Update HTC Sensation with CM10 Jelly Bean Custom ROM Firmware
The HTC Sensation is ready to receive the Android 4.1 Jelly Bean update, as a suitable version of CyanogenMod 10 has just been leaked. The ROM is still in beta stage of development, the CM team trying to resolve the last few issues and bugs which were reported by those who had tested the firmware. But this is a minor problem when you want to try the new Android flavor and you just can’t wait for the official update to be released. Therefore, during the following step by step guide, I will be showing you in how to update your HTC Sensation smartphone by installing the beta CyanogenMod 10 custom ROM firmware.
Take note that there might be some issues with this software as this is not the stable variant of the same. If you decide to flash CM10, then you agree that it’s not on its best shape and there should be things that might not work at all. The problems will be resolved though, as soon as a new variant of this update will be provided, but until then we can help you with a more proper Jelly Bean OS suitable for your HTC Sensation. For making a better idea about these aspects here are the problems reported by those of xda-developer, the first who had tested the firmware: there are issues with the radio, the WiFi, the audio sounds, with Google Now, with the camera, the lights sensors and with buttons and notification lights. These are just some of the bugs, there might be many others.
On the other hand, there are features that do work. As you know, a custom ROM is designed in order to bring capabilities that can’t be found in the default version of the Android platform. In this way your handset can be powered up and its performances upgraded. The battery life is improved, you can gain more speed, the RAM memory is optimized and the system opened for changes and for customization and optimization procedures. Anyway, here is the list of CM10 features that works for your HTC Sensation. These are only the most relevant ones; I let you discover the rest of them by yourselves.
Be aware that you will not be able to update the Sensation with CM10 unless you previously gain S-Off and unlock the bootloader of your phone. These are two easy to handle operations so don’t get scared and follow our how to guides in order to complete the same. After that you should also install a custom recovery image into the system. The most relevant aspect linked to the up-mentioned procedures is referring to the warranty which will be void. You can anytime restore it though, but only if you apply the stock ROM or if you update with an official software released by HTC. Then, the bootloader will be relocked and the S turned On.
Furthermore, I recommend you to backup the Sensation too. The data might get corrupted so you can lose your recent saves. The contacts, messages, call logs, internet saves, calendar info and many others will be removed from the phone internal storage memory as you will have to make a full wipe. Also it’s recommended to backup the current ROM, because you can easily restore it if something bad happens while trying to apply the new one. Take your time and perform a full and safe backup; you can consult our suitable how to guides for learning how to deal with it.
The last thing before advancing to the steps is related to the pre requisites. Just follow and complete the next list:
- You will have to use a Windows running computer from where you should deactivate the security tools.
- Do the same on your smartphone.
- On the device enable the USB debugging option.
- Turn S-Off.
- Unlock the bootloader.
- Install a custom recovery image and do a backup.
- Charge the handset so it can stay “alive” during the installation method.
Make sure you are applying this tutorial only for the HTC Sensation devices and not for similar ones; you can easily brick or damage them, so be careful in what you do.
How to Update HTC Sensation with CyanogenMod 10 Custom ROM Firmware
- Download the CM10 file from here.
- Download Google Apps from here.
- Save the files to your computer.
- Connect the handset with the PC via USB cord.
- Copy both files to the smartphone.
- Remove the USB cable.
- Turn the Sensation off.
- Reboot it in recovery mode.
- For recovery mode: press and hold Volume down and Power buttons.
- From recovery you must do a wipe, so previously do the backup mentioned above.
- For the wipe select “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition”.
- Then select “+++go back+++”.
- From the recovery main menu select “install zip from sd card” followed by “choose zip from sd card”.
- Pick the ROM file first and then do the same for the Google Apps file.
- Wait until the installation process ends and don’t press anything while charging.
- In the end, go back on recovery mode and select “reboot system now”.
- That’s all.
Well, that was the step by step guide from where you can learn how to manually update the HTC Sensation to Jelly Bean 4.1 by installing the beta CyanogenMod 10 Custom ROM Firmware. Remember that there are bugs in the system so just test it and if you don’t like how it performs, try another update (ICS one as this is the only way possible for flashing Jelly Bean so far). Also, if you had problems with the steps above don’t hesitate and share them with us so we can help you through.