Update HTC Sensation to MIUI Jelly Bean 4.1.1 custom ROM
The HTC Sensation has just received a new custom ROM that is based on Jelly Bean and it is also a popular one, MIUI. Use the instructions in this post and you will learn how to successfully flash this update on your phone.
MIUI ROM is a very popular release and now it is based on the Jelly Bean 4.1.1 OS. This post contains all the info you need in order to correctly install it on your HTC Sensation smartphone without damaging it. Since this release is a beta build, the ROM might pack some errors and bugs and you shouldn’t use it as a daily ROM. The front camera isn’t working and there might be some other small tools and features that weren’t optimized for Jelly Bean. If you find any, please let us know in comments.
Before we can begin to install this new ROM, you should read the instructions listed below in the preparation guide and you will learn how to correctly configure your device so that the MIUI Jelly Bean 4.1.1 Firmware will be successfully installed on your HTC Sensation device. Here’s what you need to know:
- Install this new custom ROM only on the HTC Sensation phone. Do not attempt to flash its files on any other devices as that will result in damaging those phones and you might never retrieve your data.
- Your phone should be S-OFF and the bootloader has to be unlocked.
- Also, it should be rooted and the CWM recovery image needs to be installed on it.
- Create a full backup of the data currently stored on your smartphone. This action is required as in case you don’t like the new ROM, then you will be able to restore the working ROM.
- If you wish to backup applications, SMS, Call Logs and APN Internet Settings then please use the following guides: AppBAK for Android apps backup | SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore.
- Move photos, video and other files that you consider to be important on your computer using the USB cable. After you install MIUI ROM you can restore these files back on your smartphone.
- Sync the Phone Contacts app with your Gmail account. You won’t lose any important phone number that is stored on your HTC Sensation.
- Enable USB debugging option.
- Charge the phone’s battery so that this won’t power off during the MIUI ROM installation.
- Note that this update is for advanced Android users and you should read the entire article before moving to the first step of the tutorial guide. Also, remember that we cannot be held responsible in case your device gets bricked or you lose important data during the installation.
Now that you’ve read all this above, I think that you should continue with the rest of this article’s instructions. Make sure that you don’t skip any of the steps listed and in case you cannot complete the tutorial then you should tell us in comments and we will try to give you some extra instructions.
How to update HTC Sensation with MIUI Jelly Bean 4.1.1 custom ROM
- Download the MIUI ROM zip file from here. Save the file on your computer’s desktop and don’t extract its files.
- Now you need to connect the HTC Sensation phone to your computer and move the ROM file on its internal sdcard.
- After the transfer is complete you should disconnect the phone from PC.
- Next, power OFF the smartphone and boot into CWM Recovery mode. First you need to boot in HBOOT menu and this can be done by holding simultaneously ‘volume down’ and ‘power’ buttons. When in HBOOT you need to press ‘volume down’ and highlight Recovery. Confirm that you want to load this mode by pressing ‘Power’.
- When CWM Recovery is loaded you should first select ‘backup and restore’ option. Use it to create a full NANDROID backup of the existing ROM. Select ‘backup’ from the new menu and this will start the backup. If you already have a backup of the existing ROM, then you should skip this step.
- Now select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ and confirm that you want to delete data from the system partition. When the process is complete, move to the next step.
- Select ‘install zip from sdcard’ and then from the new menu select ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the ROM zip file and confirm that you wish to install it.
- When the MIUI Jelly Bean 4.1.1 ROM is successfully installed you have to return to the main recovery menu and select ‘reboot system now’.
- Wait for the first boot process in the new OS to load successfully and when your see the MIUI Jelly Bean home screen it means that you’re done, the update has been completed.
- Enter your Google Account details and take control over your phone.
NOTE: If the first boot process takes too long to complete, at least over 15 minutes, then you should power OFF the phone and repeat the entire tutorial once again as eventually you will manage to complete the update.
I hope that you found this guide helpful and that you’ve successfully flashed the MIUI Jelly Bean 4.1.1 custom ROM on your HTC Sensation device. If you didn’t manage to install it, then you should ask for extra help in comments. Also, if you have any tips or tricks use the same comments section.
For any other HTC Sensation guides click the device’s name listed under this article’s featured picture.
If you don’t like this custom ROM MIUI update based on Jelly Bean, then you should boot again into CWM Recovery and restore the former ROM files. Alternatively, you can use ROM Manager app and restore the backup files right from your smartphone’s UI interface.