Update LG Optimus 2X P990 to Nova HD Android 4.0.4 ICS CM9 ROM
Nova HD is a custom ROM firmware based on Android 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich unofficial build of CyanogenMod 9 and now you can install it on your LG Optimus 2X P990. It was created by Owain and in this article you will find all the instructions you need to correctly install it on your smartphone.
Nova HD ICS ROM for Optimus 2X smartphones is easy to install and it features very few bugs with none of them being major which means that you shouldn’t experience problems while using it. Nova GD is currently a release candidate ROM firmware for your Optimus 2X and it is based on CM9 Android 4.0.4 ICS. By installing it you will improve the overall performance of your phone. It uses a very smooth UI and the developer says that this custom ROM will prolong the battery life. During the installation you will be able to customize multiple settings and you can choose extra features to install.
The NOVA HD unofficial CM9 ROM will install a brand new boot animation and battery mod. Also, there will be Holo-Dark applications with ICS theme. There are multiple other ICS features and apps, while all LG bloatware has been removed as you won’t be needing those apps and services anymore. You will learn more about this firwmare after you install it.
Before we can start to upgrade the ROM you should learn how to properly prepare your device and make it ready for the new firmware installation. Make sure to read the entire the guidelines below and if you can’t understand any of it then please feel free to ask for help in the comments section. Here’s what you need to do before install Nova HD P990 on your LG Optimus 2X P990 device:
- audios, video, photos, text documents, pdf files, bookmarks, ebooks and all other important files that you do not want to lose during the update should be placed on your phone’s internal sdcard, or you can simply use the USB cable and move all your important files / folder on your computer. One these actions is required as you will need to wipe data and factory reset the 2X P990 device.
- installed applications, call logs and all your sms text messages can easily be saved using these Android programs: AppBak for saving and restoring Android apps | SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore. Click the name of the things you wish to backup and apply the instructions listed in those guides, and after that return to this post.
- Phone Contacts can easily be synced with your Gmail account and so you won’t lose the stored phone numbers. Here’s a guide to help you with that.
- APN and MMS Settings need to be saved and this guide here will help you do just that. After the custom ROM is successfully flashed the APN values might be messed up preventing you from being able to connect to the internet, and that’s when you will want a program that is capable of restoring the APN settings without the need of searching the Google for a competent tutorial.
- enable USB Debugging and make sure to fully charge the LG Optimus 2X P990 battery, so that it won’t discharge while installing the new ROM.
- You should install NOVA HD custom ROM only on rooted LG Optimus 2X smartphones and a custom recovery software should also be installed.
- The ROM firmware that is currently installed on your phone should be backed up with CWM Recovery, ROM manager or with any other similar tool from Google Play Store. This action is recommended so that in case you don’t like the Nova HD ROM then you will easily be able to restore the previous one.
That was all the extra info you had to read and take into consideration before starting to install the new custom firmware on your phone. Remember that neither we nor the developers of Nova HD RC custom ROM can be held responsible for any errors your device might present after the update.
You should install it only if you’re an advanced user and you know you’re way around recovery menus and ROM flashing. Make sure to read the entire tutorial guide and if you cannot complete any of the steps below then you should ask for our help. Now, since you’re read all the general info in this post, it means that you’re ready to move to the tutorial guide.
How to update LG Optimus 2X P990 to Nova HD ICS Android 4.0.4 custom unofficial CM9 ROM:
- Download the Nova HD ICS for P990 ROM zip file.
- Save it on your computer’s desktop and connect the phone to your PC.
- Move the ROM zip package on your phone’s internal sdcard and after that disconnect the phone and switch it OFF completely.
- Boot your device into CWM Recovery and move to the next step.
- When in recovery mode, you will first need to select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ and confirm the wipe process. All your data in the phone will be deleted, while the internal and / or external sdcard will remain unchanged. After the wipe is complete move to the next step.
- Now, select ‘install zip from sdcard’ and then ‘choose zip from sdcard’ or if this doesn’t work, then select ‘choose zip from sdcard’.
- Point the recovery selection line to the Nova HD ROM zip file, the one you moved on your phone’s internal sdcard at step 3.
- Confirm the Nova HD ROM installation. When done you can move to the tutorial guide.
- After the ROM flash is complete you should get back to the main recovery menu. Select ‘reboot system now’ and wait for the first boot to complete. Configure your Google Account and then you’re done, you’re free to customize your launcher and other functions of your new Android 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich custom ROM installation.
Note: Nova HD first boot might take between 10 to 15 minutes to complete and you shouldn’t power off the device nor to press any other buttons.
However, If the first boot takes way to long to complete then it means that your device has been bricked and you will have to remove its battery and then re-insert it. Now, repeat the entire tutorial guide and make sure to read the preparation guide once again. Also, make sure that you complete the instructions listed at step 5 and now your phone will install the Nova HD ICS custom ROM successfully.
If you have any other questions then please feel free to post them in comments. Also, if you wish to find multiple other LG or Android related guides then you should browse all our other web site sections as you might find other interesting stuff, which will help you improve your Android experience.
UPDATE: Nova HD download link has been updated to Android 4.0.4 ICS unofficial CM9 custom ROM.