Update Motorola Atrix 4G to Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean with CyanogenMod ( CM ) 10 Preview ALPHA ROM
The Motorola Atrix 4G has been launched in 2011 with Android 2.2 Froyo and since then Google released several new Android OS such as Gingerbread and Ice Cream Sandwich. Recently, Google launched its latest Android called Jelly Bean and since it isn’t officially launched for the Atrix 4G you will need to use the software released by developers and get the Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean on your device.
Use the instructions in this article and you will learn how to successfully install Jelly Bean using the earliest preview of the popular CyanogenMod 10 ROM. This ROM release is currently under works and CyanogenMod Team should release a more stable release in the coming months. However, if you’re an Android enthusiast and you wish to test the CM10 and Jelly Bean then you should use all the info I’ve listed in this post.
The Jelly Bean 4.1.1 has been launched several weeks ago and now CyanogenMod Team is expected to release their upcoming 10th installment for numerous devices. However, for the moment there is only a preview build of CM10 and you can install it by using the tutorial guide I’ve listed in this article. Make sure to read all info under the preparation guide and to take into consideration all the info I’ve listed. This release of CM10 preview build has been created by ‘jokersax11′ and he is an XDA recognized developer.
This new ROM based on Jelly Bean will bring new functions and features for your phone, as well as the Google Now and the advanced voice recognition and a better keyboard. Now that you know all this general info, you should move to the pre-requisites guide and correctly configure your Atrix 4G smartphone so that you’ll manage to flash the Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean CM10 preview ROM successfully without risking any data loss and damaged applications. Here’s what you need to know and what actions to take:
- This tutorial will work only with the Motorola Atrix 4G smartphone. Do not attempt to flash this CM10 preview ROM with any other phone or tablet system.
- The ‘how-to’ guide will ask you to wipe data and factory reset the device, which means that all installed apps will be removed in the process. Proceed to move the other important files to your device’s internal or external sdcard. These two won’t be changed during the ROM installation process.
- To save the applications, SMS, Call Logs and the APN Settings you should use the following Android utilities: AppBAK for Android apps backups | SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore.
- To save your Phone Contacts use the ‘how-to sync Contacts with Gmail‘ guide.
- Enable USB debugging option on your phone.
- Charge the phone’s battery so that the device won’t switch OFF during the installation of CM10 alpha ROM.
- The Atrix 4G should be rooted and the CWM Recovery image has to be installed on it.
- It is recommended for you to create a full backup of the currently installed ROM and you should
- Read all the tutorial instructions I’ve listed and make sure that you apply all actions. Do not skip any steps as that will result in a failed attempt to install the new CM10 based Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean ROM.
- We cannot be held responsible in case your device gets bricked during the update process and you should continue with these changes only if you’re an advanced Android user. If you have any other questions please use the comments section.
Now that you know and read all of the above, you should continue with the rest of the instructions that I have listed. The tutorial guide contains advanced instructions. It is recommended that you read all the instructions I have listed in the tutorial guide before starting to apply the changes. Make sure that in case you fail at your first attempt to flash the new ROM, you will ask for help in comments.
Update Motorola Atrix 4G to Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean with CM10 Alpha ROM
- Download the ROM zip package from HERE. Save the file on your computer. Do not extract the contents of the zip.
- Download the GApps for Jelly Bean zip HERE. This one will help you install the Google-based apps such as Gmail, Gtalk, Play Store, Google Now and other ones that you need if you wish to take control over all the functions of your phone.
- Move the files you downloaded at steps 1 and 2 to your Atrix 4G internal sdcard. After that you need to disconnect the device from your PC and power it OFF.
- Next, boot into CWM Recovery mode. It can be done by holding ‘volume down’ and ‘power’ buttons pressed. Hold the Volume Down button until you notice the ‘fastboot’ text displayed in the top left part of the screen. Press now volume down repeatedly until that option changes to ‘Android Recovery’ and when that is displayed you need to press Volume Up to select it. This will load the CWM Recovery mode for your phone.
- When you’re into ClockworkMod Recovery you will need to select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ option. Confirm and wait until the process is complete.
- Now select ‘install zip from sdcard’ and from the next menu select ‘choose zip from sdcard’ Find the ROM zip file and confirm its installation.
- Repeat step 6 and install the ‘GApps’ zip file. After the installation of Google Apps is complete you should return to the main custom recovery screen.
- Select ‘reboot system now’ and wait until the first boot process of CM10 Alpha Jelly Bean ROM loads all its files. When the home screen of Jelly Bean appears you are done.
- Enter your Google Account credentials and gain control over your phone. That should be all and now your device is running Google’s latest Android OS release.
NOTE: if your device gets stuck at the boot logo or in case it gets into a boot loop, then you will have to remove its battery and then re-insert it back on. Now repeat the entire tutorial once again and make sure that you apply the step 5 as that one is mandatory as otherwise the installation cannot be completed. However, it has been reported that users coming from CM9 ROM will be able to flash this early build of CM10 without wiping data. Use the comments section and tells what did the trick for you.
If you have any other questions please feel free to post them at the end of this article.
This tutorial should’ve helped you flash CyanogenMod 10 alpha build on your Motorola Atrix 4G and now you should start testing all new Jelly Bean features.