As you might know the official Android 4.1 Jelly Bean software has been released and it’s currently available for the HTC One XL devices, so you can anytime get and apply the OTA update. But, if you want to spice things up and install the same stock ROM but the rooted and deodexed one, then you can follow and complete this step by step guide. Therefore, during the next few lines we will be checking in how to update the HTC One XL to official Jelly Bean 4.1 OS, but by installing a custom ROM firmware.
By applying this software you will update the One XL to stock Android 4.1 meaning that there won’t be added extra features or custom looks; you will get the default Jelly Bean flavor. The only difference between the OTA upgrade and the present Jelly Bean 4.1 software is related to the root aspect. This ROM is rooted and deodexed, so you don’t need to perform other operations after completing the present one. As usual, the update has been made available by those of xda-developers so we have them to thanks for this tutorial.
Now, even though we are dealing with the official Android 4.1 Jelly Bean OS for your HTC One XL, for being able to apply this tutorial, you will have to first prepare your phone for the installation process that will shortly follow. Furthermore, you will not use Odin for flashing the platform, a custom recovery image being required instead. But more aspects about the same a little bit later. Now, let’s take care of the pre requisites, which are listed below.
- If you don’t make a backup before applying the update, you might end up noticing that all of your personal saves have been wiped out. Therefore, backup the text messages, EFS folder, internet settings, market apps, contacts and everything else you need to. Don’t perform the backup by using the ROM manager because you can brick your handset.
- Gain S-off for your HTC One XL or else you will not be able to install the official and rooted Jelly Bean 4.1 software.
- Also, root your phone before heading to the proper steps.
- Be aware as the warranty will get void. Even though you are flashing the stock ROM, you will lose the One XL warranty due to the fact that this is a rooted firmware. The warranty can be restored if you make a downgrade or if you flash the same Android 4.1 OS but the one that is being offered by HTC.
- After rooting, also install a custom recovery image, like CWM recovery, on your One XL. This tool is extremely important for what will follow, so don’t skip this step.
- Make sure you can use a Windows running computer.
- On the same and on your smartphone, temporarily deactivate all the security programs; antivirus and Firewall protection included.
- On your device, go to “Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging” and check (enable) the last option (the USB debugging one).
- Check the battery status of your phone and if there is less than 60% power left, go and charge the One XL; else the handset might get turned off in the middle of the operation.
- Apply this tutorial only if you own the HTC One XL. The stock Jelly Bean Android 4.1 OS can be installed by using this method only on the mentioned smartphone; else, you will risk in bricking your Android based device.
How to Update HTC One XL with Rooted Stock Jelly Bean 4.1 ROM
- Use this link for downloading the update file on your computer.
- Up next, connect the handset with the computer as you need to place the downloaded file on the phone.
- Select the file from the PC and copy-paste or drag and drop it to your phone’s SD card.
- Then, unplug the USB cord.
- Turn off the smartphone and reboot in bootloader.
- The bootloader can be entered by pressing and holding the Volume UP Key, OK button and Power key at the same time. Then, from the bootloader menu just select “recovery”.
- A full wipe must be now performed; without applying this, the Jelly Bean ROM will not work as expected.
- So, select “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition”.
- Return to recovery by pressing “+++go back+++”.
- You can now begin the update operation.
- All you have to do is to select “install zip from SD card” followed by “choose zip from SD card”.
- Pick the update file from the SD card and begin the flashing process.
- In the end, select “+++go back+++” and “reboot system now”.
- As a final note, the first boot will probably take longer than usual. If so, don’t worry as there is nothing wrong with your phone.
So, that was all for now. You have finally succeeded in installing the official stock Android 4.1 Jelly Bean OS on your HTC One XL. As mentioned the software is rooted and deodexed. Test the firmware and see how it performs; there shouldn’t be any bugs, but if you encounter any issues share the same by using the comments area from below. In case you don’t like this ROM, then you can anytime install the official OTA OS, as the Jelly Bean platform is available for your One XL.