The International model of HTC One Max received the official Android 4.4.2 KiTKat OTA update (dubbed as 2.61.401.3) so all the users should be able to enjoy the same. Anyway, as we know, when talking about OTA releases we know that the updates are being rolled out in phases or gradually, so in our case, not all the HTC One Max users will receive the 2.61.401.3 Android 4.4.2 software at the same time. Due to same reasons, maybe you will want to manually install the firmware on your phone; in that case this dedicated step by step guide will be more than helpful for you.
Knowing how to manually install official or stock Android 4.4.2 KK update on the HTC One Max is important as this operation should be required when dealing with soft errors, when trying to restore the warranty of your device (the warranty usually gets void when gaining root access), when needing to revoke root access or when trying to unbrick your Android handset. As you can see, the best will be to bookmark this guide as who knows when you will need it.
So, if you have recently installed a custom ROM firmware on your HTC One Max and now you want to go back to stock Android OS, don’t hesitate and use this step by step guide. As you will see, manually flashing Android 4.4.2 KitKat 2.61.401.3 firmware is easy, this process being official and suitable even for newbies or entry level users. Of course, stick to the guidelines explained below as if you mess things up, you can end up in bricking your Android handset. Anyway, don’t worry as if you apply this guide, everything will be fine.
It’s important to know that this guide can be completed for both rooted and un-rooted HTC One Max. In case your phone has been previously rooted, after completing the steps from below, the root access will be revoked, the bootloader relocked and the stock Android OS reinstalled along with all the factory and default restrictions. Therefore, this firmware is the same with the OTA release, the 2.61.401.3 Android 4.4.2 KitKat OS being released by HTC and not by third party devs – basically we are not dealing with a custom ROM software.
Even though you will flash the stock Android firmware, it is recommended to backup your data first, as after all this is a manual update operation and in rare cases while flashing the OS the data might get corrupted. So, for avoiding the unpleasant situations, we are recommending you a full backup – use compatible apps from Google Play in order to save your personal data, info, accounts and contacts list, call logs, text messages, market apps or Internet Settings. Then, go ahead and apply the pre requisites list from below.
- Make sure that you can use a computer, your International model of HTC One Max and its USB cable.
- On the computer disable the antivirus, antimalware and any other security program as these tools might interfere with the download process.
- On your phone go to path “menu – settings – developer options” and enable the USB debugging option – else you won’t be able to properly connect your device with your computer.
- You should charge your device before doing anything else (especially if the battery level is lower than 50%) as if it gets turned off in the middle of the update process it might also get bricked.
- Remember that this tutorial is compatible only with the International model of the HTC One Max. Also, by completing the following steps you will be manually installing official Android 4.4.2 KitKat version number 2.61.401.3 on your Android smartphone.
- Don’t perform things without checking these guidelines and remember that you can anytime use this guide, whether you want to update, downgrade or fix your device.
How to Update International HTC One Max to Official Android 4.4.2 KitKat Firmware
- First of all, download the update file from here.
- Save this file on your computer but don’t unzip it.
- Then transfer the file from your computer to your HTC One Max – first connect your handset with your PC via USB cable.
- Unplug the USB cord and enter HTC One Max recovery mode.
- Now go to “apply from phone storage” or “apply from sd card” depending on where you have copied the OTA file.
- Just select the firmware file and flash the same on your phone.
- In the end, the best will be to choose from recovery “wipe cache partition” followed by “advanced” and “wipe dalvick cache”.
- If you end up in a boot loop, then go back to recovery mode and also select “wipe data factory reset”.
- Finally, select “reboot system now” from main menu of recovery and you are done.
Congratulations, you have successfully updated your International HTC One Max to official Android 4.4.2 KitKat firmware. So, test the new ROM and see how it performs on your phone; if there are bugs, or if your device runs with lags, share the problems with us and with other users by using the comments field from below. Also, stay close as during the following days we will show you how to root the HTC One Max that runs on Android 2.61.401.3 KitKat OS.