Update HTC One X to Jelly Bean 4.1.2 with ParanoidAndroid Custom ROM
After we have seen how to install the first custom ROM designed for the HTC One X+, now I will show you how to update its little brother, the One X with the latest ParanoidAndroid firmware, which will bring the Jelly Bean 4.1.2 platform to your smartphone. If the One X+ had just received its first beta software, the One X can be updated with many unofficial ports of the Android system, as there are numerous upgrades released for this device; you can check the same by heading to our HTC One X section.
But, if you want to update your One X with the latest Android flavor available, the Jelly Bean 4.1.2, then the ParanoidAndroid custom ROM is what you need. This software is having no bugs, all the features are working perfectly, not to mention that many capabilities will be added so that you can easily improve the performances of your handset. Therefore, if you choose to install the present OS improvement, then you should know that your One X will be updated with a new user interface and with all the Android 4.1.2 features. Anyway, more details about the same can be checked on our source page from here.
This is not an official software released by HTC, so for flashing the Paranoid Android OS on your One X you will have to complete a manual operation. Also, as we are talking about a custom ROM that is being developed by third party devs (we have to thanks those of xda-developers for this tutorial), you must first prepare your device for the proper installation procedure. I’m referring to the pre requisites, the ones that are being explained and detailed during the next list. It’s important to read all the following lines, don’t just head to the proper steps because you can brick your phone. This is a risky and complex operation meaning that you must know all the aspects related to the same.
- The warranty will get void once you start updating your HTC One X with the Paranoid custom ROM firmware. This is happening because you must first root the smartphone, or else the Jelly Bean 4.1.2 firmware will not work for your phone. Therefore, if you haven’t root your device until now, you should go and check this task.
- If you will want to restore the warranty, all you need to do is to downgrade to the stock ROM, or install an official OS. Then, the root access will be revoked and the bootloader relocked therefore the factory restrictions will be reinstalled.
- Next, once the system is unchained, you can install complex app on your One X. Such an app is CWM recovery, so get it. We will use this tool for the flashing operation, but more about this on the right time.
- Also, by using CWM recovery you will have to wipe the system of your phone. Because of that you should backup the HTC One X data first. If you want, you can use our backup and restore tutorials, as there you have all the info needed for completing a full and safe backup. Just go and check out our how to section for the same.
- Up next, make sure that you can use a computer, your handset and its USB cord.
- On both, PC and smartphone deactivate (temporarily) all the security programs because these tools might interfere with the update process.
- Also, charge the battery of your phone, or else it might get turned off in the middle of the installation procedure.
- On your One X go to “Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging” and enable the last option (the USB debugging one).
- Finally, don’t apply the next steps for a similar device as the Paranoid Android ROM works only for the HTC One X.
- You can now safely go and begin to install the Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean software on your One X.
How to Update HTC One X to Jelly Bean 4.1.2 with ParanoidAndroid Custom ROM Firmware
- As you can already tell, we can’t begin updating your X without downloading the ROM first. So, go here and get the update package.
- Also, download the Google Apps package from here.
- Now, connect the smartphone with the computer via USB cord and take the downloaded files from the computer and place them on the SD card of your phone.
- Then, disconnect the handset from the PC.
- Reboot your device by holding the Volume UP Key, OK button and Power button at the same time.
- The bootloader mode will be displayed. From there choose “recovery”.
- From the recovery menu, you will have to first select “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition” (this is why you must backup the data).
- Return to recovery by using the option “+++go back+++”.
- And from there this time select “install zip from SD card” and “choose zip from SD card”.
- Pick the update file first and install the same, and then do similar (repeat the procedure) for flashing the Google Apps package too.
- In the end (after a couple of minutes as the installation is taking a while) select “+++go back+++” and “reboot system now”.
Well, that was all. Now you know how to update the HTC One X to Android 4.1.2 by installing the ParanoidAndroid custom ROM firmware. If you had encountered any kind of issues while trying to complete the above explained steps, then use the comments are from below and share the problems with us. We will try to do our best in order to help you out. Don’t forget to subscribe to us for receiving the latest Android related news and tutorials.