Update HTC Sensation to Official AOKP ROM Android 4.0.4 ICS Firmware
AOKP ROM is one of the most popular custom installation for Android devices and now you can easily install it right on your HTC Sensation device by reading this article. Make sure that you’re an advanced Android user so that you won’t damage your phone while upgrading its firmware files.
The AOKP custom ROM for HTC Sensation brings a better UI and it should improve the overall performances so that you will benefit from a better Android 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich experience. The AOKP custom ROM is available for numerous devices, but in this post we will only talk about the version for Sensation devices. Installing this new firmware you will get rid off of all HTC bloatware along with all other carrier and manufacturer user interfaces, which are considered to be stock functions and features.
Usually, these stock functions are installed by the phone’s manufacturer and you cannot use other similar applications that are created by independent developers. Such tools are better and more flexible than the stock ones and most Android users would like to use, but you can do it only by rooting your device and flashing a brand new custom ROM.
For this custom ROM to be installed successfully on your device, the HTC Sensation has to be S-OFF, rooted and the CWM Recovery image should be installed, as otherwise you won’t be able to flash AOKP firmware on it. Also, do not attempt to install this ROM on any other devices, but the HTC Sensation. Before we can move to the tutorial guide, you need to read the preparation info below. This will teach you how to backup data, applications and other settings so that you won’t lose your important files during the update process. Here’s what you need to know:\
- the HTC Sensation device that you wish to update with AOKP custom ROM should be rooted and CWM Recovery has to be installed on it. Here’s a guide that will help you root it. Also, your device should be S-OFF and unlocked.
- during the update process it is recommended for you to wipe all data except for the internal and / or external sd card. This means that all the files that you consider to be important and are stored on your phone need to be moved on your internal sd card. The internal and external sdcard won’t be changed while updating the ROM.
- you can also move the important files on your computer and restore them back on your Sensation phone after the ROM in successfully flashed.
- all the applications that you have currently installed on your device can easily be saved using the AppBak application. Also, if you wish to backup sms text messages and call logs info you should use these two Android programs: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore.
- Phone Contacts can easily be saved using your Gmail account and syncing all the contacts data stored on your device. If you don’t know how to do it, then you can use this guide here.
- APN and MMS Settings are the values that you should also backup. It can be done with APN backup and restore for Android program. This actions is recommended so that in case you won’t be able to browse the internet after the ROM update, then you will have to use this program to restore the correct values for internet access.
- you should enable the USB Debugging and after that you will have to make sure that your phone has over 55% battery power left. This will prevent your phone from powering off.
- before starting to update to AOKP ROM you should create a full backup of your current installed ROM firmware so that in case you don’t like the new rom then you will be able to use CWM Recovery or ROM Manager to restore it.
That’s all the info you had to know before moving to the tutorial guide. Now you can start installing AOKP custom ROM on your device easily if you’re an advanced Android user. Also, remember that we cannot be held responsible nor the developer for any problems that you might stumble upon after the update is complete.
Move to the tutorial guide and make sure to apply all the steps listed. Use the comments field to ask for help on installing the new firmware.
How to update HTC Sensation to AOKP Android 4.0.4 ICS custom ROM firmware:
- Download the AOKP ROM zip package file. Save it on your PC.
- Download the latest Gapps zip file. This will help you flash the Google applications needed in order to use Gtalk, Gmail, Play Store and all other apps from Google. Make sure to download the latest file.
- Move both zip files on your phone’s internal sdcard. After this you need to disconnect your phone from your computer.
- As the device is now switched off you should enter CWM Recovery. Do it by pressing ‘volume down’ + ‘power’ buttons. HBOOT menu will appear and you need to select Recovery.
- Now you have to wipe the data. Select ‘wipe data/factory reset’. Confirm this actions and wait until the wipe process is complete.
- Find ‘install zip from sdcard’ and after that ‘choose zip from sd card’. Now navigate and point recovery selection to the AOKP ROM zip file.
- Confirm the installation of the new ROM and when this update process is complete you have to move to the next step.
- Now, we need to flash the ‘gapps.zip’ package. To do this, you have to repeat step 7 only that instead of the ROM zip you will have to select ‘gapps’ zip for installation. Confirm this process.
- After the Google Apps software is successfully installed you should return to the main recovery menu. Select ‘reboot system now’ and wait for the first boot of AOKP ROM to complete. Please note that the first boot process will take a while longer before completion, so you should simply wait until it finishes loading all its necessary files.
- Enter your Google account details and after this you’re free to customize your device and restore all your Android applications.
NOTE: In case the first boot of AOKP custom ROM takes too long to load and your device still hasn’t displayed the main Android screen, then it means that you should repeat the entire process because you might’ve forgotten to apply a step or two. Also, remember that your HTC Sensation has to be S-OFF, unlocked, rooted and remember to apply the step 5 since that’s one of the most important actions you need to take in order to correctly flash a new custom ROM on your device.
If everything went according to plan and your HTC Sensation has been successfully update to AOKP ICS custom ROM, then you’re free to restore the applications, sms and all other important data. For any other questions use the comments field. Also, if you want to read other Android tutorials then you should browse all our other website sections as I’m sure that you’ll find some tips and tricks that will teach you how to improve your Android experience.