The Android 4.1 Jelly Bean update is not available only for the high end smartphones out there, several low budget ones being ready to receive the long awaited firmware. So, that’s why today, we will be checking in how to update the LG Optimus GT 540 handset to Jelly Bean OS by learning how to install the preview version of CyanogenMod 10 custom ROM firmware into its system. Furthermore, by completing this step by step guide you will be able to power up the performances of your phone by adding some important features and capabilities, so don’t hesitate and perform the same.
The CM 10 software is being based on the Android 4.1 platform meaning that the ROM is coming with all the features (and with many other enhancements) appreciated by the Android users. Also, you will be able to increase the speeds and the battery life, customize the system and optimize the RAM memory. And this can be extremely handy especially if we consider that the LG Optimus GT 540 is having low end specs and features. The phone was released for the first time in June, 2010 therefore its performances are a little bit outdated.
This version of CM 10 which is suitable for your GT 540 was developed and tested by those of xda-developers, so we have them to thanks for this tutorial. It’s good to see that even devices that aren’t so popular can receive the Android 4.1 update. Take note though that the present firmware isn’t coming from LG and it is unlikely to see an official upgrade released by the same in the future. The only way for updating your smartphone will be by completing the next steps, so let’s get started.
First, you need to ensure that your phone is rooted and with a custom recovery image installed in its system. Else, you should first gain root access over your LG Optimus GT 540 and only after that return here and resume the following lines. The custom recovery image will be used for flashing the update file from the SD card, so it’s vital to get the same. Without performing these operations you will not be able to install the CyanogenMod 10 custom ROM firmware on your device. Be aware though as by rooting the warranty will be void. If somehow you manage to brick your smartphone, then you will be by yourselves. Be careful in what you do and try not to mess things up. The warranty can be restored by downgrading to the stock ROM or by applying an official software released by LG and suitable for your Optimus GT 540 device.
Furthermore, before completing the steps from this tutorial you should backup the data. Your personal info which is stored on the internal storage memory of your phone will be corrupted not to mention that you must make a full wipe of the system for being able to flash the CM 10 ROM. Also, beside the backup you must take care of the pre requisites, which must be done for ensuring that your LG Optimus GT540 is in safe hands. You have a few backup tips and the preparations steps in the list below, so check and perform the same.
- Root and install a custom recovery image.
- Then, by using the recovery image, backup the current ROM.
- Also, download SMS backup and restore apps for saving the text messages.
- Do the same and backup the call logs.
- The contacts list can be saved by learning how to sync with Google and use the Android cloud.
- Use a computer or an SD card for backing up other files from your phone.
- As soon as you finish the backup, make sure that you have access to a Windows running computer with Internet connection enabled, to your handset and to its USB cord.
- On both, computer and phone, deactivate the security tools like antivirus or Firewall protection.
- On the handset enable the USB debugging option: “Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging”.
- Charge the battery, or ensure that your smartphone is having at least 70% power left for the steps from below.
As soon as the pre requisites are completed, you can start the proper tutorial. Make sure that you are applying this procedure only for the LG Optimus GT540 and not for similar Android powered devices because you can easily brick them. Also, don’t perform steps by yourselves, always follow my directions.
How to Update LG Optimus GT 540 to Jelly Bean 4.1 with CM 10 Custom ROM
- First of all, you must download the CM 10 file and save it to your computer.
- The download link is here.
- Then, you must use the USB cord and your phone for connecting the device with the PC.
- Copy and then paste the downloaded file from the computer to your phone’s SD card.
- Remove the USB cable for disconnecting the handset.
- Reboot the device (turn it off and the reboot).
- While rebooting, enter in recovery mode: press and hold Volume Down and Home Button while powering on.
- First, from recovery mode menu, go and make a full wipe.
- For the wipe choose “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition”.
- Then, select “+++go back+++”.
- You should be back on the recovery menu.
- From there, select “install zip from sd card” and “choose zip from sd card”.
- Pick the CM 10 file and click “ok”.
- Wait and don’t press anything.
- When the process ends, choose “+++go back+++” followed by “reboot system now”.
The installation procedure is now over, meaning that you can now use the Android 4.1 firmware on your own smartphone. That was the how to method in which you could learn how to update the LG Optimus GT 540 to Jelly Bean 4.1 with CM 10 Custom ROM, so if you had experienced any kind of issue while completing one of the steps, share the problems with us so we can help you through. Also test the software and see if there are bugs in the system; do tell us how the ROM works.