphone. The Renovate system is quite popular among HTC users as the ROM has been highly appreciated by those who have tried the same on the HTC One X and One X+. So, if you want to customize and optimize the performances and the looks of your HTC One, then consider in flashing the Renovate firmware.
The ROM is stable and comes without bugs and issues as only stock and extra features, apps and capabilities will be installed on your One. As mentioned the Renovate firmware is based on Sense 5.0 UI so you will be getting the latest version of Sense on your One. Of course the Sense 5.0 will be installed on top of a custom version of Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean software as a custom ROM always comes with its own looks and features. So, don’t expect to receive the default Android OS as you will be disappointed.
Basically, the Renovate ROM has been developed by those of xda-developers (we have them to thanks for the present step by step guide) for resolving the bugs and issues present in the stock Android firmware and for improving the Jelly Bean experience that runs on your HTC One. So, if you want to flash the update, the follow and complete this guide.
Begin with the pre requisites though as without preparing your device you will not be able to safely complete this tutorial.
- A custom ROM can be applied on rooted systems; so root your HTC One (once root access is completed you can install custom recovery images, update with unofficial firmwares and even overclock the CPU).
- The warranty will get void so be careful; use only dedicated tutorials, use guidelines and try not to mess things up as you can brick your device.
- Afterwards, the warranty can be restored by downgrading to stock Jelly Bean OS, or by updating with official Android ROMs – soon Android 4.3.
- Install CWM recovery or any other recovery image on your HTC One. You will use the recovery for flashing the Renovate custom ROM, so don’t skip this step.
- Backup the HTC One data because when dealing with unofficial updates, a wipe is required – all of your personal saves, data and accounts will be erased.
- Make a Nandroid backup for saving / restoring the current software – useful if you will not like the Renovate platform.
- Ensure that you can use a computer on which you should deactivate the security protection – uninstall or deactivate the antivirus and antimalware programs.
- Also, ensure that the USB debugging option is enabled on your phone; go to “Settings -> More -> Development Options -> USB debugging” for checking the same.
- If on your device you notice that there is less than 60% power left, charge your HTC One before starting the update operation.
It’s important to know that this step by step guide is compatible only with the HTC One – don’t install the JB 4.2.2 powered Renovate Sense 5.0 custom ROM by using this guide if you own a similar or different Android based device as you can end up in bricking your smartphone.
How to Update HTC One with Sense 5.0 based Renovate Custom ROM Firmware
- From here download the update file.
- Save the firmware on the computer – preferable on desktop.
- Don’t unzip the package.
- Use the USB cable and connect the HTC One with the computer.
- Copy-paste or drag and drop the firmware file from desktop to your phone.
- Remove the USB cord.
- Turn off your phone and wait a few seconds.
- Then reboot in recovery mode.
- Use the recovery mode menu for selecting “wipe data factory reset”, “wipe cache partition” and “wipe dalvick cache” – this is why the backup is required.
- Return to recovery – select “+++go back+++”.
- From recovery this time choose “install zip from SD card” followed by “choose zip from SD card”.
- Pick the update file and start the flashing process.
- Wait while the installation process is running.
- When the process stops select “+++go back+++” and “reboot system now”.
- Your HTC One should reboot into Renovate custom ROM.
- If you had troubles while trying to complete the steps from above, or if something isn’t working properly, use our dedicated step by step guide and learn how to resolve your problems.
Congratulations, you have updated your HTC One with Android Jelly Bean based Sense 5.0 Renovate Custom ROM firmware. Test the software in order to see how it performs; remember that if you had applied a Nandroid backup as indicated, if you will not like the new system, you will be able to restore the previous ROM, or firmware – all you have to do is to reboot into recovery mode once more.