A new official Android 4.4.2 KitKat firmware is now live for the the Samsung Galaxy S4 LTE I9505, so you should use this guide in order to learn how to successfully flash the new firmware manually.
This XXUGNG8 build of Android 4.4.2 is not very different from the XXUGNE5 Android 4.4.2 firmware version, but it has a build date much more recent than all the other firmwares currently available for the Galaxy S4 LTE smartphone. Check the guidelines below before starting the installation process of this new update:
- use this tutorial only with the Samsung Galaxy S4 LTE I9505 device.
– do not try to update any other devices with the files that you will find in this post.
– check the model number of your phone under Settings> About Device, make sure that the I9505 version is listed.
- flash the Samsung USB Drivers for your PC from here.
– Odin3 v3.09 is the app that that you will use in order to push the new firmware update files to your smartphone.
– without the USB Drivers installed your phone cannot connect to your PC and you can’t update it manually.
- make sure to enable the USB Debugging from Developer Options menu.
– in case Developer Options doesn’t appear under Settings, then you will have to un-hide it; that’s a guide for Galaxy S5, but it works with all Android smartphones.
- disable the Samsung KIES and the antivirus apps from running on your computer.
– these applications will block ODIN from running on your PC.
- in case your phone is rooted, then you should know that the installation of this new ROM will revoke root access.
– also, note that any custom Recovery that you might have installed on your device will be replaced with a Stock Recovery.
- if your Galaxy S4 LTE is running a custom ROM you need to know that the manual update will wipe the system memory and you will also be forced to apply a ‘factory reset’ after the installation is complete.
– this process will not remove any data from internal nor external storage.
– if you want to save some data from installed apps, SMS text messages or any other type of files then you can try to use Helium for Android.
– data from Contacts and People details can be saved with your Gmail account.
- this is a tutorial that should be used only by more advanced Android users, do not blame us in case you brick the phone nor in case you end up losing any data in the process.
- check the Galaxy S4 LTE battery charge and make sure that it is over 40%, it will prevent the phone from switching off during installation.
- read the whole guide, do not skip any steps and you should complete the update in no time without bricking the device.
Since you’ve read all that, you can now continue to the next part of this post.
How to flash Android 4.4.2 XXUGNG8 for Galaxy S4 I9505 LTE:
- Download the I9505XXUGNG8 Android 4.4.2 ROM zip from here.
– make sure that you create an account with SamMobile as otherwise you cannot download the firmware from their server.
- After the ROM is downloaded you need to extract its contents.
– you will obtain a file with a tar.md5 extension and it should have the I9505XXUGNG8 text in it, don’t extract any further than that.
- Download the Odin3 v3.09 from here.
– extract the contents of the zip file and save all these files on your PC.
- Power off the phone now.
- Now, boot your Galaxy S4 LTE in Android Download Mode.
- Launch the Odin3 v3.09 exe on your computer.
- Connect your phone to your PC via USB Cable.
– now wait for ODIN to detect the device.
– if the phone is not recognized, then you should re-install the Samsung USB Drivers for your computer.
- Go to Odin’s main window and click on the ‘AP’ button.
- Load the I9505XXUGNG8 tar.md5 zip file in Odin.
– check and make sure that the ‘Re-Partition’ option is disabled.
– don’t edit other default Odin settings.
- Press the START button when you’re ready to begin the updating process of your smartphone.
– do not press any buttons until the update is complete.
- After the installation is complete you will see the phone rebooting and ODIN will confirm that all files have been installed by displaying the ‘PASS’ message.
– note that the first boot process takes a while to complete, so you shouldn’t press any buttons until the home screen is loaded by your device.
- Use your Google account / Samsung profile in order to take control over your device.
In case the update is unsuccessful you should take a look at the ‘notes’ below.
If the update has been completed with success and your Galaxy S4 LTE boots correctly, then you can close this guide and start testing all of the new Android 4.4.2 KitKat features and functions.
In case ODIN freezes, it displays the FAIL alert or it shows any other errors, then you should try to repeat the whole guide more than once. Make sure that you don’t skip any steps and that your phone meets all the requirements listed in the preparation info part of this guide.
In case ODIN confirms that the update was completed with success but the Galaxy S4 LTE is unable to boot in normal mode, then you will have to apply a ‘factory reset’. This process should also be applied by those that have installed the new Android 4.4.2 firmware over a custom ROM.
Here’s how to apply the ‘factory reset’: power off the phone and then boot it in Custom Recovery Mode, select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ and confirm. Reboot the device in normal mode.