If you own a rooted AT&T HTC One X handset that has a custom recovery image installed on its system, you can now update your phone with the Ice Cream Sandwich based Magnolia custom ROM firmware. As any other custom ROMs, Magnolia will update your HTC One X with features from outside the Android area, bringing capabilities that will easily power up the performances of your smartphone. If I have aroused your interest, here is the step by step guide you need to follow for completing the up mentioned.
But first, there are some things that you must know. The most relevant one is referring to the warranty of your beloved phone. As mentioned in the introduction, for applying this tutorial, your HTC One X should be rooted. Well, when you root a smartphone you are actually removing the factory restrictions from its system. This can lead to one result only: the warranty will be void. So, at this point you shouldn’t have it anyway. Don’t worry as you can regain the warranty by updating the One X with the stock ROM or with an official firmware released by HTC. In this way the root access will be revoked and the bootloader relocked.
Also, a custom recovery image is required. By using such a tool you will be able to flash the update file right from your phone. All you need to do is to download the Magnolia file, copy it to your device and then flash the same by using ClockworkMod recovery; but more about the installation procedure during the steps from below. After ensuring that everything is ready for the actual update you must also make some pre requisites. This is including a backup operation too, so try not to skip parts from this guide.
For preventing bad things from happening, like losing important personal info, it’s necessary to backup the data. You can save the messages (SMS, MMS, etc), the contacts, the Internet settings, calendar info, images, market apps and even the current ROM. You can do all these by checking our backup step by step guides from where you will find all the details needed. After that, return here and resume this procedure.
Installing a custom ROM is maybe the most complex operation you can do with a smartphone. Why? Well the performances will be optimized and customized so you can enjoy a more powerful device. The battery life will be improved, you will have more access to the internal system and many features will be added. Also a new and personalized interface will be installed above the classic Android one, the looks being totally changed. The Magnolia features which will be ported to your HCT One X are:
Finally, as promised before, we have the pre requisites. These preparation procedures are extremely important, especially if you want to ensure that everything is safe for your phone. Access to a Windows running computer is also required, so make sure you have one near you. Then, complete the list from below and that’s it; you can start the steps.
- Root the HTC One X.
- Install a custom recovery image on it.
- Apply this guide only for the rooted AT&T HTC One X devices and not for similar ones as you can brick them.
- Check the battery power on your handset and if lower than 60%, go and charge it first.
- Deactivate Firewall, or any other security program that is running on your computer and on your smartphone.
- On your device enable the USB debugging option.
- Don’t forget the backup.
As soon as you are done, take your phone and its USB cord and be ready to start the tutorial. Read the steps carefully, do as explained and there shouldn’t be any kind of problem on your way. If you can’t understand something don’t hesitate and use the comments area from below.
How to Update HTC One X with ICS Magnolia Custom ROM Firmware
- Get the Magnolia ROM file from here and store it on the computer.
- Then, connect the handset with the PC.
- Copy the update from the PC to the phone.
- Disconnect the same.
- Turn it off.
- Reboot and enter recovery mode menu: press and hold on Volume UP Key and OK button while powering on.
- From the recovery menu perform a wipe: “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition”.
- Return on the recovery menu (“+++go back+++”).
- From there select “install zip from sd card” followed by “choose zip from sd card”.
- Select the update file.
- Wait and don’t press anything.
- In the end, select “+++go back+++” and “reboot system now”.
Now, your HTC One X smartphone should be running the latest ICS based Magnolia custom ROM firmware. Test it and see how it works and if you are satisfied by its performances. The software was developed and first tested on an One X device by those of xda-developers, so we have them to thanks for this possibility. Stay close for further updates and guides and fell free to share your thoughts with us.