The LG Stylo 2 Plus can be now updated to Android 8.1 Oreo. No, unfortunately, we’re not talking about a new OTA as, apparently, LG already stopped the official support for this device. However, thanks to a new unofficial port of the Oreo system you can now successfully update your smartphone to the latest Android build. And, in that respect, during the following guidelines we will learn how to install the new release of Lineage OS 15.1 on the LG Stylo 2 Plus.
So, Lineage OS 15.1 for LG Stylo 2 Plus is bringing the Android 8.1 Oreo firmware. This is therefore an unofficial way in which you can update your device as you are going to use a free aftermarket distribution of the stock Oreo software that is developed and offered by third party devs. Thus, your OEM cannot be associated with this firmware – moreover, if you choose to apply the steps explained below you are going to lose your phone’s warranty (the warranty can be restored if you reinstall the stock Android software).
Anyway, the Lineage OS 15.1 comes with a new and improved Oreo functionality and with features, apps, capabilities that cannot be found on the stock Android OS. Furthermore, with this software installed your LG Stylo 2 Plus will run better and faster than it used to. You will be able to apply tweaks and optimizations for personalizing the Android UI, for bumping speeds, upgrading battery life and improving general performance. Overall, this Android 8.1 Oreo based ROM is stable and light so everything will smoothly run on your LG Stylo 2 Plus.
And, you can choose to test this custom ROM package without risking anything – in that respect you should first complete a Nandroid backup. The Nandroid backup process will help you save the current Android OS that runs on your phone. Therefore, if you won’t like how the new Lineage OS runs on your LG Stylo 2 Plus you will be able to flash the Nandroid backup package for going back to stock Android OS.
Now, you can install this Android 8.1 Oreo update only in certain conditions, which are being listed below:
- Your LG Stylo 2 Plus must be rooted – that’s required because an unofficial update can replace the stock OS only if the internal system is unlocked.
- On your phone a custom recovery image must be installed – the custom ROM package, which is offered in form of a .zip file, can be flashed only through a custom environment.
- Note: in order to make things work without experiencing any unpleasant situations I recommend you to use the TWRP recovery platform.
As it’s explained during the flashing process from below, a wipe will have to be initiated on your LG Stylo 2 Plus – otherwise, the Lineage OS 15.1 software won’t run properly. Well, because of that, at this point you should choose to secure your personal data, info, accounts and other files that might be required afterwards – such as images, videos, audio files, internet settings, call logs, texts, contacts, market apps, EFS folder or IMEI / NVRAM data. The actual backup process can be applied easily and quickly if you choose the most common backup and restore solutions: syncing certain files with your personal Google account, using built-in cloud storage platforms, or downloading dedicated cloud storage services available on Google Play.
At this point you are almost ready to start the flashing steps from below. But, before doing so, you still have to review the general pre-requisites:
- A computer, a notebook or a similar device will be used during the update operation – you need to download the required files on such device.
- A connection between your smartphone and your computer will have to be established, so your phone’s USB cord should be near you too.
- On your computer, if you cannot download the files, choose to temporarily deactivate the security protection – don’t worry, you won’t end up in experiencing security breaches.
- On your LG Stylo 2 Plus you have to enable Developer Options. This operation can be done easily: on your handset navigate to About Phone and tap repeatedly on the Built Number entry; keep tapping until the ‘you are a developer’ message is returned.
- Afterwards, from Menu – > Settings – > Developer Options click / check the USB Debugging feature – otherwise you might not be able to properly connect your smartphone with your computer during the Lineage OS 15.1 flashing process.
- Before starting the Android 8.1 Oreo update operation verify the power that’s left on your smartphone – if a minimum of 50% power isn’t ensured, plug in the charger (otherwise you can end up in soft bricking your phone).
- Make sure you follow this step by step guide only if you own the LG Stylo 2 Plus. The update package discussed during these lines is compatible only with this particular Android based handset.
How to Update LG Stylo 2 Plus to Android 8.1 Oreo via Lineage OS 15.1
- Start by downloading the files which will be later used – from here (we must thank those of xda-developers for this update file) you can download the Lineage OS 15.1 firmware package that’s available for your LG Stylo 2 Plus and from here you can download compatible Google apps.
- Note: Google apps must be flashed separately because it is not included in the Android 8.1 Oreo update file.
- Save the downloaded files on desktop if that’s possible.
- Switch off your smartphone and wait while the power off is completed.
- Enter recovery mode on your Android device and from recovery choose to initiate a hard reset and to clear app data cache – just pick ‘wipe data factory reset’ followed by ‘wipe cache partition’ and by ‘wipe dalvik cache’.
- Reboot to Android mode when the wipe is done and connect your LG Stylo 2 Plus with your computer – plug in the USB cord in that respect.
- From your computer transfer the downloaded files and place them on your phone.
- Unplug the USB cord when that’s done because the computer is no longer needed.
- Reboot recovery mode again. If TWRP recovery is used tap on Install and load the Android 8.1 Oreo update package; if another custom recovery platform is used you will have to pick ‘install zip from SD card’ followed by ‘choose zip from SD card’.
- Afterwards, don’t forget to flash Google Apps too.
- In the end, navigate to main menu of recovery and select ‘reboot system now’.
Good job. Your LG Stylo 2 Plus was successfully updated to Android 8.1 Oreo firmware. At this point you can start using the new Lineage OS 15.1 firmware so test everything that’s new – do share your experience with us and with our readers by filling out the comments form available below. Also, stay close for further update opportunities available for your LG Stylo 2 Plus.