Update LG Optimus 2X P990 to Domination CM9 Android 4.0.4 ICS custom ROM
Domination is a custom ROM based on CyanogenMod 9 and it was compiled by an XDA member. In this article you will find instructions on how to successfully flash this custom ROM. Continue reading this post if you’re an advanced Android users and you know your way around custom LG recovery image. Make sure to read the entire post and use the comments field to ask for help in case you cannot complete the tutorial.
Domination is based mostly on CM9, but it has some functions from AOKP also and you should find features from both developing teams of Android OS. This new custom ROM brings multiple new features, functions and a tablet mode for your Optimus 2X device. Tablet mode can be enabled by restarting the phone and selecting its option. Also, it packs a hot reboot option that allows your phone to restart with up to 70% faster then it would be doing with a normal restart process.
There were some bugs found in this ROM and it would be better if you’re an advanced Android user who wishes only to test this custom CM9 firmware. Also, before installing it you should create a full backup file of the currently Android OS that runs on your Optimus 2X phone. Before we can move to the tutorial guide, you should read the preparation guide and learn how to properly prepare your device so that you will manage to flash the Domination Android 4.0.x ICS based on CM9 ROM. Read the guidelines below and only afterwards you are free to move to the ‘how-to’ guide:
- Domination ICS CM9 custom ROM can be installed only on LG Optimus 2X P990 smartphones. Do not attempt to flash Domination O2X on any other Android device.
- In the how-to guide you’ll find a step that tells you to wipe all smartphone data and this means that your important files such as videos, audio, photos, bookmarks etc should be transferred to your phone’s internal / external sd card. The internal sd card and the external sd card won’t be changed during the update and your files will be safe against removal. Alternatively, you can move the files on your computer via USB connection cable.
- Create a full backup of your currently installed ROM using ROM manager, CWM Recovery, ROM Toolbox Lite. This backup will prove to be helpful in case you don’t like the Domination CM9 custom ROM.
- If you wish to back the installed applications, SMS text messages, Call Logs info and the APN Settings values then you should use their corresponding applications. Download the app you wish to use by clicking its corresponding name: AppBAK for Android apps backups | SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Backup & Restore.
- Sync all phone contacts with your Gmail account. If you don’t know how to do it then you should use this guide here.
- Charge the LG Optimus 2X battery until it reaches at least 70% power levels.
- Enable USB debugging mode.
- This tutorial will work only on Optimus 2X devices that have already been rooted and running custom recovery.
Now that you know all of the above, then you’re free to move to the tutorial guide and remember that neither we nor the developers are responsible for any errors that your device might develop during or after the custom ROM installation. Read all the steps I’ve listed in the guide and make sure to post all extra questions in the comments field.
How to update LG Optimus 2X P990 to Domination ICS Android 4.0.4 ROM:
- Download the Domination O2X ROM zip from here.
- Download Gapps package from here. After you’ve download the latest Gapps package you have to return to this post and continue with the ROM installation.
- Connect your phone to your computer. Move the files downloaded at steps 1 and 2 on your device’s internal / external sdcard.
- Disconnect the device from your PC and then power it OFF.
- Enter custom recovery.
- Select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ and confirm this action.
- Now you need to select ‘install zip from sdcard’ and then ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the ROM zip file and install it.
- Next, flash Gapps zip in the same way you did with the ROM package at the previous step.
- After you’ve flashed these two files, you should return to the main recovery menu and select ‘reboot system now’.
- Wait for the first boot process to complete and that will be all. Now your phone is running the CM9 based Domination ICS ROM.
In case your phone gets stuck at first boot then you might not have installed the ROM correctly and you need to repeat the entire process again from the beginning. The second time make sure that you respect all the steps listed above and if you still cannot flash the ROM then you should ask for our help by leaving a comment at the end of this article.
I hope that eventually you’ve managed to update your LG Optimus 2X to Domination Android 4.0.4 ICS ROM. Start customizing and installing your favorite apps. Also, restore your files and applications by using the same tools listed in the preparation guide. Also, if you don’t like this custom ROM, then you can try and install Nova HD ROM using this guide here or, you can restore the full backup of the original ROM you had installed prior to Domination unofficial CM9 ROM installation.