Update HTC One X to Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean with Renovate Custom ROM
Even though the Android 4.2 OS has been already ported to the HTC One X (learn how to update the ViperX custom ROM for installing the latest version of Jelly Bean on your One X), today I will show you how to update your phone with an Android 4.1.1 based firmware that will bring the Sense 4+ and other important optimization capabilities to your device. I am talking about the Renovate software which had just been released on its stable version by those of xda-developers therefore we will be checking in how to flash the HTC One X PJ46100 with the same.
As mentioned, the Renovate ROM is being powered by the Android 4.1.1 OS and brings numerous optimization and customization capabilities to your HTC One X. That’s why by updating your smartphone with this software you will be able to improve the battery life, gain more speed, optimize the RAM and install features like AROMA Installer and of course the Sense 4+ user interface. The full list of features and tools that will be ported to your phone once this tutorial will be completed can be accessed by going here.
So, now all we have to do is to get started with the update operation. As usual, when you want to install custom ROMs you first need to prepare your HTC One X for the update process that will follow. Else, you can damage the internal system, or even worst brick the phone. Therefore, in order to avoid the unpleasant situations I recommend you to read and apply the next list of pre requisites. Then you can safely head to the proper steps.
- Check the HBOOT version of your HTC One X. The Android 4.1.1 with Sense 4+ powered Renovate custom ROM can be installed only on HBOOT version 1.31, 1.33 or 1.36. Again, if you flash the firmware on another version you can easily brick your One X.
- Then backup the data which is being stored on your phone. It is recommended to make a Nandroid backup too. You have suitable backup and restore tutorials explained here on Android.gs, so don’t hesitate and search for the same.
- A custom OS can be installed only on rooted systems, so first of all root the HTC One X.
- The warranty will get void, but this is a normal thing to happen; don’t panic.
- You can regain the warranty as soon as you perform a downgrade to the stock ROM, or if you update the One X with an official software released by HTC.
- Install CWM recovery (or any other custom recovery image) on your One X; this complex app can be used for the Nandroid backup and will be used for the installation procedure.
- You will need to use a Windows running computer.
- On the same you must install the USB drivers for your smartphone.
- Also, on the computer uninstall or deactivate the security options and settings and disable HTC Sync and other software that accesses your phone.
- Enable the USB debugging option on your handset and charge the battery (if there is less than 60% power left); else the device might get turned off in the middle of the update process and it will get bricked.
- Do not apply this step by step guide unless you own the HTC One X model number PJ46100; the Renovate Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean firmware will work only on the mentioned device.
How to Update HTC One X to Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean with Renovate Custom ROM Firmware
- On your computer download the required files from below.
- Use this link and download the Fastboot package.
- Download the update file from here.
- Extract the Fastboot.zip file on your computer.
- Extract the Boot.img file from the Renovate.zip file on the Fastboot folder.
- Connect the device with the PC and copy the update file (not the extracted one) on the phone’s SD card.
- Unplug the USB cord and turn off the phone.
- Reboot it by pressing and holding the Volume Down and the Power buttons until the screen turns on. The bootloader mode will be displayed; from here select “fastboot”.
- Connect the handset with the PC.
- On the HTC One X display the “Fastboot USB” message should be displayed.
- On your computer go to “Start -> run -> cmd” and hit “enter”.
- On the command prompt window navigate to the Fastboot folder.
- On CMD enter the following commands: “astboot flash boot boot.img”; “fastboot erase cache”; “exit”.
- Unplug the USB cable.
- Return to the bootloader menu and this time select “recovery”.
- The recovery mode menu will now be displayed.
- Remember to backup the current ROM and all of your data first.
- From recovery select “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition”.
- Then choose “Advanced” and select “Wipe Dalvik cache”.
- Return to the main menu and from there select “Mounts and Storage” and choose the “Format System” option.
- Return to the recovery menu and select “install zip from sd card” followed by “choose zip from sd card”.
- Pick the update file from your phone’s SD card.
- The AROMA Installer will appear on your screen. Follow the prompts and finish the installation process.
- In the end reboot your device.
Be aware as the first boot might take a little bit longer than usual so don’t panic. That was all, the guide is now completed. So, what do you thing, that wasn’t so hard after all, wasn’t it? If you have encountered issues while trying to apply the steps, share the problems by using the comments area from below. Also, do tell how the Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean Renovate custom ROM firmware is running on your HTC One X device.