Moto X Play was, and still is, a popular Android based device. It was first released in 2015 with Lollipop pre-loaded and it recently received the official Nougat support. However, its performance are good enough even for more, which basically means that you can successfully test Oreo software. Well, in that respect, you can choose to follow the guidelines from below; there I will show you how to install the latest build of Resurrection Remix (powered on Android 8.1Oreo) on your own Motorola Moto X Play.
This update opportunity is possible thanks to xda developer senior member Innfinite4evr. He is the one who managed to successfully boot the Resurrection Remix Oreo firmware on the Moto X Play as we are here only to detail the steps that must be followed and applied in order to successfully apply this new custom ROM on your device.
Resurrection Remix for Moto X Play is therefore bringing the latest Android 8.1 Oreo system in front of everything. The custom ROM is light and fast and will come with the latest Android functionality which should smoothly run on your smartphone. The firmware can be also tweaked in different ways thus you can choose what to change and what to optimize in order to receive the best results from your handset. Overall, with this new update installed your phone should run better and faster while you can benefit new and improved results thanks to an upgraded battery life.
Resurrection Remix for Moto X Play is still under development stage. So, this Android 8.1 Oreo firmware is not perfect – however it can be successfully used on a daily basis without problems. Shortly, from time to time you can experience minor issues such as hangs, or freezes. Now, for being sure that any kind of unpleasant situations are avoided you can choose to make a Nandroid backup first – this particular backup operation can help you secure the Android OS that already runs on your device, so if the new ROM will not run as expected you can use the Nandroid backup package for going back to stock.
As already outlined, a custom ROM is not an official firmware. Resurrection Remix isn’t therefore released by Motorola but by those of xda-developers. Therefore, this update cannot be associated with your OEM or with Google. Shortly, this is going to be an unofficial process and the warranty of your phone will get void once you start to apply the flashing operation that’s described below.
As you will observe, a wipe will be completed during the Resurrection Remix update operation – making a hard reset and clearing app data cache will prepare your Moto X Play for the new Android 8.1 Oreo software. Well, because of that we should now discuss about a backup – if you want to secure your personal files you need to backup everything that wasn’t there from day one. Don’t worry, the backup can be easily applied as you can choose from different solutions: you can sync files with your Google Account, you can use cloud storage platforms that are already running on your smartphone or you can go to Google Play and download already tested backup and restore tools.
Other pre-requisites must be considered before starting the Resurrection Remix update operation:
- Unlock the bootloader on your Motorola branded device – this will help you prepare the Android core system for the processes that will follow.
- Root your Moto X Play – only on a rooted Android firmware you can install custom ROMs, so if you want to test Android 8.1 Oreo OS first take care of this process.
- Install TWRP recovery on your phone – the custom ROM package is offered in form of a .zip file, which can be flashed only through a custom recovery environment.
- A computer, your smartphone and its USB cable are required for this update operation.
- On your phone you have to enable Developer Options – access About Phone on your device and from that field start tapping repeatedly on the Built Number entry; keep tapping on this feature until you are prompted with the ‘you are a developer’ message.
- On your handset check the USB Debugging field – tap on Menu and go to Settings; then access the recently enabled Developer Options field and from there tap on the USB Debugging checkbox.
- More than 50% power should be left on your Moto X Play; if different, plug in the charger before installing the Resurrection Remix custom ROM package.
- In case you skip the charging operation your device can get turned off during the Android 8.1 Oreo flashing procedure. And in case a sudden turn off is experienced you can end up in soft-bricking your Android based device.
- Apply the steps explained below only if you own the Motorola Moto X Play. The Resurrection Remix firmware file that’s offered below is compatible only with the already mentioned smartphone so try not to mess things up.
How to Update Moto X Play to Android 8.1 Oreo with Resurrection Remix custom ROM firmware
- Download the Resurrection Remix firmware file from this page. Do note that Google Apps aren’t included so you must flash it separately; in that respect, download Google Apps from here.
- Save these files on your computer first – you can place them on desktop as you will have to access them in a few moments.
- Then, switch off your smartphone and wait while the power off procedure is completed.
- Next, reboot recovery mode on your Moto X Play. From recovery initiate a full wipe by selecting ‘wipe data factory reset’ followed by ‘wipe cache partition’ and by ‘wipe dalvik cache’.
- Reboot to Android Mode when done.
- Connect your phone with your computer with the help of the USB cable.
- From desktop select the downloaded files and copy-paste these packages on your handset.
- When done, remove the USB cable as the computer is no longer required.
- On your Moto X Play access recovery mode again.
- From recovery tap on Install and load the Resurrection Remix custom ROM firmware. Swipe and start the Android 8.1 Oreo update process.
- Wait while it is completed; in the end repeat the step from above and install compatible Google Apps.
- In the end, navigate to main menu of recovery and pick ‘reboot system now’.
- That’s all.
Congratulations, you can now use the Android 8.1 Oreo firmware on your Motorola Moto X Play. Start testing the Resurrection Remix custom ROM platform and try to customize and optimize the overall Android experience. Share your results along with your observations with us and with the other users who are ready to follow the steps explained above – you can talk with us quickly through the comments field available below. Enjoy and stay close for more update opportunities available for your Motorola Moto X Play.