Updating your LG G Pro 2 is an easy thing to do, especially when talking about OTA Android releases. Your Android smartphone will receive various official updates and you will have to flash the same if you will want to get the best Android experience on your device and if you will want to run on a stable OS. Now, the update can be installed in many ways, so because of that, during the guidelines from below I will show you how to use the best and easiest operations. Furthermore, I will also show you how to install a custom ROM firmware on your LG G Pro 2, so don’t hesitate and read the following lines.
An official update can be flashed in two ways: you can either automatically update your LG G Pro 2 by using the OTA release, or you can choose to manually install the Android firmware. In both cases you will be applying the official Android OS and not a custom ROM. So, the warranty of your device will not get void and root access will not be required. Furthermore, the methods mentioned will be compatible with both rooted and un rooted Android smartphones. But, why to manually install an official update when you can use the OTA instead?
Well, basically, the OTA is usually rolled out in phases or gradually so not all the LG G Pro 2 users will receive the notification at the same time. Moreover, you might want to flash a leaked Android OS which isn’t yet OTA available, or you might need to downgrade your handset to stock Android firmware. The reasons might be various, so knowing how to manually update your LG G Pro 2 is a must have, especially if you are an advanced user who is performing unofficial procedures like gaining root access, installing a custom kernel, removing bloatware, flash a custom recovery image and so on.
Regarding to the custom ROM, here the things are a little bit more complicated. In order to apply a custom ROM on your LG G Pro 2, first you have to root your phone and install a custom recovery image into its system. Therefore the warranty will be void and you might end up in bricking your phone – if you mess things up which is unlikely when using a proper step by step guide like the present one. The warranty can be easily restored by downgrading your Android smartphone to official Android OS. Do note that on rooted G Pro 2 you can’t apply the OTA update – you have to manually install the official Android updates.
For the manual installation procedures you will have to prepare some things – the pre requisites. Well, the first to begin with is a backup operation. In most of the cases, when installing a new ROM, the data might get corrupted or even wiped out. So, because of that a backup is more than recommended. Therefore if you have something important saved on your LG G Pro 2, don’t go any further before using compatible apps from Google Play – save at least your personal data, info and accounts and general data like contacts list, call logs, text messages, internet settings, market apps or even your current ROM, by making a Nandroid backup – only when possible.
Then, you will have to use a computer; on that computer you need to deactivate, only temporarily, the security protection because tools like antivirus might interfere with the update operation. Then, on your LG G Pro 2 you need to enable USB debugging option from menu – settings – developer options and you will have to plug in the charger especially if your phone has less than 50% battery power left – in case you device gets turned off in the middle of the flashing operation it might also get bricked. Finally, remember that this step by step guide is compatible only with the LG G Pro 2, so use the guidelines from below only for updating the mentioned Android smartphone.
How to Update LG G Pro 2
Update with OTA Update
- The OTA update can be easily flashed on any Android device.
- All you have to do is to ensure that a WiFi connection is being enabled.
- Then, take your phone and tap on menu and then hit settings.
- Go to About Phone and choose Software update.
- Check for update and if an OTA is being available just download the same.
- Wait while the firmware is being updated on your LG G Pro 2.
- In the end, your smartphone will reboot into Android OS.
Manually update with official Android OS
If you can’t apply the OTA, or if you need to downgrade your LG G Pro 2 to stock Android OS, or if you just want to update your phone manually, then use the guide from here.
Do note that you have to download the firmware which is compatible with your version of G Pro 2; as you know each carrier is releasing its own version of Android OS so you need to flash the proper software, or else you will end up in damaging your smartphone.
Update with a custom ROM firmware like CyanogenMod, AOKP, ParanoidAndroid and so on
- Remember that you have to install a custom recovery image on your phone.
- Then, download on your computer the custom ROM file.
- Also download Google apps package because usually it is not included on the custom ROM update.
- Don’t unzip these files; just plug in the USB cable and connect your G Pro 2 with your computer and transfer the downloaded files on your phone’s SD card.
- Then, unplug the USB cable and enter recovery mode on LG G Pro 2.
- From recovery, wipe the data and clear cache – just select “wipe data factory reset”, “wipe cache partition” and “wipe dalvick cache”.
- Return to recovery and select “install zip from SD card” followed by “choose zip from SD card”.
- Then pick the Android firmware file and flash the update.
- Also, repeat that step and install Google Apps package.
- In the end from main menu of recovery select “reboot system now” and you are done.
Congratulations, you have successfully completed this step by step guide, so now you know how to update your LG G Pro 2 with official and custom Android firmware. You can anytime choose to apply an OTA update, flash stock Android OS or customize and optimize your device with a custom ROM software as all you have to know is being explained during the lines from above. Do share your experience with us by using the comments field from below.