Those who had recently bought the HTC One X+ smartphone can now start to update their devices with a beta OS, as the first custom ROM firmware suitable with the mentioned handset has been made available. The software is being based on the Jelly Bean 4.1 system and will install the Sense 4+ user interface along with many other features on your One X+, so for learning how to apply this update I recommend you to read the present step by step guide. You have it all explained and detailed during the next lines, so let’s get started.
As a general aspect, I have to remind you that this is not an official OS update provided by HTC for your One X Plus device. The Jelly Bean and Sense 4+ based Maximus Plus is just a custom ROM firmware that was developed and tested by third party devs, so the software has nothing to do with HTC. This means that you need to perform a manual method for being able to flash the Android 4.1 platform on your phone and also prepare the smartphone for the installation process that we are talking about. That’s why you must read all the lines from this tutorial; don’t go straight to the steps as you can easily brick your One X+.
But first, as usual, you must learn everything about the ROM that you are about to install on your phone. You don’t want to end up with a malicious firmware with bugs and things that aren’t working, so you should start by checking our source page from here. The Maximus Plus software is provided by those of xda-developers and according to those who had already flashed the same on a HTC One X+ device, the ROM is stable and works smoothly. Anyway, just click on the link from above (or take a look over the image from below) as there you can see the full features list that will be added on your handset; then, return here and resume the rest of the steps.
Today’s operation must be initiated by explaining the risks that comes with a custom ROM. Well, what should interest you the most is the fact that the phone’s warranty will get void. Yes, it’s true, and just because the ROM need to access some internal files from the system, which means that you must own a rooted One X Plus that has an unlocked bootloader. Without rooting the OS you will not be able to apply the update. Don’t worry though because as soon as you update your smartphone with an official OTA firmware the warranty will be restored.
Another negative aspect is related to the data which is being saved on your handset internal storage memory. Unfortunately, a full wipe of the system will be required meaning that you can lose all of your personal saves. That’s why you must backup the HTC One X+ data. Save the contacts, messages, call logs and everything else you need to because you don’t want to notice that in the end there is nothing saved on your phone.
Finally, here is the pre requisites list. Take your time and check it out and then complete the mentioned tasks. When you are done, you can safely head to the proper tutorial as you One X+ will be prepared for the update operation. Don’t skip this section because is the most relevant one.
- Remember to backup the data and root the system.
- After unlocking the bootloader and rooting you will have to download and install a custom recovery image (like CWM recovery) that will be used for the flashing process.
- Then, return here and on the computer you will use (a Windows powered PC is being required) uninstall or deactivate the security programs, such as antivirus and Firewall protection.
- Do the same thing for your handset.
- Then, enable the USB debugging option. You can do that by taking your One X+ and going to “Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging”.
- Check the battery status on your phone; if there is less than 60% power left go and charge the battery first.
- Apply this tutorial only for the HTC One X+ devices, because the Jelly Bean 4.1 based Maximus Plus custom ROM will work only for the mentioned smartphone; if different you will risk in bricking your Android powered smartphone.
How to Update HTC One X+ with Maximus Plus Jelly Bean 4.1 Custom ROM firmware
- On the computer, go here and download the update file.
- This file must be then placed on your phone’s SD card.
- In order to do that you must first connect the device with the computer. Then, copy-paste or drag and drop the ROM on the SD card.
- Remove the USB cable.
- Turn off the smartphone.
- Reboot in bootloader mode as from there you will be able to choose the recovery mode that will be used.
- For reaching on boot loader mode press and hold the Volume UP Key and OK button while powering on the One X+; again from bootloader mode select “recovery”.
- Now, from the menu that opens, select “wipe data factory reset” and then “wipe cache partition”.
- When the wipe is over return to recovery by selecting “+++go back+++”.
- Select “install zip from SD card” and “choose zip from SD card”.
- Apply the Jelly Bean 4.1 based custom ROM on your HTC One X+.
- The process should take a couple of minutes, so don’t worry.
- In the end, select “+++go back+++” and “reboot system now”.
You are now done, as here is the end of this tutorial. You have succeeded in updating the HTC One X+ smartphone to Jelly Bean 4.1 by installing the first custom ROM firmware designed for this phone, the Maximus Plus software. Test the new OS and see if you like its features the Sense 4+ UI and all the other capabilities. Return here, and use the comments area for sharing your thought and impressions with us and with other users.