Updating your Android device with OTA, official / stock or custom ROMs is easy but only if you know how to apply the flashing process. Each update operation can be performed in different ways, so due to same reasons during the following lines I will be teaching you how to easily update your HTC One X with OTA, official and custom Android ROMs.
Now you can update your HTC One X in different ways, depending on what you want to obtain in the end. For example the OTA update can be applied with ease as you only have to use your phone’s settings, while manually updating your Android smartphone to stock firmware implies in using dedicated steps and programs. The same is being applied when talking about custom ROMs, so before installing something on your device, make sure to use the proper update solution and method, or else you can end up in bricking your phone – learn how to unbrick HTC One X with ease.
A custom ROM is great especially if you want to change the look of your HTC One X. Furthermore, you should use a custom Android firmware if you want to improve the performances of you device and if you want to upgrade the web browsing experience. You can anytime choose a stable and smooth custom update for your HTC One X by checking this page. Then, don’t hesitate and use the steps from below in order to safely install your favorite custom ROM software. Do note that this is an unofficial operation and root access will be first required – also a custom recovery image must be flashed on your One X. Due to same reasons the warranty of your device will get void.
Now, on the other hand, updating HTC One X to stock or official Android OS implies in taking your phone to its initial state. So, the update operation is official and can be flashed on both rooted and locked smartphones. Furthermore, if you have performed an unofficial operation on your device and lost its warranty, by flashing the stock Android OS you can restore the warranty and fix your damaged Android phone.
In order to avoid bad things from happening, especially when thinking in updating HTC One X with a custom ROM, before doing anything else the best will be to backup your data which is saved on the internal storage memory of your phone. In that matter you can anytime use backup and restore apps from Google Play and you can save everything you might need afterwards. Furthermore, it will be great to save even your current ROM by making a Nandroid backup – you can use this Nandroid backup for restoring the stock Android OS.
On the manual installation procedures a computer will be required, while your phone’s USB cable must be near you. The USB debugging option must be enabled on your HTC One X so go to menu – settings – developer options and ensure the same. Check the battery status of your device and if there is less than 60% power left, don’t hesitate and plug in the charger before updating your HTC One X. Also apply the steps from below only if you own the HTC One X because this step by step guide is compatible only with the mentioned Android device.
How to Update HTC One X
Update using OTA firmware
- First of all make sure that you can use a WiFi connection; don’t use the mobile data plan.
- On your phone tap on menu.
- Go to settings and hit about phone.
- Up next tap on Software version.
- And check for a new update.
- If a firmware is being available download the same and wait while the ROM is being automatically installed.
Manually update / downgrade to stock / official Android OS
This operation can be performed in two ways: using a Nandroid backup file or the RUU compatible with your HTC One X. For both methods a computer is being required. On the computer disable the antivirus protection because the security tools might interfere with the update procedure. Moreover on the PC Android SDK and fastboot must be installed: install Android SDK on Windows or set up ADB on MAC OS X / Linux.
First of all you will have to download the Nandroid backup file or the RUU on your computer. Then install Flashtool program on your PC as you will need the same on the installation procedure. Anyway, the proper update operation is being detailed here.
Update HTC One X with Custom ROM via custom recovery image
- Root access need to be ensured and CWM or any other custom recovery image installed on your phone.
- On your computer download the custom ROM file and the Google Apps package if the same isn’t included on the firmware file.
- Don’t unzip these files just transfer the same on your phone’s SD card – first plug in the USB cable and connect your smartphone with your computer.
- Now enter recovery mode on your Android device.
- From recovery select “wipe data factory reset”, “wipe cache partition” and “wipe dalvick cache”.
- Up next select “install zip from SD card” and “choose zip from SD card”.
- Pick the firmware file and install the same; repeat that process and flash Google Apps package.
- From main menu of recovery select “reboot system now” and you are done.
So, that’s how you can update your HTC One X. For other Android related tips and tricks and dedicated step by step guides don’t hesitate and check out our how to section.