Is there a new Android OS available for your LG G2? Or do you want to update your LG G2 with a custom ROM based on stock Android firmware? If so, then you are probably looking for a compatible step by step guide from where to learn how to easily and safely complete the update operation. In that case you are in the right place as by using the guidelines from below you can anytime learn how to apply an OTA release, how to manually flash an official Android software and how to safely install a custom ROM firmware on your LG G2.
Do note that each method mentioned above will use different procedures, so make sure to follow the update operation you need for completing your goal. Of course, flashing the OTA update is the easiest way in which you can update your LG G2, but as you know, OTA releases aren’t that popular. In that matter, you will have to manually install an official Android firmware if you want to fix your bricked LG G2, or if you want to restore the stock OS on your device, or you will have to flash a custom ROM, such as CM11, AOKP or ParanoidAndroid, if you will want to customize and optimize your Android smartphone.
Updating with official or stock Android OS implies in using official procedures, so you will not lose the warranty of your phone by completing these operations. Furthermore, the methods explained in this guide are compatible with both rooted and locked LG G2, so you have nothing to worry about. Moreover, if your phone has been previously rooted, now the root access will be revoked since the stock Android firmware will be installed – also the warranty will be restored (usually you lose the warranty when performing unofficial operations).
Unfortunately, the aspects described above aren’t applying when talking about custom ROMs. A custom ROM can be updated only on rooted LG G2. Also, on your handset CWM recovery, or any other custom recovery image must be installed. Furthermore, by flashing a custom firmware you will be performing an unofficial procedure thus the warranty will get void. Updating with an unofficial version of Android OS represents a risky and complex operation, so try not to mess things up – just follow the proper tutorial from below and everything will be just fine.
Now if you are thinking in manually updating your LG G2, then the best will be to backup your data before going any further. For example, when installing a custom ROM a wipe is being required, in which case you will lose everything that’s saved on the internal storage memory of your phone. Because of that, make a backup and save everything you might need afterwards – also if possible make a Nandroid backup for saving your current ROM before flashing a custom one.
Moreover, when manually updating the LG G2 a computer will be required. At the same time, your phone and its USB cable should be near you as a connection between your devices will have to be established. On the other hand, on the same computer you should deactivate the security protection – only temporarily, or else the security programs might interfere with the update process. On your LG G2 USB debugging option must be enabled (from path menu –settings – developer options) while the battery should be charged especially if the power left is less than 60% – just plug in the charger before starting the update operation.
This tutorial is compatible only with LG G2 and should be used only for updating your Android smartphone. Don’t use the steps from below if you own a similar or different device as you can end up in bricking your smartphone or tablet.
How to Update LG G2
Update using OTA release
- The OTA firmware can be easily flashed.
- But before applying the update make sure you are using a WiFi connection.
- Take your phone and tap on menu.
- Then go to settings and choose about phone.
- Hit software updates and just check for a new notification.
- Download the firmware and wait white the software is being automatically flashed.
- Your LG G2 will reboot into new Android OS.
Manually update with official Android OS
- In order to manually update your LG G2 with Android OS you need to download the proper firmware file on your computer.
- Do note that each version of LG G2 can be updated only with a compatible firmware.
- Now, the update procedure will imply in using a dedicated tool that can work only for LG branded devices.
- You can learn how to flash stock Android OS on your phone by using this step by step guide.
Update LG G2 with Custom ROMs
- First of all install CWM recovery or any other recovery image on your device.
- Then, of course download the custom ROM on your computer.
- Optional: download Google apps package if the same is not included on the update file.
- Don’t unzip these files; connect your LG G2 with your computer via USB cable.
- Take the downloaded files and place the same on your phone; unplug the USB cord.
- Enter LG G2 into recovery mode.
- From recovery mode menu fir wipe the data and clear cache.
- Thus select “wipe data factory reset”; then choose “wipe cache partition”.
- Select “advance” and pick “wipe dalvick cache”.
- Then return to main menu of recovery by selecting “+++go back+++”.
- Up next select “install zip from SD card” followed by “choose zip from SD card”.
- Pick the update file and flash the custom ROM.
- Do the same and install the Google Apps package.
- In the end select “reboot system now” and you are done.
Congratulations; you have managed to update your LG G2. The steps from above represent the easiest way in which you can safely update your Android smartphone. If you had problems while performing this tutorial, don’t hesitate and share your experience with us by using the comments area from below. Also, talk with our team and with other users who might want to use this step by step guide as a second opinion is always more than welcomed.