With the HTC One X+ official release date almost here, there are few chances to see an OTA Jelly Bean update launched by HTC for the One X handsets. That’s why, maybe you will want to check this step by step guide, from which you can easily learn how to manually install the new Jelly Bean based One Maximus custom ROM firmware. As mentioned, this update is being suitable only for the HTC One X smartphones and this thanks to the xda developer, Footbal, who came up with this method and with the ROM of course.
So, if you want to update your One X with a smooth and stable Jelly Bean ROM, then the Maximus (version 4.0) firmware will be perfect for you and for your Android based device. The software is coming with numerous features and improvements therefore, by completing this tutorial you will be able to upgrade the phone’s performances by optimizing and fluidizing its internal system. There will be added Android 4.1 features along with capabilities that cannot be found in the default version of the Android platform, so you have all the reasons for performing the below steps. For making a more proper idea about this new ROM, take a look over the next image:
Well, if you had decided to go further with this guide, then here is what you need to know and do. First, as you are about to install the Jelly Bean Maximus 4.0 custom ROM (which is not an official firmware released by HTC for your HTC One X), you need to backup the date that is saved on the internal storage memory of your phone. For this, you can use suitable backup and restore tutorial from our website; just go and search for the same through the how to section. You can learn how to backup the text messages, the contacts, the call logs, the current ROM and a lot more.
When you are done with the backup, you should first root the One X. The Jelly Bean update cannot be flashed on a system that has the factory restrictions installed. That’s why you also need to unlock the bootloader of your smartphone. You must be aware as by performing these operations, the warranty will get void. You shouldn’t worry though as the warranty can be restored by downgrading to the stock ROM, or by updating with an official software launched by HTC. Also, even though a custom ROM (One Maximus in our case) will be running on your device, you will be able to apply an official update whenever you will want.
Furthermore, you will have to get and install a custom recovery image for your One X. CWM recovery is the most popular recovery image, so you can anytime apply and use the same. This tool will be used for flashing the update file from the SD card to the internal system and also for wiping the data; but more about this during the steps from below. Now, you should end the pre requisites by taking care of the next mentioned list; you can then safely head to the basic tutorial, so let’s get started:
- Go to “Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging” and enable the USB debugging option from your phone.
- On the device, deactivate the antivirus program and protection as it might interfere with the update process.
- The phone must have enough battery life remained in the system; if there is at least 60% power left, than you shouldn’t stop for charging the battery.
- Don’t forget the backup, root, unlocking the bootloader and the custom recovery image operations (see the above mentioned lines).
- Do not apply this guide for similar handsets with the HTC One X as you can end up in bricking them.
How to Update HTC One X with Jelly Bean based Maximus 4.0 Custom ROM
- The first thing to do will of course be the download task; get the update file from here.
- Save the file on your computer.
- Next, take the phone USB cord and by using it connect the One X with the computer.
- Now, select the downloaded file and drag-drop, or copy-paste the update package from the PC to your handset (remember where you place the file).
- Remove the USB cable.
- Turn off the phone.
- Reboot in bootloader mode.
- For this press and hold the Volume UP Key and OK button while pressing on the Power button.
- From bootloader select “recovery”.
- The handset will now be rebooted in recovery mode.
- From there, first select “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition”.
- Return to recovery main window by selecting “+++go back+++”.
- Select “install zip from sd card” and “choose zip from sd card”.
- Pick the update file and install the same.
- In the end, just select “+++go back+++” and then “reboot system now”.
There you have it, the perfect way that can be used for learning how to update the HTC One X with the latest Jelly Bean based Maximus 4.0 custom ROM firmware. If you had problems in understanding one of the lines or steps from above share the issues with us so that we can assist you. Also, after testing the new ROM, tell us what you think about it and if you are satisfied by its features and capabilities.