It has been a while since Motorola last provided an OS update for its Cliq 2 handsets, not to mention that the ICS firmware is spreading and upgrading numerous Android powered devices lately. But, things are about to get changed as finally Motorola released the official Gingerbread 2.3 update for the Cliq 2 users. I know that it’s not that spectacular as many of us might expect the Ice Cream Sandwich instead, though this is better than nothing, isn’t it? So, if you want to apply the Gingerbread firmware on your Cliq 2 I recommend you to follow this step by step guide, just for making things properly.
The procedure will not be hard to complete as we are not dealing with custom ROMs or beta firmware, which requires more complex operations. But for avoiding unpleasant situations you shouldn’t try to install the Gingerbread update by yourselves; all you have to do is to read and do the steps from this how to guide and everything should be fine. I will describe all the aspects that need to be known, so make sure you don’t skip any section from the present tutorial.
Remember that this is not an Android 4.0 update and there are no words about its possible launch, so if you want to enjoy the ICS experience on your Cliq 2 you should go and install a custom ROM into your phone’s system. But, since then, the Gingerbread firmware should be enough for satisfying your demands. The software is coming with several improvements and bug fixes; you can see them as I have list the features in the image from below.
Being the official version of the software, applying the same will not make you lose the smartphone’s warranty. So, if you somehow do something wrong you can go and ask for assistance. Furthermore, installing the Gingerbread update on your Cliq 2 will make you void the root access (in case you have a rooted device). That means that after flashing the firmware you will have to re-root the handset but by following a guide which is suitable with the new ROM. Anyway, this will be the perfect opportunity for those who want to downgrade or re-install the official variant of the Android platform on their phones.
Another aspect that must be known is referring to the data which is stored on the phone’s internal storage memory. It’s improbable to lose it, but as usual, before starting to apply something on a device it’s recommended to backup the data first. Why risk losing precious and important personal info, when you can previously save it? For backing up and also for restoring the data from your Cliq 2 you can follow:
- Download SMS backup and restore apps.
- Download Call log backup and restore for Android.
- Sync with Google in order to save the contacts.
- Use a computer or SD card for any other files.
Furthermore, for being able to update the Motorola Cliq 2 with Official Gingerbread 2.3 firmware you must first make the next tasks. These are the so called pre requisites and it’s important to read them:
- Make sure that your phone has enough battery power left. There should be at least 70% power left in the system.
- Deactivate the Firewall and security programs from the handset and for the computer you will have to use.
- Follow “Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging” for enabling the USB debugging option from your device.
We are now done with the preparations. Let’s head to the next and final section of the present step by step guide.
How to Update Motorola Cliq 2 with Official Gingerbread 2.3
- The first thing you must take care of is referring to the update. You must go to Motorola’s Official Cliq 2 support page (link here).
- Follow the list of minimum requirements and in the end select “I have read Step 3?.
- The download button will now be enabled.
- Download the MSU application and save the same on your computer.
- Open it and install the app.
- From the PC open the MSU tool.
- Take your phone and connect it to the computer by using its USB cord.
- Follow the prompts from the MSU app.
- After the installation operation ends you should see the home screen on your handset.
- As soon as you see it, disconnect the device from the PC (remove the USB cable).
You can check if the update is installed properly by going to “Settings -> About Phone”. The firmware version number 2.0.87 should be listed. So, as you can tell, your Motorola Cliq 2 is now running the official Gingerbread 2.3 operating system, meaning that our job is over. In case you encounter issues during the up-detailed procedure, share the problems with us and we will do all that we can in order to clarify things up.