Update HTC Sensation to CM9 Nightly ROM Firmware
HTC Sensation recently received the CM9 update and now it comes with support for CM9 nightly also. This means that you can easily update it to a nightly build firmware which will eventually become beta and stable editions of CM9. All the info listed in this post will help you install and update your Sensation dual-core phone to a new nightly CyanogenMod 9 firmware.
Before we can start updating your device to the new CM9 nightly build firmware, you will need to learn how to properly prepare the Sensation device so that everything will go accordingly to plan so that you won’t brick it. Please note that we cannot be held responsible if something gets damaged and your phone won’t be able to boot after the new ROM has been installed. Also, make sure to read all the steps needed and the preparation info guide. Here’s what you need to know and what you need to do before installing CM9 Nightly on your HTC Sensation:
- the HTC Sensation needs to have the S-Off and the bootloader unlocked. If your doesn’t then you need to read this guide here.
- CWM recovery needs to be installed on your phone.
- this CM9 Nightly build ROM will work only with HTC One S devices; do not attempt to install it on any other smartphones.
- it is recommended for you to backup the important files currently stored on your Sensation device. You can place them on the internal sdcard or you can choose to move them on your computer using the USB connection cable.
- Sync your phone contacts with the Gmail account. Learn how to do it by reading this guide here.
- text messages and call logs information can be saved using these two Android applications: Call Logs backup & restore | SMS backup&restore.
- backup your phone’s APN and MMS Settings as these will be valuable in case you won’t be able to use data connection after the ROM update.
- enable the USB Debugging mode.
- make sure to charge the device’s battery and that it says it is over 70; that will prevent it from switching the phone off while we’re installing the new ROM firmware.
That’s all you had to know. Now you’re ready to move to the tutorial guide and learn how to properly install the cyanogenmod9 nightly build firmware on your HTC Sensation.
Make sure to read all the steps and that you know what you’re doing, as in ‘you’re an advanced Android user that only needs some guidance while installing a new ROM’.
How to update the HTC Sensation phone to CM9 Nightly ROM firmware:
- Download the CM9 Nightly ROM zip file from HERE.
- Download the Google Apps zip file from here. This package needs to be installed after you’ve flashed the CM9 Nightly and it will add Gmail, Gtalk, calendar and all other Google applications, as these aren’t packed with the custom ROM files.
- Both zips downloaded at step 1 and 2 need to be move on your HTC Sensation internal sdcard. So, connect the phone to your PC and copy them. Disconnect the phone after that.
- Power off the phone and then boot it into CWM recovery. It can be done by pressing ‘volume down’ and ‘power’ buttons simultaneously.
- When you’re seeing the ‘HBOOT’ menu you need to select ‘Recovery’. Wait for the cwm recovery mode to be loaded.
- When in recovery, you need to perform a NANDROID backup using the ‘backup & restore’ menu. When finished, get back to the main recovery screen.
- Now, select ‘wipe data/factory reset’ and confirm the data removal. Go to next step when that is complete.
- Select ‘install zip from sd card’ and then ‘choose zip from sd card’. Now, find the ROM file you’ve moved at step 3 on your phone’s internal sdcard. Confirm the installation and wait for it to complete; after that move to the next step.
- Return to the main recovery screen and repeat step 8, only that now you need to select the ‘gapps.zip’ file to install. Wait for Google Apps to be flashed and after that select ‘++Go Back++’ and then ‘reboot system now’ option.
- Wait for your HTC Sensation to perform it’s first boot process. When the main CM9 screen appears it means that you’ve successfully installed all the correct files.
These were all the steps that you had to take and now you’re free to customize your CM9 Nightly installation.
In case you’ve stumbled and you can’t complete any of the listed steps above, then you should ask for help in comments.
NOTE: If you wish to update the CM9 Nightly ROM to newer firmware builds, then you will need to simply download the new one and then place it on your phone’s internal SDcard. After that you need to boot into CWM recovery and flash the new firmware ROM. This means that you don’t have to wipe any data nor to re-install Google Apps.
I hope that you found this guide helpful. In case you found this guide by mistake and instead you need another Android guide, then please feel free to use the search box and you should find at least one guide that will help you improve your Android experience and enhance the overall performance of your smartphone or tablet.