HTC Thunderbolt has been launched from some time now and despite this, there isn’t any official update for it which is the main reason why numerous developers decided that there should be a release helping them to upgrade the OS of their smartphone.
This update, KillaSense 3.7, is based on HTC Sense 2.1 and it has been said that it greatly improves its performances and, if you wish to learn how to apply the changes then you need to read all info listed in this article. The Thunderbolt device was the first 4G LTE based smartphone release by Verizon and it came packed with Android 2.3.4 Gingerbread that used the HTC Sense 2.1.
Installing the KillaSense 3.7 will require for you to root the device prior and this means that you will lose the warranty. That can be restored only if you decide to return to its stock firmware. In case your device is already rooted, then you can easily move to the pre-requisites info where you will learn how to prepare the device and your PC for the updating process. Here’s what you need to know before the firmware update:
- backup the video, audio, pictures and any data file that you consider to be important so that in case any file gets corrupted then you will be able to restore them. You can create backups by transferring them on your computer or moving them on your phone’s internal SD card.
- backup the SMS text messages with SMS Backup & Restore application.
- backup the Call Logs using Call Logs Backup & Restore program.
- Contacts can be easily synced with your Gmail account. In case you don’t know how to do it, then follow this link and read the tutorial guide.
- Enable the USB Debugging mode.
- make sure that your phone’s battery level is over 75%. It will prevent it from switching off during the update.
- disable or remove all firewalls and antivirus apps so that no other service will interfere with the updating process.
That should do it, now you can move to the tutorial guide and learn how to successfully update your HTC Thunderbolt 4G device using KillaSense 3.7 Stock Sense 2.1 custom ROM firmware files. Make sure to apply all the instructions listed below, as you wouldn’t like to repeat the entire process if you notice that because you forgot to apply a single step the firmware update hasn’t been completed.
Update HTC Thunderbolt using KillaSense 3.7 custom ROM firmware:
- Download the KillaSense Custom ROM firmware zip file package and save it on your PC.
- Connect your phone to your computer and move the downloaded zip file on its SD card.
- Disconnect the phone from your PC and then power OFF the device.
- Enter Recovery mode by pressing the Volume down key and then Power button. Recovery Mode should start loading.
- When Recovery Mode has been successfully loaded, you need to select the options that allows you to wipe all data and cache. Also it is recommended that you delete dalvik cache. When done move to the next step.
- Choose ‘install zip from sd card’ and then from the new menu select ‘choose zip from sd card’.
- Browse until you find the zip file you moved at step 2. Select it to install and confirm all its actions. Wait until the update is complete.
- When the update is complete, return to recovery mode main menu and then select ‘reboot system now’ and your HTC Thunderbolt will begin the restarting process. That should do it, after the homescreen loads successfully, you will be free to work with your new KillaSense 3.7 custom ROM firmware for HTC Thunderbolt.
For any other questions, please ask away using the comments section listed below of this article.
Please note that in case the firmware update, for whatever reason, wasn’t successfully applied then you will need to read the entire post and making sure that the second time you apply all the steps listed in the tutorial guide.