Install InsertCoin custom ROM based on Jelly Bean for Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300
The InsertCoin custom ROM is based on the XXDLIB 4.1.1 Jelly Bean firmware and now it can be installed on the Samsung Galaxy S3 using the instructions that I have listed in this post. It brings numerous tweaks and improvements for your device along with several new features that are working exclusively with XXDLIB firmware.
This update will not revoke root access, which means that you won’t be forced to search for a new guide that would teach you how to re-root the phone. Also, this is a custom ROM and it cannot be linked with any Samsung official source. If you wish to install it, then you should read the instructions that I have listed in the preparation guide below.
This is a new custom ROM for Galaxy S3, as InsertCoin is already a popular release for HTC phone like the One X and Sensation. Remember that this tutorial will not work with any other phones and you shouldn’t attempt to flash the firmware on any other devices. Also, note that since it is in its first stages of development, the InsertCoin Jelly Bean custom ROM might still be packing some errors and bugs. Note that you shouldn’t attempt to install it in case you are a beginner.
Now that you know all of the above, I think that you should move to the preparation info and learn how to properly configure your device so that you won’t risk any massive data loss. Here’s what you need to do:
- Install the InsertCoin Jelly Bean custom ROM on your Galaxy S3 I9300 international variant. Do not attempt to install it on any other variants of S3 as it won’t work. Check the phone’s model number by opening Settings and then opening the ‘About device’ menu. If your phone isn’t the I9300 variant then you should close this tutorial.
- Use the CWM Recovery or the ROM Manager and create a full backup of the existing ROM. It will work only with rooted devices.
- Move all the important files on your computer and this will prevent them from getting corrupted in the process. Alternatively, you can move the files on your phone’s internal sdcard.
- To backup a list of installed applications, SMS, Call Logs and the APN Internet Settings, please use the following Android applications: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore | AppBack for Android.
- Backup phone Contacts by syncing them with your Gmail.
- Enable USB debugging mode.
- Charge the phone’s battery so that it won’t power off in the middle of the updating process.
- Your phone should be rooted and running a custom recovery image. Without these you will not be able to flash this ROM.
- The Galaxy S3 that runs on an ICS firmware can be rooted using this guide HERE. If your device is already running on the XXDLIB 4.1.1 Jelly Bean firmware then you can root it using this guide here. Additional Galaxy S3 how-to guides can be found here.
- Do not attempt to flash this ROM if you’re a beginner. Also, note that we cannot be blamed in case you brick the phone or you lose any important data in the process.
- Use the comments section to ask for help in case you cannot complete the update.
That’s all the extra info that you need in order to correctly flash this new custom Jelly Bean ROM on your SGS3 device. Do not skip any of the steps that I have listed in the tutorial, as that will result in a failed attempt of updating your device. Now that you know all of the above, I think that you’re ready for the next part of this tutorial, which is to learn how to manually flash all custom ROM files.
How to update Samsung Galaxy S3 with InsertCoin Jelly Bean based custom ROM
- Download the InsertCoin XXDLIB custom ROM zip from HERE. Save the file on your PC and don’t extract its contents.
- Move the custom ROM zip file on your smartphone’s internal SD card via USB cable. After the transfer is complete, you should disconnect the phone from PC.
- Power off the Galaxy S3 and then boot it into CWM Recovery Mode. It can be done if you press simultaneously the following buttons: volume down, home and power. After the screen powers ON you can release the buttons.
- You can create a full ROM backup by selecting ‘backup and restore’ option. In case you already made a backup then you can skip this step. Note that by backing up the existing ROM, then you can use it to restore your device back.
- Select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ option and then confirm the process. This will not delete the contents of your phone’s internal sdcard but, it will delete the installed apps, SMS, Contacts etc.
- Next, select ‘install zip from sdcard’ and then ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the InsertCoin custom ROM zip and confirm that you want to install it.
- When the ROM install process is complete you can return to the main recovery screen. Select ‘reboot system now’.
- Wait for the Galaxy S3 to perform its first boot with this new ROM. Note that this will take at least 5 minutes to complete and you should simply wait until the new Jelly Bean InsertCoin welcoming screen is loaded.
- Enter your Google Account details and then you can begin customizing and testing this new ROM.
If the first boot process takes over 15 minutes to complete, then you should power off the device completely and then repeat the entire tutorial once again. Make sure that you apply step 5. if you cannot finish the installation, then you should ask for more in our comments section.
I hope that you found this guide helpful and that you’ve managed to flash the InsertCoin custom ROM on your Galaxy S3. Remember that in case you don’t like this new installation, then you should restore the backup of your previously installed ROM.