HTC One can now be upgraded to Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean using the latest build of CM 10.1 Nightlies ROM. In order to successfully install this custom ROM for this device you will need to read the entire tutorial first. Note that this is a guide for advanced Android users and you shouldn’t attempt to use it in case you don’t know what you’re doing.
This is a custom ROM that is based on Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean and, it is an official release by CyanogenMod team. It is one of the most popular Jelly Bean custom ROMs and, also, one of the best alternative’s to HTC’s Sense Jelly Bean UI. If you want to flash this ROM on your HTC One device, you will need to take a look over the preparation guidelines below:
- You have to use this tutorial only with the HTC One smartphone. Don’t try to use this guide with any other Android device, as you will end up bricking it.
- Your HTC One has to be on an unlocked bootloader (guide here), it has to be rooted (guide here) and running a custom Recovery image such as CWM (here) or TWRP (here). Click the links in case your device doesn’t meet some of these requirements. After your device meets all of them you can continue to the next part of this post.
- Use the custom Recovery mode to create a full NANDROID backup of your currently installed ROM. This will act as a restore point and it can be used in case the smartphone doesn’t boot with the new CM 10.1 Nightlies ROM.
- The tutorial will ask you to wipe data and factory reset the device before installing this new ROM. That’s why you have to backup your most important data that is stored on the system partition, data like installed apps, sms, call logs info and APN Internet Settings. Use the following tools to backup call logs, SMS and APN Internet Settings: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore.
- Backup installed apps using any tool you want.
- This tutorial is based on CWM Recovery mode, but you can still use TWRP, if that’s the one that you have currently installed on your device.
- Sync the Contacts data with your Gmail account so that you won’t lose any important info getting wiped in the process.
- Enable USB Debugging option from your phone’s Developer Options menu.
- Make sure that there is enough power left in your device’s battery before starting the update.
- This is a guide for advanced Android users and you shouldn’t attempt to use this tutorial in case you don’t know what you’re doing.
- Don’t skip any steps that I have listed below.
- If you cannot complete the tutorial, then you should ask for extra help in comments.
NOTE: if your device is already running on a previous build of CM 10.1 build, then you can skip the factory reset steps. However, if the new ROM doesn’t boot successfully, then you will have to return to Recovery mode and factory reset the phone.
Now that you know all of the above, I think that you can continue to the next part of this post and learn how to install the latest CyanogenMod ROM for your smartphone.
How to flash CM 10.1 Nightlies ROM based on Android 4.2.2 JB for the HTC One:
- Download the CM 10.1 Nightlies ROM from HERE. Make sure to download the latest build and save it on your PC. Don’t unzip the contents of this file.
- Download the Gapps for Android 4.2.2 ROMs from HERE. Save the file on computer and don’t extract its contents.
- Connect your smartphone to your PC using the USB data cable.
- Disconnect the device from your PC when the files are moved with success.
- Power off your HTC One now.
- Boot it into custom Recovery Mode by pressing and holding Power and Volume Down buttons at the same time. When in CWM Recovery you can release the buttons and continue to the next step.
- Select ‘backup and restore’ option and create a full NANDROID backup of your current OS. This will create a restore point for your smartphone.
- Select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ option and confirm this process.
- Now, return to the first screen of CWM Recovery Mode and select ‘install zip from sdcard’. Then, select ‘choose zip from sdcard’ and then find the CM 10.1 Nightlies zip. Confirm that you want to install it.
- When the ROM is installed, you have to select again ‘choose zip from sdcard’ option. Next, find the Gapps zip and confirm its installation.
- After both files have been flashed successfully, get back to the main CWM Recovery mode and select ‘reboot system now’. The first boot process of this new ROM shouldn’t take more than 5-7 minutes to complete.
- Enter your Google Account details when the CM 10.1 home screen appears. This will help you take control over all the new functions of your device.
- These were all the instructions that you had to take, now you simply need to test CyanogenMod 10.1 Nightlies ROM features and decide whether to keep it as a daily ROM or return to previous OS.
NOTE: If the first boot process takes too long to complete, you should power off the device completely. After that you need to repeat the entire tutorial in order to make sure that you apply all the steps without skipping any of them.
I hope that you managed to flash this new build of CM 10.1 Nightly ROM on your HTC One. In case you didn’t manage to flash this custom ROM, then you should ask for more help in comments. But, make sure to list all the steps you took and where you got stuck so that we can offer you the best possible solution.
If you don’t like how this new ROM works with your HTC One, then you can easily restore your device to its previous ROM using the CWM Recovery mode.
To keep the CM 10.1 Nightlies updated with the latest builds, you should open Settings and then check the info listed under CyanongenMod Updates menu.