As you know, due to hardware limitations, the LG Optimus Black will not receive the official Jelly Bean update; but if you still want to install the latest version of Android OS on your device, you can do so by flashing a custom ROM firmware. Such a software is the JellyBeer ROM which is being based on the Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean thanks to the CM10.1 system that comes preinstalled. So, during the present step by step guide I will teach you how to update your Optimus Black to JB 4.2.2 by installing the new JellyBeer custom ROM.
First of all, it should be clear for you that the JellyBeer software is not an official update provided by LG or Google for your Optimus Black. The ROM has been developed by those of xda-developers, so we have them to thanks for this tutorial. Furthermore, the firmware is a free aftermarket distribution of the Jelly Bean 4.2.2 OS, meaning that now you can easily upgrade your phone to the latest flavor of Android.
As already mentioned during the introduction, the JellyBeer ROM is based on the CM10.1 platform so all the CM features, apps and capabilities will be installed on your Optimus Black. That’s why, by updating your handset with this Android 4.2.2 based firmware you will be able to power up the performances of your device, not to mention that you will also improve the battery life, gain more speed, customize the looks, optimize the internal system, access the OS and in built programs and a lot more. Actually, your smartphone will become your new playground.
Be aware though as this variant of JellyBeer is not yet official which means that there are still some minor bugs and issues include in the Jelly Bean 4.2.2 system. According to those who had already installed the ROM on their LG Optimus Black, the common CM10.1 bugs hasn’t been yet resolved and there are other things that aren’t working perfectly; anyway, you can safely flash the software for a daily use because the problems are not relevant and the same will soon be resolved by the devs.
If you have decided to flash the software on your smartphone, then before heading to the proper steps from below, take your time and apply the pre requisites. During the lines from below you will find important info related to the update operation and you will also learn how to prepare your device for the installation procedure.
- You need to have a rooted Optimus Black because a custom ROM can be applied only on unchained systems.
- By rooting the warranty will get void, so be careful and try not to mess things up.
- In case you have to restore the warranty, here is what you will have to do: downgrade to stock ICS OS, apply an un-root procedure or update with another official version of the Android OS; of course then the root access will be revoked.
- For being able to update the Optimus Black to custom Jelly Bean 4.2.2 JellyBeer ROM you will have to use a custom recovery image, like CWM recovery; so restore the stock recovery with CWM recovery before going any further.
- Backup the data which is being saved on the internal storage memory of your device (the info saved on the SD card will not be affected). A wipe of the system will be required so you will lose all of your personal info, saves and data. Therefore, it is more than recommended to apply a full backup.
- After rooting and installing a custom recovery image, make a Nandroid backup too; you can save the current ROM and if you will not like the CM10.1 based JellyBeer OS, then you will be able to safely restore the current firmware on your LG Black.
- Now, a computer is being required; on the same (and on your handset) deactivate or uninstall the antivirus, Firewall and any other security tools because these programs might interfere (or worst interrupt) with the update operation.
- Your device must have enough battery life, or else it might get turned off while you will be concerned in installing the Android 4.2.2 custom ROM. Tip: plug in the charger if you notice that there is less than 60% power left.
- Enable the USB debugging option on your phone or else you will not be able to properly connect the Optimus Black with the computer.
- Be aware as this tutorial has been developed to work only with the mentioned smartphone. Don’t use the present step by step guide for updating a similar or different handset because you can end up in bricking your Android powered device.
How to Update LG Optimus Black with Android 4.2.2 CM10.1 based JellyBeer Custom ROM Firmware
- Download the update file on your computer by following the link from here.
- Also, download the Google Apps package from here because the same is not included in the update package.
- Connect your device with the PC by plugging in the USB cord.
- Select the downloaded files and copy paste (or just drag and drop) them from the PC to your phone’s SD card.
- Disconnect the Optimus Black from the computer.
- Turn your handset off.
- Reboot it into recovery mode (from there we will flash the firmware file and the Google Apps package).
- From recovery first of all wipe the system by selecting “wipe data factory reset”, “wipe cache partition” and “wipe dalvik cache”.
- Then return to the main menu of recovery.
- From there this time select “install zip from sd card” followed by “choose zip from sd card”.
- Pick the update file and install it on your phone.
- Then do the same and install the Google Apps package.
- In the end, select “+++go back+++” followed by “reboot system now” and you are done.
- If your Optimus Black will get stuck in a boot loop then it is recommended to reboot into recovery once more; from there select “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition”; then reboot into Android and that’s it.
So, that was all for now. Your LG Optimus Black has been updated to Android 4.2.2 via CM10.1 based JellyBeer custom ROM firmware. Stay close to us as we will bring more Android related guides, tricks and tips. Don’t forget to subscribe to us for receiving our daily posts. Also, feel free to share your thoughts and impressions with us by using the comments area from below.