How to Update HTC One X with MIUI v2.5.18
The HTC One X is maybe one of the fewest handsets released on the market that can compete with the upcoming Samsung Galaxy S3 super smartphone, though it can never win this fight. Its performances are indeed high end, the One X being an appealing Android powered device that can easily impress the audience. Anyway, for properly enjoying its capabilities you will have to make some changes into its system. And the best way to do the same is by learning how to get and install a custom ROM on your HTC One X.
There are many versions of unofficial updates and custom ROMs available for your phone, but not all are working as it should. Most of them are having major issues and bugs, so before adventuring in applying an update, first check if its features are what you need, or if it’s suitable for your handset. But thanks to those of MIUI we now have a more stable version of the same custom ROM. The latest MIUI v2.5.18 custom ROM firmware can now be safely installed on your HTC One X, this being what I will be showing you during this step by step guide.
In the end, you will be able to enjoy the ICS experience along with other features which are not included in the default version of the Android software; your phone will gain speed, the battery life will be improved, a theme manager will be added, the looks will be upgraded and the system will be unchained and ready for customization and optimization operations. We all know that a custom ROM is the most powerful firmware available for powering up the performances of a smartphone, so flashing the same is no longer an option for you.
But, you must be aware, that for being able to update your HTC One X with the MIUI v2.5.18 ROM you need to have a rooted device with Clock Work Mod recovery installed on its system. You can find out how to complete these tasks by searching through our previous guides. The procedures are easy to handle, so don’t worry as you will not have problems in completing the steps. Take note, that once you gain root access and install a custom recovery image you will void the warranty. That means you have to pay attention and do all as explained here, because if else you can brick your phone.
Furthermore, the present update isn’t coming from HTC, meaning that it’s not an official firmware released by the already mentioned company. There are no words about a possible update, so if you want to upgrade the One X Android OS, this will be the only way possible. Remember that the warranty can be regained as soon as you downgrade to the official version of the software, or after you apply an official OS update.
Being a custom ROM, you will have to be careful. So, for avoiding unpleasant situations, you must perform a backup operation first. I know that nowadays, having a smartphone is more like having a computer near you, so the amount of personal info stored in its internal memory is huge. That’s why you must save the messages, contacts, data, Market apps and everything else you need to. Here on Android.gs we have showed you how to do this, so you might want to check our indications:
- Download SMS backup and restore apps for android.
- Save Call logs by installing backup and restore tools.
- Sync with Google and learn how to use Google cloud for saving the contacts.
- Backup the current ROM by installing and using Clock Work Mod recovery.
- Use your notebook for saving any other data.
Then, on each operation there are required some preparation. First of all, you will have to have access to a Windows running computer, to your phone and to its USB cord. Then, you need to complete the following list:
- Root the HTC One X.
- Install Clock Work Mod recovery on your device.
- Charge the battery of your phone before updating its system.
- Uninstall all the security programs which are running on your computer or on your smartphone.
- The last thing to do is to enable the USB debugging option from your device. Just go to “Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging” and check the last option.
Now, after taking care of your device, we can start the proper operation. The steps are being explained below, check them and make sure you are following my directions. Don’t do things by yourselves as you can wreck your phones; also apply the guide only for the HTC One X handsets.
How to Update HTC One X with MIUI v2.5.18 custom ROM firmware
- First of all install CM 9 on your HTC One X. In this way we can be sure that all is working as it should.
- Then, download the boot.img file from here and the MIUI update from here and place the files to your computer.
- Connect the phone with the computer via USB cord.
- Copy the update zip file from the PC to your phone’s SD card.
- Disconnect the handset.
- Reboot and enter in bootloader.
- To do this hold the Volume UP Key and OK button while powering the device on.
- From bootloader select “fastboot”.
- Connect the smartphone again with the computer.
- On the PC extract the “Flash_Boot_MIUI.Zip” file and then run the “flash-boot-windows.bat” executable.
- On your phone select “HBOOT” and then “Recovery”.
- In the recovery mode menu select to perform a full wipe of the system (this is why you need to backup the data – se above how): “Wipe data/factory reset” and “Wipe cache partition”.
- Then, from the same menu select “install zip from sd card” and “choose zip from sd card” and pick the file named “miuiandroid_endeavoru-2.5.18.zip”.
- Wait until the installation procedure is over.
- From the recovery mode select “go back” and “reboot system now”.
- Disconnect the device from the PC as you are finally done.
Take you HTC One X and see if the MIUI v2.5.18 custom ROM firmware is running and if there are bugs in the system. Tell us what you think about this software and if you like it. If there were problems on your way, share the issues with us (in the comments area) and we will try to assist you by offering the best solutions. Also, stay tuned for more OS updates.