Update HTC One X+ to Jelly Bean 4.1.2 with SlimBean Custom ROM
If you are tired of the default and classic Android Jelly Bean system and you want to spice things up by adding new features, capabilities, themes, user interface and more to your HTC One X+, then I bring you the unofficial version of the SlimBean custom ROM firmware. The platform has been developed and tested on the mentioned smartphone by those of xda-developers, so now we will be checking on how to install the same on your One X+. So, if you do want to power up the performances of your device and also flash a stable Jelly Bean 4.1.2 based custom ROM, the present step by step guide is all you need.
Now, even though this is the unofficial version of the SlimBean firmware, you need to know that the update is stable and it will smoothly run on your HTC One X Plus. Furthermore, the software comes with important features (that cannot be found in the default version of the Jelly Bean system) ported from the AOKP and CM10.1 ROMs. As you can see you have all the reasons for flashing the SlimBean custom firmware on your One X+. Now, I know that most of the One X Plus users are running on the Android 4.2.1 OS, so the present Jelly Bean 4.1.2 ROM might be “unappealing” but, considering its features, I do recommend you to try the same.
You can just test the SlimBean firmware and then restore the stock ROM back to your HTC One X+, this being possible only if you previously apply a Nandroid backup; and since a general backup is being required anyway, saving your current OS shouldn’t be something to be scared of (if you don’t know how to perform this operation use the link from above; you will find all the details needed there). Leaving these aspects aside, let’s return to the Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean powered SlimBean custom ROM. As mentioned the firmware will be coming with several features ported from the CM10.1 and AOKP platforms, but if you want to learn more about the improvements included in the SlimBean system, check out our source page by using the link from here.
If you have decided that you want to update your HTC One X Plus with this software, then first you will have to complete the preparation tasks. In this way you will prepare your device for the flashing procedure that will shortly follow. Also, without taking care of the pre requisites, you will risk in bricking your handset, so try not to mess things up.
- Remember to complete a full backup (save the contacts, messages, call logs, internet settings, market apps and so on) and to save the current ROM too. In case you will not like the SlimBean one, you will be able to restore the stock software.
- Then, root your HTC One X+ before starting to apply the present tutorial. Also, learn how to unlock the bootloader too.
- Then, install a custom recovery image on your device. This is the most important step as the recovery image will be used on the installation procedure meaning that we cannot complete this guide without the same.
- A computer with internet connection enabled, your phone and its USB cord are being required.
- On the One X Plus and on your computer or notebook there shouldn’t be any security programs installed; also deactivate the Firewall and antivirus protection.
- In case your device has less than 60% power left, take the charger and plug it in. You don’t want to brick your One X+, so make sure that the phone stays “alive” during the flashing procedure.
- Enable the USB debugging option on your smartphone, or else you will not be able to properly connect the phone with the computer.
- This tutorial must be completed only by the HTC One X+ users; the steps from below will teach you how to install the Jelly Bean 4.1.2 SlimBean custom ROM only on the mentioned handset.
How to Update HTC One X+ to Jelly Bean 4.1.2 with SlimBean Custom ROM Firmware
- On your computer download the update file from here, the add-ons package from here (Google apps included) and the boot.img (you need to flash this after applying the update and the add-ons package) from here.
- Now, connect your handset with the computer by using the USB cable.
- Then, take all the downloaded files from the computer and place them to your device (on the SD card).
- Remove the USB cable and turn off the smartphone.
- Now, you need to reboot it into recovery mode.
- After that, use the recovery mode menu for making a full wipe; select “wipe data factory reset”, “wipe cache partition” and “wipe dalvik cache”.
- Return to the main menu by pressing on “+++go back+++”.
- And from there select “install zip from sd card” followed by “choose zip from sd card”.
- Pick the update file and install the same; then, repeat the procedure for applying the add-ons package; finally in the end flash the boot.img file too.
- In the end, select “+++go back+++”, “reboot system now” and you are done.
In case you are getting a boot loop (if the first boot takes longer than usual, there is nothing wrong with your phone) you will have to reboot into recovery mode again and apply the wipe once more (use the steps from above). Also, if you have previously made a Nandroid backup you can now use the recovery image for restoring the stock ROM.
So, what do you say; is the SlimBean Jelly Bean 4.1.2 firmware satisfying enough, or you rather choose the official Android system for your HTC One X+? Do share your impressions (related to the software and to the steps which were explained above) with us and with those who are looking forward in applying this guide by using the comments section from below.