Update LG Optimus G to Jelly Bean 4.2.2 with Avatar Custom ROM
While almost all the high end Android based handsets are receiving the latest version of the Jelly Bean OS, the JB 4.2.2 firmware, it seems that LG had left aside its Optimus G as the Android 4.2.2 OTA update is nowhere to find. But, fortunately for the LG Optimus G users, the Avatar custom ROM has been release, so now we will be checking on how to install the new JB 4.2.2 based software on the mentioned phablet.
So, you can learn how to manually flash a custom update on your Optimus G; therefore, be aware as the present firmware is not an OTA Jelly Bean 4.2.2 OS release by LG or by Google for your smartphone. Actually, you will flash an unofficial port of the Android system meaning that this operation has nothing to do with the mentioned companies. In fact, the Avatar custom ROM has been developed and now offered by those of xda-developers so we have them to thanks for this tutorial.
Because of the mentioned aspects, you should know that this guide is complex and risky; if something bad happens while you are trying to update your Optimus G with the Avatar Jelly Bean 4.2.2 firmware, then you will be by yourselves – we shouldn’t be held responsible for the issues that might occur. Anyway, don’t worry as if you will read and apply all my indications, then everything will be fine. Now, during the following lines we will be checking how to prepare your handset for the flashing operation that will follow, so do ensure that you are performing the pre requisites list of tasks.
- The first thing to know is related to the warranty: well, the warranty will get void as you will have to complete some unofficial operations in order to prepare your phablet for the update procedure.
- Don’t panic, as the warranty can be restore; you just have to downgrade to stock Android OS.
- So, start to prepare your handset by completing a root operation; the Android 4.2.2 based Avatar custom ROM can be installed only on a rooted LG Optimus G.
- Then, only after gaining root access, install CWM recovery, or any other custom recovery image, on your phablet. Unfortunately, the stock recovery that comes pre-installed on your Optimus G can’t be used when dealing with custom softwares.
- Backup the data that is saved on your phone’s internal storage memory because a wipe will be required.
- Backup the text messages, call logs, EFS, market apps, contacts list, calendar info, personal saves and account along with anything else you might need.
- Do note that you can use the new recovery tool for applying a Nandroid backup – in this way you can save the current Android OS, and restore the same if the Avatar firmware isn’t on your taste.
- This is a manual update method, so a computer or notebook along with your smartphone and with its USB cable will be required.
- In order to avoid the unpleasant situations, first of all on both computer and handset deactivate the security protection. The antivirus and antimalware programs might interfere with the flashing operation and we don’t want that to happen.
- Then, it is recommended to check the battery status of your device: if there is less than 60% power left it will be a good idea to plug in the charger before going any further.
- Also, remember to enable the USB debugging option from your phone before starting to apply the Avatar ROM, or else you won’t be able to properly connect your Optimus G with the computer.
- And finally, do remember that this step by step guide is compatible only with the mentioned phablet; don’t use the steps from below for installing the JB 4.2.2 powered Avatar software on a different or similar Android based device.
How to Update LG Optimus G to Jelly Bean 4.2.2 with Avatar Custom ROM Firmware
- Download the Avatar ROM from here.
- Also, download Google Apps – by using the link from here – as the package is not included in the update file.
- Save the files on your computer first; don’t unzip the downloaded files.
- Then, connect your phone with the PC; use the USB cable for establishing the connection.
- Transfer the downloaded files from the computer to your phone’s SD card – coy paste or drag and drop the update file and the Google Apps package.
- Disconnect the devices; the computer is no longer required.
- Turn off your phablet.
- Reboot by pressing the Volume Down button two times before pressing on the Power button.
- In this way you will be able to boot into recovery mode.
- From recovery select “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition”.
- Return to main menu and choose “install zip from sd card” and “choose zip from sd card”.
- Pick the update file and apply the same.
- When the installation procedure is over, repeat the step and flash the Google Apps package.
- In the end, return to recovery menu and select “reboot system now”.
- If your Optimus G will get stuck in a boot loop, reboot into recovery and wipe the system once more (just as showed above); then reboot into Avatar ROM.
- Also, you can use the recovery menu for restoring the previous Android OS – if you have previously made a Nandroid backup.
Good job; the tutorial has been successfully completed which means that now your LG Optimus G is being powered by the Avatar custom ROM firmware. So, a custom version of the Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean OS is running on your device; just test the same in order to see how the software works on your handset and then share your impressions and thoughts with us and with other users as well.