Update LG Optimus 2X P990 to Unofficial CM 10.1 Android 4.2.1 custom ROM
Raum1807, an XDA developer, released a custom ROM that is based on the CM10.1 ROM and now you can use his files to upgrade your LG Optimus 2X P990 successfully. This is not an official Android 4.2.1 nor an CM 10.1 Nightly build, but a simple ROM that is based on the CyanogenMod team’s ROM. In this article you will find all the correct instructions to flash the new Android OS for the LG device.
This is a custom ROM that is in its experimental phase and some functions of CM 10.1 / Android 4.2.1 aren’t currently working with this new ROM. Installing this new ROM is easy and you can do it by simply using a few instructions listed in the tutorial guide. However, note that this is a guide for users who wish to test this CM10.1 custom build and it would be better to install it on a secondary device.
There are bugs included with the following things: flight mode, IME, translations and multiple others. The working functions of this ROM are the USB mass-storage, bluetooth, audio.h has been patches and the notification lights. Now that you know all this general info, I think that you should move to the guidelines below and learn which steps you need to take to be sure that you flash the update at your first attempt.
Here’s what you need to know:
- Use this tutorial only with the LG Optimus 2X P990 smartphone. Do not use this tutorial with any other device as you will brick them.
- Your device should be on a rooted firmware and it should run CWM Recovery. Without these you cannot complete the ROM installation.
- Create a backup of the currently installed ROM. Also, you should create backups of SMS, Call Logs etc. Use the following tools to backup such apps: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore | AppBack for Android. Some of these tools will ask for root access.
- If you don’t want to lose any saved Contacts, you should sync them with your Gmail account.
- Remember to charge the phone’s battery so that it won’t power off during the installation.
- We cannot be held responsible in case you lose any data from your device.
- Note that by installing a new custom ROM, you will need to wipe data from the /system partition. You will find this step in the tutorial. That means that all data should be moved to your device’s internal / external sdcard.
- If you have problems completing the installation of this new ROM, use the comments section to ask for extra help.
I think that these are all the guidelines you had to read and now you should get to the ‘how-to’ guide. Make sure that you don’t skip any instructions that I have listed in the tutorial as that will result in a failed ROM install attempt.
How to update LG Optimus 2X P990 to unofficial CM10.1 ROM based on Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean AOSP:
- Download the custom ROM zip from HERE. Place the file on your PC desktop and don’t extract its contents.
- Download the Gapps for Jelly Bean 4.2.1 and CM10.1 from HERE. Don’t download any older version as that won’t work with this new ROM.
- Connect your Optimus 2X to your PC using the USB cable. Now move both zip files to its internal SDcard. Unplug phone from PC when the transfer is complete.
- Power off your smartphone now and after 5 seconds you should boot it into CWM Recovery. Do it by pressing the ‘Volume down’ and ‘Power’ buttons at the same time and, release them when the ClockworkMod Recovery menu loads.
- Now that you’re in recovery, select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ option and confirm this step.
- Next, return to the main recovery screen and select ‘install zip from sdcard’. Then, select the option that says ‘choose zip from sdcard’.
- Find the Unofficial CM10.1 zip file and select it for installation. Confirm this process and when you’re done get to the next step.
- Select again ‘choose zip from sdcard’ and this time you should flash the ‘Gapps’ file. It will install the Google application that your device requires in order for you to benefit from the best Android 4.2.1 / CM10.1 experience.
- After both files have been installed you have to get back to the main recovery screen. Now select ‘reboot system now’.
- Wait until the first boot process with the Jelly Bean OS completes and then you should be welcomed by a homescreen.
- Enter your Google Account and take control over your device.
I think that these are all the instructions that you had to follow and now you should begin testing the new ROM. Tell us in comments which are the best features of this Unofficial CM 10.1 ROM.
If you did not manage to flash the update from your first attempt, then you should power off the device, remove its battery and then re-insert it after 5 minutes and repeat the entire tutorial once again. Such custom ROMs might not install correctly the first time you try it and that’s why you should keep trying until the update is complete.
NOTE: In case the ROM doesn’t boot, then you will have to repeat the entire tutorial and after you apply step 5 you should also select ‘Mounts and storage’ option. After that you have to select ‘format system’ option and confirm. Then you have to return to step 6 and continue the installation from there.
NOTE2: If you don’t like this new update, then you should use CWM Recovery, or the application you used to create the NANDROID backup of the previous ROM, and restore your phone to the working OS.
Restore all your data and install all your favorite applications. Remember that your device’s battery life autonomy is much shorter when using a ROM based on Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean, and that’s why you should use this new CM10.1 custom ROM on a secondary device of yours.