The first port of CM10 for HTC One X is now available and despite the fact that it is an experimental build you will still be able to use the bluetooth, Wifi, Netflix, 3G and 4G functions. So, use the instructions listed in this article and you will learn how to successfully flash this Preview build of CM10 Jelly Bean 4.1.1 on your HTC One X. Note that this guide is for advanced Android users and you shouldn’t attempt to install it if you’re a novice when it comes to using CWM Recovery and flashing custom ROMs and kernels.
This build has been created by the EternityProject team and the files that will help you have been posted on XDA. This isn’t an official release and the ROM is still in its first stages of development, which means that it might still pack some bugs and errors. However, the bugs we’ve found are not that many and in case you find anything that would worth reporting it, then please post it in the comments field so that others will see it. For this ROM to work with your One X device, you will also be forced to install another kernel that has been created by the same EPRJ team.
In order to correctly install this new CM10 based custom ROM, you will first need to read the pre-requisites guide and learn what steps you have to take so that you’ll manage to flash all files from your first attempt. If you want more info, you should ask for it in comments. This is a fast ROM and you shouldn’t have any problems using it, but you still need to create a Nandroid backup. All about this can be found in the preparation guide below.
Now that you know all this, move to the prep guide and learn how to successfully configure your HTC One X device so that you’ll manage to install the CM10 Jelly Bean 4.1 EPRJ preview build ROM. Here’s what you have to do:
- Make sure that the device you’re about to update with this custom ROM is the HTC One X. The ROM files won’t work with other Android devices and you shouldn’t attempt to install CM10-EPRJ custom ROM on other phones.
- The HTC ONE X you’re about to update with this ROM should be unlocked, rooted and CWM Recovery image should be installed on it. Use this ROOT guide to learn how to apply all these actions on your phone. If your device meets these requirements, then you can skip this step.
- Create a Nandroid backup of the existing ROM, as in case you cannot use the phone after the update, you will be able to restore the backup files. Do not install the new ROM without having a full backup of the currently installed Android ROM.
- You should move all important files on your computer via USB cable. You can save list of applications installed, SMS, Call Logs and the APN Internet Settings by using the following Android utilities: AppBAK for Android apps backup | SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore. Note that these apps are working only on rooted phones.
- Sync your Phone Contacts with your Gmail account. This will backup the phone numbers and you won’t lose any of them. After the new ROM is installed you need to enter the same Gmail account in order to restore all your phone contacts.
- Enable USB debugging option from the phone’s Development options.
- Your computer should have the Samsung USB drivers installed on it. If you don’t know whether the USB drivers are installed or not, please use this download link HERE and install the files on your PC. This is a mandatory step and in case your phone doesn’t have the USB drivers installed, then you won’t be able to flash the ROM.
- Make sure that your phone’s battery is fully charged so that the ONE X won’t power off while you’re installing this new CM10 based ROM.
- This tutorial is for advanced Android users and you shouldn’t try to install the ROM if you’re a beginner, unless you have someone nearby to help you. Also, note that we cannot be held responsible in case your device gets bricking during the installation of CM10 EPRJ custom ROM.
- Read the entire tutorial and apply all the steps that I have listed in the tutorial below. Do not skip any of the steps listed as that will result in a failed attempt and you will be forced to restart the installation of this new ROM.
I think that these are all the general instructions that you had to read and now, you should move to the tutorial. In case you cannot update the phone or you can’t understand some of the instructions that I have listed, then you should ask for help in comments. Remember that this ROM is still an experimental release of CM10 and there might be some bugs and errors.
How to install Experimental CM10 EPRJ JellyBean 4.1 custom ROM on your HTC ONE X
- Download the CM10-EPRJ custom ROM zip file HERE. Place the file on your PC desktop and do not extract its files.
- Next, download the CM10 Eternity Projecty kernel file HERE for stock file or from HERE for the overclocked kernel. Save the file/ files on your PC and extract the contents into a single folder. Note that you’ve downloaded both the Oveclocked kernel and the Stock one, but you only need to chose of them to install.
- Download the Gapps for Jelly Bean file HERE. Save the file on your PC and do not extract its contents.
- Now, connect your HTC ONE X phone to your computer. If the drivers are installed correctly and the phone is recognized you can move to the next step.
- Next, copy the ROM zip file and the ‘Gapps’ zip on your phone’s internal sdcard. Move to the next step after the files are transferred successfully.
- Go to the EternityProject folder, the one you created at step 2, and launch the Execte_me.bat file. This will install the kernel on your phone.
- When the kernel has been installed you should disconnect the phone from your PC. Also, power off the One X smartphone.
- Boot into the custom Recovery mode by pressing and holding simultaneously the following buttons: ‘volume down’ key and ‘power’ button to load ‘HBOOT’ / bootloader mode. Select RECOVERY and press Power to boot into CWM recovery mode.
- Now, select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ from the recovery options and then confirm that you want to complete this action. After that select ‘wipe cache’ option and confirm the deletion.
- When the data has been wiped, you should select ‘install zip from sdcard’ and then, from the next screen, select ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the CM10 JB EPRJ ROM zip and install it. It should be the file downloaded at step 1 and moved on your device’s internal sdcard at step 5.
- After the ROM is installed you should repeat step 10 and install the Gapps zip. Confirm that you wish to flash Google apps package and when the process is done you should return to the main recovery menu.
- Select ‘reboot system’ and then wait for your HTC One X to boot successfully into this new ROM.
- Enter your Google account details and you will be able to experience the whole CM10 EPRJ and Jelly Bean 4.1.1 experience right on your smartphone.
That’s it, now your HTC One X is running on the CyanogenMod 10 EPRJ custom ROM and you should start testing its functions and features. Remember that in case you find any bugs or errors, you should post them in our comments field for other One X users to see them.
Also, if you have any problems in completing the installation of this custom ROM, you should tell us in comments exactly where you got stuck and we will try to come with a solution and help you finish the install process.