The Huawei Honor 9 might be a great device, though its stock Android OS might not be the best platform that you can use in term of performance and user experience. The default Android Nougat 7.0 EMUI UI 5.1 isn’t running with lags or with bugs but it is quite different from the stock / pure Android skin. Thus, the software that comes pre-loaded on the Honor 9 is installed with bloatware and other apps that are slowing down the overall Nougat experience. Additionally, the customization possibilities on EMUI UI 5.1 are not that great.
So, maybe you might want to try something new; something different but yet something that’s classic and smooth. Yes, I am talking about a custom ROM that can bring the pure Android OS to your own Huawei Honor 9. This new release is based on Android 7.1.2 Nougat OS and delivers a stock-like experience instead of the modified EMUI UI 5.1. The custom ROM that I want to introduce is the Resurrection Remix platform, a popular custom update that is available for various Android smartphones and tablets.
The Resurrection Remix platform is one of the best custom ROMs that you can use on your Huawei Honor 9. The platform combines the capabilities of other popular ROMs such as Lineage OS, AOKP or Paranoid Android and ensures a pure-like Android experience in term of pre-loaded apps and customization / optimization possibilities. Moreover, the ROM is fast, secured and pre-installed with battery enhancements along with other important features, apps and capabilities which cannot be found on the stock Android system.
However, Resurrection Remix for Honor 9 is still under development stage. For now you cannot install a fully stable release of this ROM, though all the problems are addressed by the devs as we speak. Therefore, if you choose to install this beta release you might still find some minor problems from time to time – nothing major though, which means that you can use this Android 7.1.2 Nougat firmware on a daily basis without experiencing important issues. All the credits for this step by step update tutorial should go to those of xda-developers as they are the ones who are working in developing the Resurrection Remix ROM for the Huawei Honor 9.
If you are new to such update operations, you should know that a custom ROM is nothing but a free aftermarket distribution of the stock Android firmware. Shortly, that means the Resurrection Remix software is a ported and modified Android Nougat OS that is only powered by the stock firmware. Overall, the custom ROM has nothing to do with Google and it cannot be associated with your OEM. Thus, installing a custom update is an unofficial operation, which means that some risks are also involved.
The major downside is related to the warranty of your phone, which will get void during the update operation. Moreover, you can flash the Android 7.1.2 Nougat based Resurrection Remix system only in certain conditions, as it follows:
- Your Huawei Honor 9 must run on an unlocked bootloader – learn how to successfully unlock your phone’s bootloader by using our dedicated tutorial from here.
- A custom recovery image must be running on your phone if you want to resume the steps from this guide; therefore, learn how to install TWRP recovery on your Honor 9 first.
- Your smartphone must be rooted as otherwise the new custom ROM cannot replace the default Android firmware; so, it’s essential to gain root access before doing anything else.
Now, during the update operation a hard reset will be required and clearing app data cache will also happen. Because of that, you risk in losing everything that’s personal for you: contacts, call logs, texts, images, videos, audio files, market apps, internet settings, calendar info, saved passwords, IMEI / NVRAM data and more. So, be precautious and make a general backup first in order to secure your files. The backup can be applied within minutes by: syncing your data with your Google Account, using cloud storage platforms from Google Play or smartly manage already built-in cloud storage services.
And, since we are talking about a ROM that’s still under development stage, a good idea will be to make a Nandroid backup. This is a special backup operation that can be initiated through a custom recovery image and which can help you save the current Android OS that runs on your Honor 9. So, if the Resurrection Remix firmware will not run as expected you will be able to go back to stock without problems by using the Nandroid backup package.
And since this is a manual manner in which you can update your Honor 9, before staring the actual flashing steps you need to take care of the essential pre-requisites which are being listed below:
- You will have to download the update package and compatible Google Apps on a computer or on a similar device.
- Google Apps will have to be flashed separately because this package is not included in the Resurrection Remix platform.
- Along with the computer you will also have to use your Huawei Honor 9 and its USB cable.
- On your computer, only if you have problems while trying to download the required files, temporarily deactivate the security protection.
- On your smartphone check the battery level that’s left; if there is displayed less than 50% power, plug in the charger before resuming the Android 7.1.2 Nougat update procedure.
- If you don’t charge your phone its Android system might get turned off right in the middle of the update operation. Unfortunately, in that case you can end up in soft bricking your handset, so be careful.
- On your Huawei Honor 9 you must have Developer Options enabled; if not, you can do so by accessing About Phone from where you need to tap repeatedly on Built Number – after 7 or 10 taps you should receive the ‘you are a developer’ message.
- Afterwards, on your smartphone go to Menu – > Settings – > Developer Options. From there check the USB Debugging field.
- Don’t forget that your device must run on an unlocked bootloader, its system should be installed with a custom recovery image and root access should be already ensured.
- And, of course, apply this step by step guide for flashing Resurrection Remix only if you own the Huawei Honor 9 – don’t mess things up.
How to Update Huawei Honor 9 with Android 7.1.2 Nougat based Resurrection Remix custom ROM firmware
- As already outlined before, on your computer you must download the required files: the Resurrection Remix update file and compatible Google Apps.
- So, download the update package from here and the Google Apps package from here.
- Save these files on desktop if that’s ok with you.
- Now, power off your smartphone and wait while the shut down process is being completed.
- Next, reboot recovery mode on your Android device.
- From recovery choose to make a hard reset and to clear app data cache by picking: “wipe data factory reset”, “wipe cache partition” and “wipe dalvik cache”.
- Return to main menu of recovery when done and select “reboot system now”.
- Good; now, with your phone running on Android mode, connect your device with your computer with the help of the USB cable.
- After doing so, select the downloaded files from desktop and transfer everything to your Honor 9.
- In the end, remove the USB cord as the computer will no longer be required.
- Next, reboot recovery mode once more.
- From the main menu of recovery tap on Install and load the Android 7.1.2 Nougat update file.
- Swipe in order to begin the flashing process.
- When done, repeat the last two steps and install Google Apps.
- In the end return to recovery mode and choose “reboot system now”.
- That should be all.
So, at this point your Huawei Honor 9 should be running on the Android 7.1.2 Nougat based Resurrection Remix custom ROM firmware. Test the new software and try all the default features, apps and capabilities. If you find something that isn’t running as it should, don’t hesitate and share it with us and with the other users who are thinking in using this tutorial. Remember that you can anytime go back to stock by using the Nandroid backup file you ensured earlier (of course, that’s possible only if you had applied a Nandroid backup as previously suggested). For sharing anything else with us or for getting in touch with our team don’t hesitate and use the comments field from down below.